• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I know Vaughan could not even train regularly when he was here, so he probably feels it is not worth wrecking his body for life for a few more months at this level. He is doing some kind of sports management course and probably wants to focus on that. I don't blame him.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I am surprised that there has been so little coverage of this. I’m not aware of any interviews. No details have been provided about his injury. I too wonder if he has lost his appetite for the game, although you wouldn’t think so from the way he plays. Retiring so young while still under contract, money can’t be an issue. Maybe he has decided to move on with his life. I wouldn’t be surprised if he does a Koumas and returns to the game after a short break.
He would have needed another bigger operation so I would think he didn't want go through another op and rehabilitation etc.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of ditching everyone who's out of contract, if that does prove to be the case. It's got the feel of throwing the baby out with the bath water. While we finished below expectations last season, we still made the play-offs and if James Vaughan had stayed fit, we'd have probably gone up, even with Hill in charge. Who's to say the new recruits will gel or like being based on Merseyside etc.
I agree, but I think a reasonable number of the current squad will be retained.

Player
Manager
John King
Bradford may be willing to offer him more money and possibly a longer deal. Rovers may only want to offer him a one-year extension. However, if Micky really wants to keep him, the club could offer him a testimonial. He has already been with us nearly eight years.
He is not guaranteed first team football here which is another factor. At his age he will want to play.

drwhoman

I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of ditching everyone who's out of contract, if that does prove to be the case. It's got the feel of throwing the baby out with the bath water. While we finished below expectations last season, we still made the play-offs and if James Vaughan had stayed fit, we'd have probably gone up, even with Hill in charge. Who's to say the new recruits will gel or like being based on Merseyside etc.
I agree with this. The other thought is that we may well have also gone up automatically if the start under Jacko had not been so dreadful, even with Hill. The point about Vaughan and our inability to compensate for his loss is also a good one. Some players will go, either voluntarily or otherwise, but there are out of contract players who MM will be happy to work with. Finding a good replacement for Vaughan, and having an alternative strategy if they are injured, will be key to our prospects next season.

Player
Manager
John King
I think the question is how many of the current squad will be able to work under Mellon with his emphasis on competitiveness, workrate and a pressing game, particularly the older members of the squad. While the majority of the current squad are good players individually, they won't necessarily be able to buy into Mellon's ethos.

I agree that a certain number of the better individuals should be retained, but there does need to be some freshness in the squad next season, particularly given how badly we tailed off last year.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Alabi has pulled a goal back for Bromley but they are still 1-3 in arrears against the Monkey Hangers. Barring a dramatic comeback there will be a "proper" team joining Sutton in L2 next season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Challinors Hartlepool win 3-2 and will now play stockport.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Alabi has pulled a goal back for Bromley but they are still 1-3 in arrears against the Monkey Hangers. Barring a dramatic comeback there will be a "proper" team joining Sutton in L2 next season.
In Stockports case a very well backed team

ADD

Player
Norwood
Cole Stockton stays at Morecambe with new 2 year contract.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Now Andy Cook has signed 2 year contract at Bradford....

Player
Manager
John King
Owain Fon Williams just featured on the opening titles of the Wales game painting in his native Snowdonia.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Challinor takes Hartlepool to the national league play off final next week after a 1-0 win against Stockport