• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Accrington Stanley

Player
aldo
good man oh yes im fkn missing it again thanks to hundreds wanting are food . its just gone crazy.. we are doing something right.. . ok with the ferry man and blacky bang on form and Caprise getting loads of quality balls in the box . the boys are going to be up for this and the fans will as norm ROAR the lads home . some of us sad fkers are going to be doing another 100 Turkey dinners . must have done over 800 this week . and the next 2 weeks are mental . i an having to draft all my chef mates in as we just dont have the hands . i will get to a home game in the new year been ages and im missing the buzz of seeing my Beloved rovers . and Spending my time in the tent WITH THE BEST FANS IN THE WORLD

ADD

Player
Norwood
Big big game today as already pointed out - I feel we really need to take something from it and ideally 3 points. Good news is that RHM does not have a broken leg and indeed might apparently even be available today according to MM although I very much doubt he will be risked. Stanley have had 14 days off so will that help or hinder them v us who will have played 3 games in 6 days?
Of course many players will be brought back in. CBJ will be available - though I am sure MM will stick with Rides. Woods came through the game with "only some stiffness". Personally I think he offers more than Caprice but playing again so soon after his comeback 90 minutes is a big ask so suspect Caprice will play. Like RLC I also think we will go 442 though I would prefer Payne up front with Ferrier assuming that RHM is not fit. The other interesting player is Danny Walker Rice. I thought he was excellent on Wednesday and especially his set piece delivery which I think could be a real benefit with him targetting Nelson and Monthe at corners and attacking free kicks Unlikely to start of course but I would like to see him on the bench and I thought he offered enough to be a genuine player to turn to if we need a more direct approach later in the game....

Player
aldo
5500 now booked for today with around 260 away thats real poor from accy but not a shock there .6500 and a good performance ,

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Also going to be missing this one, probably the AFC Wimbledon the only game will make this month. With regards to CBJ, say mention that he'd returned to Man Utd for treatment on a hip problem.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Accrington have suffered this season from the sad circumstances surrounding Billy Key. He is very much their talisman, similar to Henderson at Rochdale, and had he been available Accy might be pushing towards mid-table. They have a few other familiar names in their squad, such as experienced defender Mark Hughes, the talented Sam Finlay in midfield and ex-Southport striker Dion Charles.

Coleman has done a superb job there and they are always competitive, and the slight air of complacency surrounding this game worries me a bit if I am honest. It will be a very tough match.

Micky has switched between a back four and a back five in recent weeks, but I think he might go with a four man defence on Saturday. I would probably start with a midfield of Danns and Perkins / Potter, with Jennings just behind Ferrier and Morris and CBT out wide.

An absolutely huge game which we have to win.

I think the gate will be about 6,000, with 300 or so visitors.
It is the team above, with Perkins partnering Danns.

ADD

Player
Norwood
disappointed that DWR does not even make the subs bench after Wednesday... one thing that I have always felt is that MM does not trust the youth sufficiently...
Otherwise the team makes sense though I would have gone with Payne upfront...
We really have to start quickly today and try and dominate from the off... here's hoping!!

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with ADD that Walker-Rice deserved a spot on the bench after midweek. Perkins-Danns in midfield only works well if both are close to full fitness.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Shaky start but grew into the game. CBT been excellent down the left. All to play for second half.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Other half-time scores not encouraging. Lincoln 1-0 up at Burton, Rochdale ditto at Rotherham, Wimbledon also at Bolton and even Southend 2-0 up at Bristol Rovers. MK Dons holding Doncaster away. Time for us to start kicking on.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Scott Davies off injured must be a concern? Sounded like we were second best for most of the opening half

Player
Manager
John King
A fair result.

I thought the first thirty minutes was awful. We were sloppy in possession and very poor without the ball in midfield, failing to press and winning too few second balls. The back four were constantly exposed and we were fortunate not to be out of the game at half time, with Pilling forced to make an outstanding save and a couple of other chances missed by Accy. When we did concede, it was yet another sloppy goal given away from a corner.

Fortunately we did gradually settle into the game and the equaliser was a fantastic move: great work down the left wing from CBT and good technique from Morris to strike a bouncing ball cleanly.

In the second half we were far more compact and probably the better side overall, with Perkins, Danns and Jennings all improving significantly. However, while we were better in possession we failed to create any clear opportunities and I never had the feeling that we would go on and win the game. Ferrier was very isolated up front throughout and I was surprised Micky did not bring on a second striker earlier. His reluctance to make changes suggests to me that he knew we could not afford to lose the game, as he is not generally so cautious.

Individually, I thought CBT was man of the match. He was a constant threat with his pace and trickery and was always available for the ball in the first half, when some of the more senior players went missing. Morris was excellent in the second half and Monthe and Rides had solid games. I think special praise also has to go to Luke Pilling who came on in difficult circumstances and was pretty much faultless in his performance. It will be interesting to see what the club do if Davies is out for any length of time.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Disappointing crowd of 5,700, although not completely unexpected at this time of year.

Dave dutton

Player
Connor jennings
Thought we set up not to lose right from the start.
Agree a second striker should have come on much sooner.
They were there for the taking in the second half.
Centre two not mobile enough in midfield.
Just my opinion disappointed today really needed to get at them and not sure we did enough of that.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
First half an hour we were woeful and it was no surprise when they scored. A good equaliser though and nice to see CBT get an assist after his recent goals. Second half we huffed and puffed and had a lot of the ball in their half and numerous corners - but their keeper was hardly tested - altho neither was Pilling to be fair.

we certainly deserved no more than a point but it was just disappointing we werent good enough to get a winner - but as RLC says, part of that was playing only one up front which I never like at home. CJ did ok in parts but again looked ineffective to me at this level. Ferrier worked hard but was an odd choice for MoM - I would have picked CBT. Didn’t see the point in bringing RHM on so late as the board went up for injury time.

this season will really go down to the wire.

Player
Manager
John King
With the possible exception of Banks (and perhaps Gilmour), we had a pretty much full strength squad to choose from today, but I think it was evident - as it was three months ago - that we simply don't have enough quality in the key areas.

January is going to be a big month for us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Very true. Once we settled into the game some of our play in the second half was good but came to nothing. For me, the full backs aren't good enough when you are reliant on them bombing forward getting quality crosses into the box. Caprice's crossing was awful today.

Agree with CBT as MOTM and fair play to Ferrier who worked hard but had a tough time against their centre backs and as has been said too isolated.