• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good luck to him, great player for us with a great attitude.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd agree re Jay. Thought he might have found something better, given Macc's late payment of wages, not the most secure of postings.

Zoum has signed for Notts County and hope that works out for him.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I'd agree re Jay. Thought he might have found something better, given Macc's late payment of wages, not the most secure of postings.

Zoum has signed for Notts County and hope that works out for him.
While I like Jay and wish him well, the fact that he and Adam Buxton could only secure deals at Macclesfield and Morecambe suggests we made the right decision in releasing them.

Hopefully Zoum can prolong his career in the National League.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I like Jay and wish him well, the fact that he and Adam Buxton could only secure deals at Macclesfield and Morecambe suggests we made the right decision in releasing them.
I'm not so sure about that. If, as some reports suggest, they were offered deals and the offers were later withdrawn, then they would have only been looking for clubs from the end of June and better clubs than where they've ended up might have already recruited elsewhere by then. Given the current injury crisis, I wouldn't say no to having either on the bench this Saturday.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm not so sure about that. If, as some reports suggest, they were offered deals and the offers were later withdrawn, then they would have only been looking for clubs from the end of June and better clubs than where they've ended up might have already recruited elsewhere by then. Given the current injury crisis, I wouldn't say no to having either on the bench this Saturday.
I don't think either are good enough for League One, for reasons already discussed. We could sign eleven League Two / Conference standard players with good injury records, but what would be the point of that ? We need players who can cut it in the division we are in.

The rumours about contract offers are speculation. Even if we were keeping our options open, the players clearly had not received any offers from the better League Two clubs in the interim (I can't believe they were not actively seeking other offers if the deal with us was not concrete) and the bottom end of League Two is about their level in my view.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I felt Jay Harris on the strength of the second half of last season could have cut it at L1 level, Buxton was more of a conundrum due to fitness issues. We'll never know. The converse of your first paragraph is also true, we could sign eleven injury prone players of L1+ standard, but if they're going to be missing all season, what would be the point of that?

Player
Manager
John King
I felt Jay Harris on the strength of the second half of last season could have cut it at L1 level, Buxton was more of a conundrum due to fitness issues. We'll never know. The converse of your first paragraph is also true, we could sign eleven injury prone players of L1+ standard, but if they're going to be missing all season, what would be the point of that?
Yes, but we have not signed eleven injury prone players have we ? And a League Two standard player would be no more use to us than an injured player of higher calibre. While I thought we might have offered Harris another year, I am not even convinced he will be consistent in League Two next season. I think his form at the end of last season was in large part due to the presence of Perkins and you have to remember how poor he was in the first half of the season. Those below par performances might be expected of an inexperienced youngster, but he was thirty two years of age. I would rather have Darren Potter. Buxton has got the ability but not the fitness / professionalism.

Player
Manager
John King
In other news, we received £42,500 in compensation for the loss of Eddie Clarke, plus a 20% sell on clause. Better than nothing I suppose.....

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Fairly derisory fee and unless he stands out during his loan season at Macc, he's probably going on a free when his Fleetwood contract expires.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
You do not rate Ferrier then ? In reality I think it is difficult to value any player at such an early stage of their career.
That was my point, at the moment I have no idea whether Ferrier is a good value buy or not. I did rate Clarke. Both seem to have bad advisors/agents in common.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Fairly derisory fee and unless he stands out during his loan season at Macc, he's probably going on a free when his Fleetwood contract expires.

He wasn't at the club that long, so the way the rules are it is about right sadly

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Roughly double what we had to pay Chester for James Alabi.

Reactions: Ian

drwhoman

Where is Alabi now?(LOL!) BTW, I see Campbell has resigned at Macc. Talk of them going broke.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
He wasn't at the club that long, so the way the rules are it is about right sadly
When you look at the facts he is a kid who has played a handful of NL games - very impressive in some and less so in others, which is pretty typical for even the most talented youngsters. He couldn't break into a L1 team and has dropped into L2 for the season. Despite our emotional attachment (one of our own) he has not really proved himself at any level yet. I hope he progresses but the jury is still out. On that basis I don't think we can grumble at £42.5k and the 20% will be a real earner if he does fulfil his early potential.

Whether he should have left Rovers when he did is a different matter. Maybe, he could have been developing and gradually moving up the levels as an important member of the first team squad. It has probably put his career back a couple of years but hindsight's a wonderful thing.