• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Great news about Wrexham.

Some rovers connections in the play offs with stockport, Hartlepool, Notts county and James Alabis Bromley involved

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
34 year old Jay Harris released by Wrexham. Hope he is able to get another contract somewhere

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
On my constitutional morning walk around Tranmere, I bumped into someone who said there is going to be a clear out and no contracts are being offered to those out of contract and have been told to find another club.
The job of recruitment is being totally done by the manager and no one else. And because of the Malaysian money, we will have a budget comparable to most clubs in league two.
This is of course, just gossip between mates but he has been consistently correct in his knowledge.
I hope it's true!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Mark Palios confirmed in one of the recent Facebook Q and As that he and Steve Beck will be actively involved in the recruitment process. I think at least three or four of the out of contract players will be offered new deals.

Both Palios and Mellon have implied that our budget will be better than those of the majority of League Two clubs.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Mark Palios confirmed in one of the recent Facebook Q and As that he and Steve Beck will be actively involved in the recruitment process. I think at least three or four of the out of contract players will be offered new deals.

Both Palios and Mellon have implied that our budget will be better than those of the majority of League Two clubs.
I asked him the same question, and he said that was the one of the reasons MM accepted the role. He then added that the recruitment has not been good enough in the last couple of years. Which I totally agree with. We have had a few good signings but overall poor.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I asked him the same question, and he said that was the one of the reasons MM accepted the role. He then added that the recruitment has not been good enough in the last couple of years. Which I totally agree with. We have had a few good signings but overall poor.
I think the recruitment in terms of individual talent was very good last summer, but for whatever reasons neither Jackson or Hill could get those individuals to perform consistently as a team. I think the recruitment was better last summer because Palios was more actively involved than in previous years.

Palios and Mellon probably reached a compromise regarding recruitment, but it is highly unlikely the Chairman has given total control of transfers to Mellon.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
In an interview with the Echo, Micky does say it's going to be a complete rebuild so maybe none of the squad will be offered deals, though I would be very surprised if that is the case.

Steve Beck and Mark will both be heavily involved in the recruitment process that is for certain in fact Micky mentioned Beck on Monday in an interview

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Think rides will be offered a deal. He’s still only around 30, knows the club, can play LB or CB, did well in the play offs and micky knows him. It’s a no brainer to give him another year

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Think rides will be offered a deal. He’s still only around 30, knows the club, can play LB or CB, did well in the play offs and micky knows him. It’s a no brainer to give him another year
Lot of talk from Bradford end they are going sign him

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Lot of talk from Bradford end they are going sign him
Rides is a Yorkshire lad, so that makes some sense. However, he has remained remarkably loyal over the past few years and it would be a wrench fit him. I hope we he stays. He’s more than good enough for League Two.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Rides is a Yorkshire lad, so that makes some sense. However, he has remained remarkably loyal over the past few years and it would be a wrench fit him. I hope we he stays. He’s more than good enough for League Two.
I would agree, decent competition for left back with Macdonald also looks good in a back 3.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Would be a bit gutted if Liam left given his history with the club plus he is still capable of putting great delivery in as the play offs showed. If Bradford did sign him it may to provide cookie with some service if they signed him too.

Such a waste Vaughan retiring at 32. We don’t know the details of the injury but you do wonder whether it wasn’t a career ending injury he got v Orient, but he’s just had enough. A real shame though.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Would be a bit gutted if Liam left given his history with the club plus he is still capable of putting great delivery in as the play offs showed. If Bradford did sign him it may to provide cookie with some service if they signed him too.
Bradford may be willing to offer him more money and possibly a longer deal. Rovers may only want to offer him a one-year extension. However, if Micky really wants to keep him, the club could offer him a testimonial. He has already been with us nearly eight years.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Such a waste Vaughan retiring at 32. We don’t know the details of the injury but you do wonder whether it wasn’t a career ending injury he got v Orient, but he’s just had enough. A real shame though.
I am surprised that there has been so little coverage of this. I’m not aware of any interviews. No details have been provided about his injury. I too wonder if he has lost his appetite for the game, although you wouldn’t think so from the way he plays. Retiring so young while still under contract, money can’t be an issue. Maybe he has decided to move on with his life. I wouldn’t be surprised if he does a Koumas and returns to the game after a short break.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of ditching everyone who's out of contract, if that does prove to be the case. It's got the feel of throwing the baby out with the bath water. While we finished below expectations last season, we still made the play-offs and if James Vaughan had stayed fit, we'd have probably gone up, even with Hill in charge. Who's to say the new recruits will gel or like being based on Merseyside etc.