• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Barrow

Match result

• Rovers

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Barrow

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Barrow
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 24, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 24, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ADD

Player
Norwood
Yep 1 point it is we need to be safe from either game. Just seen that MP and NP are doing their next Facebook Q & A this Thursday before our play off spot is confirmed either way! Suggests to me the decision to keep on Hill has been made irrespective of whether we go up as surely otherwise they would delay until after the season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yep 1 point it is we need to be safe from either game. Just seen that MP and NP are doing their next Facebook Q & A this Thursday before our play off spot is confirmed either way! Suggests to me the decision to keep on Hill has been made irrespective of whether we go up as surely otherwise they would delay until after the season.
I admire their bottle re the timing as I expect they will get a lot of flack, most of it undeserved. After all would you ever get John W Henry, Stan Kroenke or Roman Abramovich answering any questions from the fans? Only to their shareholders (i.e. themselves!).

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I doubt they will get much criticism. These meetings are generally well received and they would not be asked, or answer, direct questions about the managerial position, which is as it should be anyway.

I don't think the staging of this meeting restricts their ability to make decisions when the season has ended.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The timing is strange, maybe it’s to bolster support for next years season-tickets? While it’s a positive they’re trying to keep fans updated, the questions are mainly from those e-mailed in advance or during the course of the meeting, so not exactly a firing squad as they can swerve the ones they don’t want to answer.

I’m not sure that a firm decision has been made on Keith Hill’s future yet and with all options open for Rovers would be surprising to do so. Worst case scenario we lose both remaining games and miss out on the play-offs, think there would be some questions about Keith carrying on.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The timing is strange, maybe it’s to bolster support for next years season-tickets?
I think so Boz. I think they will use it as a platform to push the ticket sales for next year.
It will be interesting to see what they say regarding Hill.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
I think that those who do the most complaining online don't have the cojones to do it direct to their faces (you know the ones, those who used to refer to Micky as a 'melon'.... So it will be a reasonably sensible q and a with legitimate 'why did or didn't they' queries. As for Hill, had he been in charge from the beginning of the season, in all probability Tranmere would now be at least 5 points better off, which is in the automatics.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I think that those who do the most complaining online don't have the cojones to do it direct to their faces (you know the ones, those who used to refer to Micky as a 'melon'.... So it will be a reasonably sensible q and a with legitimate 'why did or didn't they' queries. As for Hill, had he been in charge from the beginning of the season, in all probability Tranmere would now be at least 5 points better off, which is in the automatics.
We would not necessarily be in the automatic places if Hill had been in charge all season, as has been demonstrated. For one thing, we have no idea what the quality of his recruitment would have been last summer relative to Jackson's.

Constructive criticism of the performance of the manager is perfectly valid, provided it is not abusive.

I don't see much criticism of the owner on this site, and even where concerns are raised, those that criticise are often contributing to the club in numerous unseen ways themselves.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I quite like the Q&A but I think a lot of it isn't really for the fans to get their questions across but more for Nicola and Mark to have their say in a controlled environment. A lot of it I would imagine will be about the season tickets for next season, ongoing plans at the club as mentioned by AM in another thread. I can't imagine much will be said regarding Hill other than to say the players, manager etc all need supporting as we look toward the season end. It's a good PR exercise without the real constructive, tricky stuff.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
At least our owners have a "face" which can't be said for all clubs. These sessions just reinforce that and help generate a connection with the fans. I probably won't watch it this time but think it is a great initiative to be applauded. Of course there is information and thoughts that they won't share and that is as it should be.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Tend to agree that will just be good pr rather than anything revealing as such.

Player
aldo
I don,t agree, I think it is great that we have the chance to ask propper questions, I also believe that they will give some insight into some of the ventures the club is going to announce in the next few months, I have enjoyed the Facebook Q&As that they have done apart from the last one when they had loads of tech issues

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
We would not necessarily be in the automatic places if Hill had been in charge all season, as has been demonstrated. For one thing, we have no idea what the quality of his recruitment would have been last summer relative to Jackson's.

Constructive criticism of the performance of the manager is perfectly valid, provided it is not abusive.

I don't see much criticism of the owner on this site, and even where concerns are raised, those that criticise are often contributing to the club in numerous unseen ways themselves.
Nowhere did I mention criticism of the owner by anyone on this this site so how did you come to that conclusion, given I referred to 'Melon' which was never ever used on this site? To be clear, I meant the likes of so called fans on twitter and some other forums. It is those sort of people who won't ask a rational question. As for Hill, everyone has and is entitled to an opinion . It doesn't mean that any one person is right about everything. I happen to think Hill would have done well had he been in at the start. There are always unknowns. That is obvious. Anyway, time will tell. I hope he stays should Tranmere not be promoted so he has a full season with players of his choosing and with fans in attendance. Constructive criticism should also be counterbalanced by praise when due. And to be honest, it's hardly constructive unless it is given to the person in question. Opinions on a forum he doesn't read would not result in any behaviour change on his part.

Player
Manager
John King
Forums are not intended to prompt behaviour changes in managers, they simply give a voice to supporters, which is particularly important in the current context where there is so little face to face interaction. If criticism was only permitted when it was communicated directly to the manager, forums like this would become echo chambers and would not be particularly stimulating.

It is all rather ironic because down the years on this forum I have generally been in the position of defending incumbent managers against criticism, but that does not mean that I and others have to simply brush aside doubts they might have about Keith Hill. In all honesty, I have not really formed a definitive view on Hill yet and I am sure quite a few others feel the same way. I have actually given him and the players plenty of praise and I don't accept that the comments on this site are unbalanced.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don,t agree, I think it is great that we have the chance to ask propper questions
Yes, it's great fans get to ask proper questions AM but they are cherry picked to fit in with whatever they choose to discuss on the night. I'd imagine quite a lot of the questions are regarding the manager and as RLC mentions above, the jury is still out with a lot of people. Anyway, let's hope it's informative to some degree.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
They are ok but its all just good pr really, on a previous one they wouldn't discuss potential legal action over our demotion in case the sumbody from the league were listening and never even came out to say were not proceeding with it. Don't expect any searching questions about the manager, the style of football or January recruitment