• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

ADD

Player
Norwood
I always liked Cole. He had a decent presence in and around the box and invariably managed to get a shot away. As KHB points out he was rarely first in the pecking order which after x years at the Club didn't help his development. He was never the finished article when he was with us but is looking more so now. The treatment he received from a section of Rovers' fans was nothing short of disgraceful (and embarrassing). I do think a step up to Championship is beyond him but wish him all the best.
100% agree the abuse he got was disgraceful.
Re Championship maybe you are right but he has scored 6 goals in 6 games, 2 of which were against Championship sides (not sure how strong mind you). IF he carries on scoring in a team which will struggle this season one of the lesser Championship sides may be tempted to take a punt. Either way if he establishes himself as a quality L1 player he will do well over the next few years financially.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I always liked Cole. He had a decent presence in and around the box and invariably managed to get a shot away. As KHB points out he was rarely first in the pecking order which after x years at the Club didn't help his development. He was never the finished article when he was with us but is looking more so now. The treatment he received from a section of Rovers' fans was nothing short of disgraceful (and embarrassing). I do think a step up to Championship is beyond him but wish him all the best.
Bar 1 short spell he didn't do anything for us and nothing in his time with us suggested he would improve much.
Glad he's done well and good luck to him but there's no pressure or expectation at Morecambe which is probably the key to his success there.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Bar 1 short spell he didn't do anything for us and nothing in his time with us suggested he would improve much.
Glad he's done well and good luck to him but there's no pressure or expectation at Morecambe which is probably the key to his success there.
Completely agree. Bar about two months in the National League he simply was not good enough when he was here, and he had plenty of opportunities. Other youngsters like Max Power received unwarranted criticism in the same period but were not remotely affected by it, so I don't think we can put his failure purely down to the reaction of the supporters.

In reality, he probably just took a long time to mature and can play without pressure at Morecambe, unlike his previous, bigger clubs.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Cole still faces a fair amount of pressure now at his current "small club" namely keeping the club that beat us in the playoffs in a League above us.
His 6 goals in 6 games suggest he is thriving on the pressure. Hope he continues in that vein.

Player
Manager
John King
The general expectation is that Morecambe will be relegated, and they have hardly any fans, so I would say the pressure is minimal. In fact, they have very little to lose at that level.

The reality is he failed at Tranmere, Carlisle, Hearts and Wrexham, and that can't simply be put down to the criticism of a minority of Tranmere supporters.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Good luck to him. I was never a fan, and always thought that he was limited in ability, however he is playing in the league above us, and has scored 6 goals, whereby we have scored 1 as a team combined. I cant imagine he is too worried about the fact that he 'failed 'at Tranmere when he looks at the current situation.

Too many blinkered fans on here that seem to think that we are still a club that should be playing above the league we are in. The reality of the matter is that we are a league 2 club that players do not seem keen to join (for whatever reason). I look at so called smaller clubs like Crawley who seem to have a much better recruitment policy.

The lack of a decent striker will cost us dearly this season. Micky is a pragmatic manager and will err on the side of caution by playing 5 at the back just not to lose games. We were lucky in the past that we had Cook, Norwood and Vaughan who could take 2 chances out of 3 and win a game when we were up against it.

Long season ahead based upon the squad we have, and one with many 0-0 being a positive result I fear.

Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure it is 'blinkered' to state that Tranmere, Carlisle, Hearts and Wrexham are bigger clubs than Morecambe. I think it is a statement of the obvious.

I have nothing against Stockton and wish him well, but nor do I believe as a club we have to indulge in some kind of guilt trip because his time here - and at the other clubs mentioned - was not a success.

That is football. It happens.

I also don't think there is any evidence from Mellon's previous period in charge that he is a negative manager. I think he is playing five at the back through necessity, not choice.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Jay Harris joins the other rovers old boys at Warrington Town

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Paul Mullin equalises as Wrexham draw with Notts County in the clash of two of the promotion contenders. Decent game.

Player
Manager
John King
Wrexham have had several bids for Swindon full back Rob Hunt rejected, but will no doubt sign him for a six figure sum in the end.

Crackers.

Player
aldo
imagine what will happen when the two yanks get fed up and Leave them or they see they are losing tons of cash

Player
Manager
John King
imagine what will happen when the two yanks get fed up and Leave them or they see they are losing tons of cash
Unfortunately, they might be in Brentford's position by the time that happens (I am not joking either). They are the biggest spending club ever at that level, and there have been a few in the past.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Probably their biggest challenge will be getting out of the NL, it looks one of the toughest in terms of squad strength and money to chuck around.

Player
Manager
John King
Probably their biggest challenge will be getting out of the NL, it looks one of the toughest in terms of squad strength and money to chuck around.
I think it is only a matter of time unfortunately, the same as for Crawley, FGR, Salford and the rest.

Ironic that they have struck gold just as we seem to be wobbling a bit as a club.

Player
ian goodison
browsing the rangers forum (as you do when retired) and noticed shay logan once on loan from man. city arrested for money laundering no update at present