• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v 'Ammies'

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Salford

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

drwhoman

I have only seen the brief highlights but it looked to me re the Spearing sending off that the ref was pressured by Salford. The guy who Spearing fouled promptly got up and joined the complaint squad confronting the referee. He was clearly not injured by a dangerous tackle as would normally be the case. i suppose we cannot expect top class refs at L2 level unfortunately.

ADD

Player
Norwood
A very good performance as others have said. Only slight disappointment after they went down to 10 that we started playing a liittle too much round the back rather than going straight for the jugular and getting that early second goal. Nevitt goal really well taken and he is coming on briliantly. Does not look the slightest bit out of place already. Only one flaw in his game today which MM and Dawes will work with him on no doubt was several times when he tried to make short off load passes with his back to goal they went straight to a Salford player who counterattacked and put us under pressure.
Change of formation was massive difference and thought MacDonald now being fit again is a massive fillip for the team as we looked so much more balanced. As others have said Foley and McManaman exceptional today and Morris also played well although not a great penalty! Cogley is a sensational player at this level - TBH that may well end up being our best transfer business getting him on a 2 year deal - he is better than L2 for sure. Hawkes also starting to gel nicely.
All in all so much better with the change in shape and hopefully we can kick on from this...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
After the first red card Salford immediately dropped deep and went into damage limitation mode, which made it difficult for us to break them down, and is why the tempo of the game dropped for a period. However, it was impressive that when it was ten v ten we still looked like we had an extra player.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If any of us are in any doubt as to why Micky is TRFC manager and not one of us, then yesterday's game must have convinced them. Yes, we all went for four at the back but many wanted Morris to be dropped but he ends up as MoM. After his two goals on Tuesday, everyone is saying Maynard should start up front, but he doesn't even get on as a sub. Then many of us criticised Nevitt, doubted his potential at this level and said he had to operate with partner. I am sure Micky doesn't look at White Review for advice! ;)

Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
All reasonable points, although he did specifically mention the need for Nevitt to improve his movement in the box in his post match interview, which is something I (and possibly others) had commented on many times. I will also claim credit for choosing the same starting eleven, if you substitute Nevitt for Maynard. ☺

Mellon works with the players every day in training and is in a better position to judge, for example, whether Merrie is deserving of a starting place, which is something a lot of people have been calling for.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just seen the highlights. Definately red for Salford, never a red for Spearing. Terrible decision.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I wasn't at the game, but it sounded like we started more adventurously than the last home game and were helped by the relatively early red card for Touray, so credit to Micky for adapting the formation and the tactical adjustments he made after Spearing's dismissal.

On players, I have always liked Morris and happy to see him in the starting xi in his rightful position. From the games I've seen, Merrie is a better option at left back, although hopefully we have the best option of all in Calum Macdonald in that position, if he's recovered from the shin-splints issue..

Currently Merrie is one of only 3 players we have under contract next season and we paid a fee for him too. Unlike Jolley, who had looked out of his depth whenever given match time, Merrie looked competent filling in at left-back and in midfield for his Pizza Cup game v Leeds. His red card was much harsher than the one given to Spearing yesterday imo, the club agreed it was worth an appeal, which didn't succeed, but he's barely featured since. It would be interesting to know why he's so out of favour, but due to his contract situation, hope that more opportunities are given to him as part of the future of the team in the short-term. I would have had him on the bench yesterday, but as O'Connor is also capable of playing in midfield, it wasn't a major problem.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Mellon will always pick the team he believes will get a result, and the contract status of the players should not be part of that decision, unless he is choosing between two players of absolutely equivalent form and ability.

I think we can see that in his backing of Nevitt, who was a speculative punt who is being paid buttons, and the recent omission of Glatzel and Mani. Mellon has selected Nevitt on merit, not status or background.

From what I have seen so far, Merrie would be behind Spearing, Foley and O'Connor in the midfield pecking order. I actually though he looked better at left back than in midfield.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Just seen the highlights. Definately red for Salford, never a red for Spearing. Terrible decision.
Will be classed as too forceful and if we appeal I don't expect it to be overturned.
I actually thought we were better without Spearing yesterday and would start him next Saturday.

Player
ian goodison
If any of us are in any doubt as to why Micky is TRFC manager and not one of us, then yesterday's game must have convinced them. Yes, we all went for four at the back but many wanted Morris to be dropped but he ends up as MoM. After his two goals on Tuesday, everyone is saying Maynard should start up front, but he doesn't even get on as a sub. Then many of us criticised Nevitt, doubted his potential at this level and said he had to operate with partner. I am sure Micky doesn't look at White Review for advice! ;)
to be fair BBTC I have been critical on MM in the past yes he changed the selection/formation but after seeing the difference between Lund who we were supposed to be chasing and Foley which was like chalk & cheese I'll now let him manage!!!! and as for Salford being a big club shocking turnout from them

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Salford were never comfortable at any point in the match. 11v11 were we all over them, 11v10 they turned into a defensive wall, 10v10 we were all over them. How much have they spent?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Salford were never comfortable at any point in the match. 11v11 were we all over them, 11v10 they turned into a defensive wall, 10v10 we were all over them. How much have they spent?
Their wage bill is probably the highest in this league yet going forward without Henderson and mcaleny they were very poor.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
My first visit to PP since 8th Feb 2020 (a 2-0 defeat to Portsmouth) and what an enjoyable afternoon it was. We're clearly still a work in progress but there are lots of positives with the quality retained from last season and new signings looking more than comfortable. We played some entertaining stuff, especially in the 2nd half, stand out performances for me came from Cogley, Davies, Nevitt and the on-loan keeper. Great to see a Micky fist pump at the final whistle, like he'd never been away, which, for me, he hadn't!

I blagged a half-price ticket to the Ray Mathias suite with my Dad and despite the investment it is still a bit of a disappointment, the food and beer is mediocre and not worth the price of the ticket, didn't see any of the Class of 92 either.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Best performance for many a while. not only this season but last as well. Outstanding showings by MacDonald, Foley, Morris and our dynamic right sided duo of Cogley and McManaman. Signs at last that the team is gelling and augurs well for the future. Onwards and upwards.

Player
aldo
keep saying it I wish they would just let us in for a few games to run the bloody place again today we had a carvery all fresh massive Yorkies-duck fat roast pots 16hr slow-roasted sirloin beef cooked to 48degrease rare and pink yum

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
keep saying it I wish they would just let us in for a few games to run the bloody place again today we had a carvery all fresh massive Yorkies-duck fat roast pots 16hr slow-roasted sirloin beef cooked to 48degrease rare and pink yum
Do you deliver to Tunbridge Wells? ;)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
My first visit to PP since 8th Feb 2020 (a 2-0 defeat to Portsmouth) and what an enjoyable afternoon it was. We're clearly still a work in progress but there are lots of positives with the quality retained from last season and new signings looking more than comfortable. We played some entertaining stuff, especially in the 2nd half, stand out performances for me came from Cogley, Davies, Nevitt and the on-loan keeper. Great to see a Micky fist pump at the final whistle, like he'd never been away, which, for me, he hadn't!

I blagged a half-price ticket to the Ray Mathias suite with my Dad and despite the investment it is still a bit of a disappointment, the food and beer is mediocre and not worth the price of the ticket, didn't see any of the Class of 92 either.
Gary Neville was there