• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Barrow

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A big game for rovers on Saturday as we look to bounce back from the terrible result on Monday. Barrow lie 20th in the league some 13 points behind rovers and only 3 from the relegation zone. Their recent form has been patchy - their boxing day/new years day fixtures with Wrexham both resulted in draws with the cumbrians grabbing a last minute equaliser at the racecourse on Monday where there manager Ady Pennock was sent off during the 3-3 draw. Their game in between saw a defeat at Solihull. They have no stand out players although Diarra at the back is a big presence. Yussuf up front has some pace.

Mickeys pre match conference gave no clue as to how long Davies will be out with a 10 inch rupture. He gave no indiciation of whether they will start with Pilling but hinted they would bring someone in only if they could get the right person. My bet is Luke will be given a chance and we'll see how we go.

No other injuries other than the long terms and Mickey suggested the whole group seemed fresh in training. It'll be interesting whether Clarke returns as surely this needs to be happen. Whether Larnell Cole retains his place remains to be seen. With McDonough gone Kirby may come back on the bench or Mangan who is back. Mickey was unsurprisingly non committal on whether the recent rumours linked Mangan with Oldham or Dunn/McEveley being told they are not part of his plans.

My team would be as Fylde but Clarke in for Liam and possibly someone in for Cole. One option is to play Rides left back and Eddie left wing, with Connor on the right. However CJ has been scoring aplenty cutting inside from the left. Other option is go back to 5-3-2 and play Bucko and Clarke as wing backs - but i dont want Rides at centre back or McEveley anywhere near the team. Gumbs could come back in though meaning CJ in the hole behind Nors & Cook in a 5-3-2. The two Ollys staying in the midd.e.

Prediction: rovers to get back on track with a 2-0 win. We cannot afford another defeat with a trip to Wrexham next week.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Like Sparky, I would go with the same team as at Fylde but with Clarke replacing Ridehalgh at left back. If Pilling does start in goal you have to give Mellon a lot of credit for the way he has backed the youngsters this season; previous managers would not have had Pilling anywhere near the team, whatever his potential.

I was quite looking forward to this game in the absence of Paul Cox, but then I remembered Barrow have Pennock in charge whose teams are even more physical and cynical. His FGR side was the dirtiest I have ever seen at Prenton Park. We generally struggle at Barrow and I think it will be a scrappy affair, but it is vital we get three points. The hosts' form has picked up since Pennock took over, but they are no great shakes and were apparently fortunate to get a point at Wrexham on Monday. However, they do have Harrison and White up front who will be a handful and will have to be watched.

Prediction: Rovers to get back on track with a victory in front of 4-500 SWA.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I should just add that while the next two matches are away from home they are both very winnable. Our away form has to improve dramatically in the second half of the season if we are going to challenge for first, or even second and third, places.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I do also think this will be a scrappy affair, but I think if we can get that first goal, we might see a few going in but I think it may well be a frustrating first half.

Agreed about the away form. It’s not been good enough at all but the title is there for the most consistent over the next few months.

I really hope Flyde was just a blip and we continue our excellent form whilst scoring plenty of goals.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Was hoping to make this, but currently down with cold/man flu thing. Given my recent record at away games, this might not be a bad thing...

I felt that regardless of the final goalkeeping choice, MM ought to have said something positive about Luke Pilling in his pre-match comments. If we can't get a replacement keeper in for this game, which seems to be the manager's preference, then it wouldn't have hurt to boost Luke's confidence. Even an experienced keeper arriving may not fit into our defence instantly and I have some misgivings about signing one Friday and have them in the nets at Barrow.

Elsewhere, I wonder if Ridehalgh might keep his place at left-back, though think Clarke would be the better choice, particularly if we only have Cole as the notional wide right player. Otherwise as you were, with no new injuries aside from Davies. Mangan is back, although I think Kirby might offer more options from the bench.

