• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rumours elsewhere he’s on around £6,000 a week. If true that’s not far off £1m over the 3 years

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Forest Green and Harrogate will stay up while they continue to be bank-rolled. The vegans have a solid fan base so can see them surviving even after Swampy moves on.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Rumours elsewhere he’s on around £6,000 a week. If true that’s not far off £1m over the 3 years
Wow....if that's true then who can blame him, in all honesty? As has been said a number of times, football is a short lived career so get the money while you can I say, particularly at this level. I hope he does well.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I wish Wrexham and Mullin well. It’s easy to forget how difficult it was to get out of the NL. And without MP, we would still be there and suffering some of the financial problems the Dragons have experienced since relegation. They have been unlucky at times and the two up - two down between the EFL and the NL, unique in the football pyramid, has not helped. No team “deserves” anything. It has to be earned. But once they get back up, they will stay up - unlike the likes of Harrogate, Sutton United and FGR, who will all be back in the NL within five years.
The difference being that Palios got us back into the Football League through astute management, not by simply throwing money at the club (which he could not have done if he wanted to). Sutton are not bankrolled and fully deserved their success last season: of all the smaller clubs that have been promoted from the NL in recent years, I would most like them to succeed in the long term.

I disapprove of Salford's spending, and the inflationary impact it has on wages in League Two, and the same principles apply to Wrexham. The fact they are a larger club historically is irrelevant, as it is not that status that is supporting the spending.

Player
Manager
John King
A wage cap is being introduced in the National League for the 2022-23 season, so I have no idea how Wrexham will stay within the rules. No doubt they will come up with some wheeze to circumvent the regulations.

When you consider their squad as a whole, there is not a huge amount of quality aside from Mullin. It seems an 'all eggs in one basket' approach, which might not work for them.

drwhoman

A wage cap is being introduced in the National League for the 2022-23 season, so I have no idea how Wrexham will stay within the rules. No doubt they will come up with some wheeze to circumvent the regulations.

When you consider their squad as a whole, there is not a huge amount of quality aside from Mullin. It seems an 'all eggs in one basket' approach, which might not work for them.
If Mullin does not deliver some questions will be asked although 1m may well be pocket money for the owners.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If Mullin does not deliver some questions will be asked although 1m may well be pocket money for the owners.
It will be but
Forest Green and Harrogate will stay up while they continue to be bank-rolled. The vegans have a solid fan base so can see them surviving even after Swampy moves on.
I would think their fan bases wouldn't be that much different especially if they are both towards the top end of the table it's nit like fg have several thousand fans

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

Theres a salary cap in Ruby league and Union, its alleged in league 1 or 2 teams get round it by employing the players wife/partner in some role.

In union Saracens famously got relegated for breaches but still have the vast majority of their squad including a number of lions players

Player
Manager
John King
One thing the Mullin scenario does demonstrate which has relevance for ourselves is that, even with the kind of money Wrexham have to spend, recruiting a good centre forward is very difficult and takes time.

There are suggestions from Cambridge supporters that Mullin's preference was to move to a League One club. However, those deals proved impossible to conclude and Wrexham came in very late in the day with their offer.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It will be but

I would think their fan bases wouldn't be that much different especially if they are both towards the top end of the table it's nit like fg have several thousand fans
There are two teams in Harrogate, Town and Railway, until fairly recently they played at around the same level and had similar support. I’m unsure how strong Town’s fan base is, but think that FGR are fairly well established and relatively isolated geographically so wouldn’t agree with BBTC about their future prospects.

Player
Manager
John King
There are two teams in Harrogate, Town and Railway, until fairly recently they played at around the same level and had similar support. I’m unsure how strong Town’s fan base is, but think that FGR are fairly well established and relatively isolated geographically so wouldn’t agree with BBTC about their future prospects.
Funnily enough, I have been on holiday round the corner from FGR in the Cotswolds this week. There is plenty of evidence of support for them locally now, including in neighbouring towns like Stroud, and I tend to agree with Boz that they have a big enough catchment area to establish themselves in the EFL in the long term.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Wow, that is more than our budget for the season for players!!!!!!

