• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
100% fail for me. I liked Mullin and bet Cambridge fans are scratching their heads. They made him apparently a great offer to play in league one and he’s dropped 2 divisions but with these movie star owners who knows what they are paying him - could have even included a tasty signing on fee.

But it’s still Wrexham and like money bags Salford for the good of football we need these teams to fail

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I wish the lad well, 27 in November so the 3 year deal secures his livelihood until just before he is 30. He clearly impressed during his initial loan move from us to Cambridge sufficient to warrant them signing him full time last season, and he justified their faith in him by demonstrably helping them gain promotion. That performance justifies the deals he has now secured and I hope he does well and helps Wrexham back into the Football League where they belong.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
100% fail for me. I liked Mullin and bet Cambridge fans are scratching their heads. They made him apparently a great offer to play in league one and he’s dropped 2 divisions but with these movie star owners who knows what they are paying him - could have even included a tasty signing on fee.

But it’s still Wrexham and like money bags Salford for the good of football we need these teams to fail
Yes, I hope he and Wrexham fail. It does not say much for his ambition that he has been prepared to drop to that level purely for money, as there is no guarantee at all that they will win a speedy promotion given the nature of that league. By making this decision Mullin has effectively given up on any chance of proving himself in League One or higher.

Another ridiculously bankrolled club is the last thing we need in the Football League, let alone one that hates our guts with a passion.

Player
Manager
John King
To be honest, he should have a field day at the lower level. I can't quite decide whether I want him/Wrexham to succeed or fail!
It will be interesting to see how he does with mediocre players around him. The assists of Wes Houlihan were a major reason for his success last season, and there is nobody of that quality in the Wrexham midfield. As has been commented, prior to last season his record was decidedly average.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I wish the lad well, 27 in November so the 3 year deal secures his livelihood until just before he is 30. He clearly impressed during his initial loan move from us to Cambridge sufficient to warrant them signing him full time last season, and he justified their faith in him by demonstrably helping them gain promotion. That performance justifies the deals he has now secured and I hope he does well and helps Wrexham back into the Football League where they belong.
I hope they have several more seasons in national league.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
"I hope they have several more seasons in national league".......how sad, Wrexham are one of a number of former League clubs who warrant a place back in the Football League. Far preferable than the likes of Kings Lynn Town or Dover Athletic.

"Another ridiculously bankrolled club is the last thing we need in the Football League".....how soon we forget when we were bankrolled by a multi-millionaire.

drwhoman

Not going to Charlton is understandable. South London and same league as Cambridge albeit with more history. However, Wrexham is an eye opener and a classic case of wealthy owners looking for the silver bullet. Up north, Three years, a big signing on fee and a decent wage I am sure. The NL will not be easy for him. As has been said, less skilful players around him and opposition centre backs will have him well and truly in their sights. He can expect a lot of physical stick. Still, see how he goes.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
"I hope they have several more seasons in national league".......how sad, Wrexham are one of a number of former League clubs who warrant a place back in the Football League. Far preferable than the likes of Kings Lynn Town or Dover Athletic.

"Another ridiculously bankrolled club is the last thing we need in the Football League".....how soon we forget when we were bankrolled by a multi-millionaire.
Why do they warrant a place in the football league, they have had 15 seasons on the run in the national league they are were they are on merit.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I hope mulls does well at Wrexham. I have good memories of visiting the racecourse, like us the difficulty in surviving relegation to non league, the will to get back to league football has always been their ultimate goal. Achieving that goal is really difficult, even we struggled to get promoted via the play offs.
Rivalry is healthy and they seem to bring it with them.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
On Mullin, I'm disappointed as would like to have seen him have another stab at L1, working under a manager who got the best out of him, be that Bonner or a new club. My gut feeling is that he'd have fared better than his spell with us in L1, but we'll never know. Can't blame him going for financial security, but feel he might have some if only thoughts down the line.

In their pre-moneybags days I quite wanted to see Wrexham and Stockport re-join us in the FL but now less enthusiastic. I'd prefer either traditional clubs like Torquay or Halifax or well-run newbies like Sutton from last season coming up. Especially if Rovers don't get up to L1 the coming season

Player
Manager
John King

Yes, and it ultimately was not sustainable, which is why we ended up in the National League when PJ's time was up. I think the sustainable ownership model pioneered by Palios is the way forward for lower division clubs, not the Salford / Wrexham approach.

Reckless and unsustainable spending will be the death of the lower divisions, as Bury supporters can testify.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That is a shocking move by Mullin. He obviously doesn't rate himself that highly if he turned down an offer from a higher division. He probably thinks he can contuinue banging them in at Wrexham. I hope he fails miserably.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
That is a shocking move by Mullin. He obviously doesn't rate himself that highly if he turned down an offer from a higher division. He probably thinks he can contuinue banging them in at Wrexham. I hope he fails miserably.
It's purely for financial reasons though a poor career move

Player
aldo
they must be paying stupid money it will bite them on the but if they fail to go up imagine if he breaks his leg in first game

drwhoman

I take your point Ian but if he has financial commitments then the money must come first. Careers are short and many footballers are not going to be earning the same money when they finish. As I said in an earlier post, I do not fancy his chances in the NL but there we are.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wrexham must be paying very well.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I wish Wrexham and Mullin well. It’s easy to forget how difficult it was to get out of the NL. And without MP, we would still be there and suffering some of the financial problems the Dragons have experienced since relegation. They have been unlucky at times and the two up - two down between the EFL and the NL, unique in the football pyramid, has not helped. No team “deserves” anything. It has to be earned. But once they get back up, they will stay up - unlike the likes of Harrogate, Sutton United and FGR, who will all be back in the NL within five years.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Reading the Wrexham forum they almost can’t believe their luck signing the league two player of the year. As drwhoman says you can’t blame Mullin as it could be life changing money in what is a short career. A local rival or not I think most football fans wouldn’t like to see a moneybags team have success

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I wish Wrexham and Mullin well. It’s easy to forget how difficult it was to get out of the NL. And without MP, we would still be there and suffering some of the financial problems the Dragons have experienced since relegation. They have been unlucky at times and the two up - two down between the EFL and the NL, unique in the football pyramid, has not helped. No team “deserves” anything. It has to be earned. But once they get back up, they will stay up - unlike the likes of Harrogate, Sutton United and FGR, who will all be back in the NL within five years.
Not sure FGR will go back there if Dale Vince continues to bankroll them. They did well under Cooper but now he’s gone it will be interesting how the vegans get on. Can’t see them going down though