• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Accrington Stanley

Player
aldo
we have some massive games coming up we need some points from those games . lets start with a hard win against the accy . we need to back the club lets get positive . come on rovers its time to take the gloves of and kick some butts . play time is over we need wins and points

Player
ian goodison
love your gung ho spirit AM but don,t know which rovers will turn up 1st 20mins against Wycombe was brilliant then again we can be really poor going for a 2-1 win but keeping my fingers crossed

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
This will be a tricky game but one we really need to win and I think we will win 2 0

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Despite their poor start I would agree that this is "tricky". I don't think that Stanley have registered an away league win yet but they have come away from Bristol, Wycombe and Coventry with creditable draws. Their best result has undoubtedly been the 2-0 win against a "Nors-less" Ipswich and they did thrash 10 man Bolton last time out. All the teams immediately above us in the table have away fixtures so it would be great time to end our run of conceding in every game since the win at Coventry, but I can't see it so going with a narrow 2-1 or 3-2 win.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm starting to feel a lot more positive about our performances and feel we have a settled team at last. I think we'll take all three points with Ferrier having something to say. A win would be a great boost in the run up to Xmas and should see us climb a few places against fellow strugglers.

Player
ian goodison
I think the key will hopefully getting fit & a more settled line-up easier said than done at the moment,

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Accrington have suffered this season from the sad circumstances surrounding Billy Key. He is very much their talisman, similar to Henderson at Rochdale, and had he been available Accy might be pushing towards mid-table. They have a few other familiar names in their squad, such as experienced defender Mark Hughes, the talented Sam Finlay in midfield and ex-Southport striker Dion Charles.

Coleman has done a superb job there and they are always competitive, and the slight air of complacency surrounding this game worries me a bit if I am honest. It will be a very tough match.

Micky has switched between a back four and a back five in recent weeks, but I think he might go with a four man defence on Saturday. I would probably start with a midfield of Danns and Perkins / Potter, with Jennings just behind Ferrier and Morris and CBT out wide.

An absolutely huge game which we have to win.

I think the gate will be about 6,000, with 300 or so visitors.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Back again to "bread and butter" football. What worries me is that we have played our best (or at least our most effective) games in the cups or when playing against the better teams away (Coventry and Rotherham) and generally struggled at home against modest opposition (Southend, Rochdale, Shrewsbury). As a whole, the team has improved as a unit now the players are used to each other, but our last three home league games have produced just two goals and only one point. Our defence is also a worry with no clean sheets in the last ten games in all competitions. If Accy set up to defend and rely on breaking out quickly, our forwards may struggle to score while we are always likely to concede from set plays and quick breaks.

The optimist in me says we will turn this round soon so I am hoping for something like a 2-1 win, but it will be close and could easily go the other way.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I think Accrington have suffered this season from the sad circumstances surrounding Billy Key. He is very much their talisman, similar to Henderson at Rochdale, and had he been available Accy might be pushing towards mid-table. They have a few other familiar names in their squad, such as experienced defender Mark Hughes, the talented Sam Finlay in midfield and ex-Southport striker Dion Charles.

Coleman has done a superb job there and they are always competitive, and the slight air of complacency surrounding this game worries me a bit if I am honest. It will be a very tough match.

Micky has switched between a back four and a back five in recent weeks, but I think he might go with a four man defence on Saturday. I would probably start with a midfield of Danns and Perkins / Potter, with Jennings just behind Ferrier and Morris and CBT out wide.

An absolutely huge game which we have to win.

I think the gate will be about 6,000, with 300 or so visitors.
They do have some good players. Apart from those you mention above there is also Sean McConville who has played a big role since their return to the EFL. Colby Bishop has come from nowhere (Leamington in NLN) and is making a fair fist of replacing Key's goals.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Off topic, I have just seen the not unexpected news about Marco Silva. He's the fourth Everton boss to be sacked since Rovers appointed Micky Mellon. All four had success elsewhere, so you do wonder if it might be the club that's rotten and not the managers. Although appointing David Moyes may be a retrograde step, he may be the only one who'd want the job.

Player
Manager
John King
Off topic, I have just seen the not unexpected news about Marco Silva. He's the fourth Everton boss to be sacked since Rovers appointed Micky Mellon. All four had success elsewhere, so you do wonder if it might be the club that's rotten and not the managers. Although appointing David Moyes may be a retrograde step, he may be the only one who'd want the job.
They have been appallingy badly run since Moyes left. Spent a huge amount of money for little return, and they would be in big trouble if they did go down because of the size of some of the contracts they have handed out.

Player
aldo
500mill they have spent in 3 and a half years . its crazy money . and to think they will be in the Champ next year oh it would be amazing to take the pss out of some of my family and mates who are sad old Blues

Player
ian goodison
to be honest silva didn,t set the world alight at either hull or Watford and looked totally out of his depth at everton, still a big pay-off & knowing football won,t be out of work long, may end up back at Watford, stranger things have happened

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Back on topic, it sounds like RHM has not sustained a serious injury. Unsure if he's going to be fit for this game though. It wouldn't surprise me if Rovers went back to 3 at the back and wing-backs against Stanley. Probably a Ferrier-Payne or Ferrier-Jennings pairing up front. Wilson serving the final game of his suspension, but aside from the long-term absentees think everyone else is available.

Accrington have been punching above their weight under Coleman while alongside Mark and Nicola, Andy Holt is one of the best Chairs at this level. They had a rest due to missing out on the FA Cup 2nd round,their last league outing being a 7-1 thrashing of 10 man notlob. They will not be an easy opponent. It wouldn't surprise me if they took something from this game. Agree with a crowd of around 6k.

Player
aldo
its good that blacket taylor . and morgan are in hot form lets get the same now in the lg i wont both to score . looking at the last two games . the way if some one is free in the box there not having stupid shots from miles out there passing it to the best placed option . lets hope they keep doing it . 8 goals scored in last two games . ok not the best oppo but winning breeds winning

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Our recent performances against high flyers Wycombe were encouraging and shows we can compete. I'm taking a leaf out of AM book today. Let's be positive!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Our recent performances against high flyers Wycombe were encouraging and shows we can compete. I'm taking a leaf out of AM book today. Let's be positive!
Which game against Wycombe? The cup games or the league? That was my point. We raise our game when playing away or in a cup, but don't seem to be able to hack it at home in the league. But like you, I'm an optimist. Supporting Tranmere you have to be. ;)

Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
In fairness, we played ok in the majority of the league game as well.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
Said it before a match a couple of weeks ago. Like you say RLC, we have been ok and I’ve only seen us being outplayed on maybe 4 occasions (May have missed one somewhere).

drwhoman

Rovers need an early goal or two to up their confidence and to fire up the SWA. An inability to score while shipping soft goals must depress the team and the fans. We have seen darker times but not easy for Rovers at present and the injuries to useful players never helps. Here’s hoping for another Ferrier hat trick!