• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v 'Ammies'

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Salford

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Next up for Rovers is a visit from the club with the most ironic nickname in the Football League. Salford have spent big again and have a squad full of good names for this level, including Ian Henderson and alleged Rovers transfer target Connor McAleny. However, as in previous seasons they have failed to gel thus far and come to Prenton Park in patchy form, albeit they won their last game versus Bradford. Gary Neville is apparently going to grace us with his presence.

As for Rovers, I thought it was a very good pre-match interview from Micky, who discussed the difficulties of incorporating eighteen new players into the squad, several of whom are not yet match fit, and expressed confidence that results will improve in due course.

I think there will be changes to the starting line up in light of the EFL Trophy victory on Tuesday night, and I think five at the back might be ditched for this game. I would start with the following line up:

Doohan
Cogley Clarke Davies MacDonald / Merrie
Spearing Foley
Feeney / MacManaman Hawkes Morris
Maynard

We will hopefully show the same attacking intent that we saw in the closing stages of the Hartlepool and Rochdale games for the full ninety minutes, and I think we will take something from the game. I expect the attendance will be just over 6,000, with Salford bringing no more than 3-400 fans.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I do hope we won't play 3 centre halves but think we will, be a tough game I'm going for a draw 1 1

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
It's wonderful to read such a positive post.
I wish I had the same optimism.
I would like to win this game but I think if we get a draw, I might be happy as long as we put a decent performance in..
Salford have a recognised striker who scores his fair share for them on a regular basis.
And they have spent again on decent players at this level.

It is a usual thing for MM, to change the team every game and I expect a couple of changes from last Saturday.

And I will remind you, that it's important that because of age, we will have to get use to conceding late goals. And if we struggle to score a 0-1 scoreline is the likely outcome.

It's a big game Saturday!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Salford's squad is a strong one and as well as McAleney, we were also linked with Matty Lund and Villa winger Tyreik Wright, who ended up on loan with them. Make no mistake, this will be a difficult game and with a trip to Forest Green to follow, we really need to get something out of it.

I don't think Tuesday's win against Leeds kids makes life easier for MM, it muddies the waters in some ways as he has to accommodate the players who did well in that game, while keeping an age balance in the team as if he just selects an older players xi, there is a danger that we'll run out of legs. While I'd rather we played a back four, if we do it will be Tom Davies who's dropped. Foley played well in the Pizza Cup, but I have reservations about him and Spearing being too pedestrian in midfield. Is Macmanaman recovered from the Rochdale injury? Think if we're playing Maynard as a lone striker, as in RLCs suggested line-up, I'd want both the more agile duo of Hawkes and Walker to start, to avoid leaving Nicky too isolated..

Another game I'll be missing, hopefully for the SWA, it's an improvement on the first half v Pools. I'll hold off on predicting until I see the line-up.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think Walker is fit enough to start yet and I think we miss Morris's creativity in the advanced areas. You could argue that Maynard would be more effective in a front two with Nevitt, but if we play Elliott we have to sacrifice one of the creative midfield players, and we create too little at the moment.

I love Nevitt's workrate but I don't think he carries enough of a goal threat.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we play five at the back we are asking for trouble in this game. We need more control in midfield so we can at least muster a few shots on goal and provide the home fans with some attacking play. I like RLC team posted above. I hope Micky does too!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm feeling more positive after Tuesday, although the Leeds defence seemed to part like the Red Sea whenever Rovers attacked. I don't expect Salford to make it as easy, but Micky will surely have learned from the last match and the team must be feeling more confident. Fingers crossed. Who knows, we may even score twice. ;)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree that RLCs line-up looks good, though Maynard isn’t fully match fit. Would prefer Walker over Macmanaman even if he’s not fully fit as he adds pace and more of a physical presence to the team. Suspect Micky will come up with something different though.

Last edited:

ADD

Player
Norwood
I would like to think that MM will ditch the 5 at the back and switch to 442 but not sure he will.
Definitely start with MacDonald assuming he has had no reaction from Tuesday night,
Would like to see Nevitt and Maynard together. Midfield is trickier - Hawkes has to start IMO however.
Not expecting it to be a great game if I am honest - think it will be niggly. Would probably happily take a draw though I would take us playing with desire and attacking intent. Playing as we have been (don't count Leeds U18's) will see enthusiasm and crowds wither.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
i just hope we have enough pace and energy in the team as I still have concerns about the age of the squad. Hawkes brings some of this but I’d hoped Walker would start too but may not be fit. like RLC I don’t think nevitt will score enough to take us where we want to go so Maynard after his brace on Tuesday has to start. Rovers haven’t been great to watch of late and hopefully we’ll see some goals and exciting attacking play.

prediction: a score draw

Player
aldo
1 team I want us to beat is this lot I really hope we get a few, but the way we have been playing the last few weeks who knows, I don,t use hate often but I hate this lot. so I hope we have a good day and batter them

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Even if we don't win today I hope to see more posative intent create chances bring some excitement and hopefully play a back 4.

Reactions: Ian

ADD

Player
Norwood
1631970162092.png

Player
Manager
John King
MacDonald starts in a back four, with Morris deployed further forward and Foley in place of Watson. However, Maynard is only on the bench, which is a surprise.