I know! It just seems that way!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
The difference being that Palios got us back into the Football League through astute management, not by simply throwing money at the club (which he could not have done if he wanted to). Sutton are not bankrolled and fully deserved their success last season: of all the smaller clubs that have been promoted from the NL in recent years, I would most like them to succeed in the long term.

I tend to disagree with this summary.
Gary Brabin, rebuilt the squad from an outfit of really poor players, after we got relegated. He gave us the beginning of building squad to reverse the downward spiral towards obscurity. Mickey Mellon brought his management style and staff to mould the squad into a team that delivered a winning formula.
When we did get promoted we deserved it. Without breaking the bank, MM added crucial elements to the team that even though we had terrible injuries in both seasons, we won at Wembley. (With a little bit of last minute magic!) Why did we let him go?
If MP could have predicted all that and because of investment in the infrastructure rather than on the squad, I'm not convinced.
Financially, we are in limbo, like a lot of league one and two clubs. MP is not a sugar daddy, we never gained automatic promotion. We did need some luck. If we hadn't got back into the league, when we did, I would hate to think of where we would find ourselves?
I would think that the major architect of our success, was the manager.
There was quite a lot of people who deserve credit, mainly the players, the majority have now left, and we have a a revolving door of managers, players, staff throughout MPs stewardship.
For his statement a few years ago, he said he wanted to build continuity to stabilise the club in order to gain promotion. Since that goal, stability is in short supply.
We have had really good times getting back, I hope MM can give us a chance to have a go this season.
Review last season under Mr Hill?

Player
Manager
John King
I tend to disagree with this summary.
Gary Brabin, rebuilt the squad from an outfit of really poor players, after we got relegated. He gave us the beginning of building squad to reverse the downward spiral towards obscurity. Mickey Mellon brought his management style and staff to mould the squad into a team that delivered a winning formula.
When we did get promoted we deserved it. Without breaking the bank, MM added crucial elements to the team that even though we had terrible injuries in both seasons, we won at Wembley. (With a little bit of last minute magic!) Why did we let him go?
If MP could have predicted all that and because of investment in the infrastructure rather than on the squad, I'm not convinced.
Financially, we are in limbo, like a lot of league one and two clubs. MP is not a sugar daddy, we never gained automatic promotion. We did need some luck. If we hadn't got back into the league, when we did, I would hate to think of where we would find ourselves?
I would think that the major architect of our success, was the manager.
There was quite a lot of people who deserve credit, mainly the players, the majority have now left, and we have a a revolving door of managers, players, staff throughout MPs stewardship.
For his statement a few years ago, he said he wanted to build continuity to stabilise the club in order to gain promotion. Since that goal, stability is in short supply.
We have had really good times getting back, I hope MM can give us a chance to have a go this season.
Review last season under Mr Hill?
Palios stabilised the club financially after years of decline under Johnson. That enabled us to have strong budgets in every season as a National League club and was the major reason for our relatively speedy return to the Football League. Other clubs of similar stature, like Stockport and Chesterfield, continued their financial decline after relegation from the League, and the difference in their performance on the pitch was obvious.

Gary Brabin had a very healthy wage budget to work with, he was not picking up 'poor' players for the level we were at.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I read Keith Hill's post as Brabin having virtually nobody remaining from the Adams revolving door squad.

Mark Palios has done a great deal to stabilise the club and give us decent budgets. However, you have to wonder if the accountant in him, holding back on deals until the last minute means we lose out on players, as was suggested with Woodyard last year.

Player
Manager
John King
I read Keith Hill's post as Brabin having virtually nobody remaining from the Adams revolving door squad.
Yes, having re-read it, I think you are correct.

However, my point still stands that it was the financial stability provided by Palios that made an early return to the EFL possible. Without that stability, Mellon would never have come back here, let alone Norwood, Cook, Jennings and the rest.

drwhoman

Agree though PJ had little alternative other than selling the Club up. He obviously loved the Club although I am sure the write off helped his tax position assuming he paid any UK tax. I think he lived on Jersey? A pretty place but a tax haven for the wealthy.