• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Goals for Nors away at Posh and Mullin with another tonight

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Echo the sentiments about Dai. I saw him play a few times for Swansea and think just the once for Rovers.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
If anybody's desperate for a Rovers related TV football fix in the light of today's cancellation, the BBC iPlayer is showing Larne v Dungannon Swifts at 17:30.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Chris dagnall scores for Yeovil in the National league

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hadn’t realised Daggers was still playing.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Oh, John Manning, one of the great Rovers centre forwards! Like Ronnie Moore, he started off as a centre half, so had a powerful head and could look after himself. He formed a great partnership with Barry Dyson, but Dave Russell couldn’t hold onto them and they both left too soon before reaching their peak.

My strongest memory of him was in an end of season match against Barrow. A cross came over as Manning was standing near the penalty spot. He rose and headed the ball downwards with such force that it bounced on the hard pitch and over the bar onto the Cowshed roof. Happy days!

Reactions: Ian

drwhoman

RIP John. So many happy teenage Friday nights at Prenton. A real,old fashioned centre forward. Always excitement when he, Barry D or Charlie McDonnell were on the ball. Went on to Shrewsbury, Norwich and a few other clubs. He had a brief spell back with Rovers in the early 70s but it was not the same. Replaced by George Yardley of course, who was another wonderful player before George Wood did him.

drwhoman

RIP John. So many happy teenage Friday nights at Prenton. A real,old fashioned centre forward. Always excitement when he, Barry D or Charlie McDonnell were on the ball. Went on to Shrewsbury, Norwich and a few other clubs. He had a brief spell back with Rovers in the early 70s but it was not the same. Replaced by George Yardley of course, who was another wonderful player before George Wood did him.

Or was it Alf Wood BBTC?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is before my time, but I believe it was Alf Wood. He later played for Millwall among others.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Or was it Alf Wood BBTC?
Yes, it was centre-half Alf Wood. He kicked George in the back at Shrewsbury the game before we played at Everton in the cup. As a result, he lost a kidney, was out for a while and decided soon afterwards to move to Australia. He returned later but was by then past his peak.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just been reading some the abuse Norwood has been getting on Twitter from Ipswich fans. Some of it is unbelievable, credit to Nors he gives it back but you do wonder why footballers bother being on there

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just been reading some the abuse Norwood has been getting on Twitter from Ipswich fans. Some of it is unbelievable, credit to Nors he gives it back but you do wonder why footballers bother being on there
Agreed. I expect he'd like a fresh start somewhere else but on the money he's earning it might not be that easy to find another club.

drwhoman

Agreed. I expect he'd like a fresh start somewhere else but on the money he's earning it might not be that easy to find another club.
Half the problem at Ipswich is that they are not delivering as a team. The greyer amongst us will remember some of their excellent teams of the past - Paul Mariner, John Wark etc.