After the amazing 3-4, we've lost the last two at Barrow, an undistinguished Cup defeat and a more fortunate league win for the hosts. I think this game will be challenging and the side need to demonstrate some mental toughness after the defensive suicide at Fylde. Unsure how it will go, but it could define our season.

Player
aldo
I hope and dont think . That the boys are gonna be hurting after new years day . Think there pride might have been hurt . Also could be a kick up the arse they need after sutch a good run . Get clark back in he gives us width an from wat ive seen most defences dont like players running at em an he seems to be doing it more than most out wide . Especially with no other wingers now playing . Wat was the point bringing an paying for green . Who is doing the transfers at the club most of them this season have been massive cock ups . With a few good players to norburn . Dmh . And banks . But we have brought one or two players. And with are lack of money we cant afford to wast it . Is it jones who sorts it or is palios doing it or mm with jones it needs sorting eva way

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Queing up outside Fylde in freezing wind and rain, and not much better inside the ground (as nice as it is, its exposed) I wondered whether the boys would be up for it. They weren't....though perhaps not because of the conditions?
They will likely face a similar bleak scenario tomorrow so I do hope it was just a bad day at the office up there.
Coming in for Clarke, Rides was under intense scrutiny and I don't think he performed any worse than half a dozen of the others. Prior to Eddie's emergence he's been terrific this season.
Hope Pilling keeps his shirt. At three nil down and a blancmange of a team in front of him he was on a hiding to nothing when he came on. Do think we will miss Scottie's presence though.
If Mangs is back, I'd be happy to see him take up the right hand side. He'll work hard and make himself available out wide.... something Cole failed to do on Monday.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I know it’s only 2 games but I was expecting more from Cole. Bit disappointed with his contributions. Maybe the desire is not there.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Cole does have talent but as Ian says, you do wonder about whether he fancies the rough and tumble of the national league, especially at this time of the year.

Micky does like his favourites and often brings players in who he's had at other clubs. I guess it works sometimes e.g McNulty and Davies, but not with the likes of mangan and Cole so far.

I'll give Cole a bit longer but having got ourselves into a decent position in the league, we can't afford passengers between now and the end of the season

Player
Manager
John King
Queing up outside Fylde in freezing wind and rain, and not much better inside the ground (as nice as it is, its exposed) I wondered whether the boys would be up for it. They weren't....though perhaps not because of the conditions?.
Fylde is actually quite palatial compared to most grounds we visit !

I don't think our poor away form is anything to do with the conditions or facilities; most of our players have spent their whole careers at this level. The performances have not been too bad away from home in the majority of matches, but there has been a sloppiness and lack of concentration which has let us down.

M

Mal

Liverpool demonstrate that no amount of money can stop the 'switching off' issue where well paid and self worth estimation (for the division) are concerned. I wonder what Lincoln Management team do to get round that? Lincoln had the odd blip but always recovered.

Player
aldo
ANd clark has to play . If banks has gone then it must be harris to replace. hughes is to slow an doint do it for me

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Losing two players, Banks and DMH, who were instrumental, in our improvement is a big blow. Losing Scott Davies to injury, a player who has been a generally reliable keeper and is used to working with the defenders at the club is also a blow. As Wharton was playing for the Youth side today, it looks like the new keeper, presume Taylor, has been recruited and will start, but it's always challenging to fit in straight away in that position.
Feeling less hopeful now than when I posted originally.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Cole retains his place. Think his deal ends this month so about time he earnt his corn

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
New keeper Taylor starts. Personally would have left him on the bench for this game and give Pilling a start, but if he keeps a clean sheet, Mellon’s decision will be vindicated.

Clarke returns by poplular demand and Harris preferred to Hughes.The manager keeps faith with Cole, Kirby only on the bench.

M

Mal

Who'd be Micky heh, criticism every time . Clarke is a youngster. With Rides fit and needing game time, presumably Micky thought it wise to give Clarke a rest after such a number of games in a short time as recovery time is crucial. And Clarke does give his all in games from what I have seen. I don't think 'popular demand' makes a winning team, otherwise we wouldn't need a manager!