• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Cookie on loan for a fee! Is this EPL, La Liga or League 1?

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Ryan Taylor doing studio punditry for Oxford v Newcastle on Sky News. Seems comfortable in the role.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ryan Taylor doing studio punditry for Oxford v Newcastle on Sky News. Seems comfortable in the role.

always like Ryan. He was really unlucky with injuries after he left us and was a bit of a cult hero at Newcastle Despite not playing often.

If only we had someone now as capable as him on set pieces to feed cookie

ADD

Player
Norwood
always like Ryan. He was really unlucky with injuries after he left us and was a bit of a cult hero at Newcastle Despite not playing often.

If only we had someone now as capable as him on set pieces to feed cookie
We do walker Rice...

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We do walker Rice...

not seen anything of him but heard good things about his delivery. Nowhere near the first team though I’m guessing with all our midfielders (despite our league position)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If you consider how easily Doncaster, Coventry and several other sides have walked through our midfield, Walker-Rice would have to be capable of a complete centre midfield performance if he did start. You can't play somebody in such a crucial area of the team purely for their delivery from set plays. They have to be able to contribute to the performance for ninety minutes.

People were calling for Gilmour to start for months and the majority were unimpressed when he did play at Bolton (although I thought he did OK).

I am not claiming Walker-Rice does not have great potential, but it has to be the right moment to throw somebody so inexperienced into the team.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If you consider how easily Doncaster, Coventry and several other sides have walked through our midfield, Walker-Rice would have to be capable of a complete centre midfield performance if he did start. You can't play somebody in such a crucial area of the team purely for their delivery from set plays. They have to be able to contribute to the performance for ninety minutes.

People were calling for Gilmour to start for months and the majority were unimpressed when he did play at Bolton (although I thought he did OK).

I am not claiming Walker-Rice does not have great potential, but it has to be the right moment to throw somebody so inexperienced into the team.
Fair point but I don't think under micky there is ever a right time.

Player
Manager
John King
Fair point but I don't think under micky there is ever a right time.
CBT, RHM and Gilmour have all had time on the pitch this season, the first two long spells in the team, so I am not sure that is true.

We don't produce as many talented youngsters as we used to, and in recent years we have either been involved in promotion chases or relegation dogfights, which makes it more difficult to blood youngsters.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Coventry at home would have been a good opportunity to give Walker-Rice 20 minutes. At that time the game had slipped away from us and 2 subs still to use. No pressure on the player and a chance to see if he could or couldn’t deliver.

Player
Manager
John King
Just to add to my initial point, Kane Wilson is still a teenager (I believe) but plays every game under Mellon and is exceptional.

If they are good enough Mellon plays them, irrespective of age.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Just to add to my initial point, Kane Wilson is still a teenager (I believe) but plays every game under Mellon and is exceptional.

If they are good enough Mellon plays them, irrespective of age.
Players under 23 at Tranmere have played the least minutes of all clubs in league one this season

Player
Manager
John King
Players under 23 at Tranmere have played the least minutes of all clubs in league one this season
Probably because they are not as good as Wilson.....

Our academy has effectively closed, so we are not going to produce as many youngsters as we did previously. That was a conscious decision that the club hierarchy made, for financial reasons. They did not think the academy was financially viable.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins

Walker -Rice or Gilmour would need to be complete midfielder if featuring in a two man centre midfield as per the Bolton game. To give them a chance of showing what they can contribute MM would need to include some additional protection. It wouldn't excuse them from putting a shift in either.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Johnny Smith ex rovers loaned scored his tenth goal of the season yesterday, he's having a good season

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Perhaps he’s got fitter? Was talented with us but a lack of stamina was a regular problem.