• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Player
Jonny Morrisey
'Cambridge's talisman enjoying football again'

Nice little article on Mullin on Sky Sports today having picked up Player of the month. Made up for him to be fair and glad he's doing well. Never really given a chance under Micky, particularly after Nors left speaks well of both him and Tranmere. Funnily enough, he shares a house with Nors now.....bet there's some banter in that house!

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Glad Mullin is doing well now. There are a number of players who Micky improved at Rovers, but of those he didn't appear to rate, Paul is the one who appears to have done best since leaving.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, WS. A well written article about a genuine bloke. It just shows how having a supportive manager and playing a suitable system can transform a player's career.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think it is true that Mullin was not given a chance by Mellon. He was clearly never going to be selected ahead of Norwood in his first season, but last season he had a run of about ten to fifteen consecutive games. He did very little, other than a goal and a good performance against Gillingham.

Sometimes a player simply does not fit at a certain club, and I still think Vaughan is a better player anyway.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Cole Stockton was initially ahead of Mullin in the pecking order in his first season and Micky opted to play a half-fit Norwood ahead of him later on. I think this impacted on his confidence and remember one game when he did play (Forest Green?), he was so desperate to make an impact to the extent of being greedy. I agree Vaughan is a better player, but unsure he's any worse than Ferrier/Payne. His other notable contributions were against Watford, helping us to earn that money-spinning tie v Man Utd.

Sometimes a manager is unable to bring the best out of a player and it's good that Mullin is now getting the benefit of a gaffer who has that ability at Cambridge.

Player
Manager
John King
As you will remember, Mullin and Norwood were not effective as a partnership, which is why Stockton, while not a good player, was eventually chosen ahead of Mullin. In the second half of the season, it was a no-brainer that the partnership of Norwood and Jennings was more effective. After our eventual promotion, I don't think we can really question Mellon's selections.

Anybody would have chosen a 'semi-fit' Norwood ahead of another striker, as he was sensational that season and our whole pattern of play was developed around him.

Mullin probably is not worse than Payne or Ferrier, but they were still under contract and Mullin was not, which is why he left.

We will see whether Bonner's career record of promotions ultimately matches Mellon's......

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's not a question of who's the best manager, on track record that's clearly Mellon. However Mark Bonner seems to be getting more out of Paul Mullin than Micky did.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, I know, but the suggestion is that Mellon never gave him a chance, which is not true.

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Fonners on the bench for Wales today - some things never change! He did play 16 minutes as a sub once which must have given him an average of 2 splinters per minute over his international career. Currently with Dunfermline.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Fonners on the bench for Wales today - some things never change! He did play 16 minutes as a sub once which must have given him an average of 2 splinters per minute over his international career. Currently with Dunfermline.

still only 33 which is young for a keeper so a few years left for him before he swaps his gloves for a paintbrush. I always thought he was a decent keeper for us

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
still only 33 which is young for a keeper so a few years left for him before he swaps his gloves for a paintbrush. I always thought he was a decent keeper for us
I rated him also. Similar type to Scotty in that he was a good shot stopper. Not as good a kicker as Scotty but a lot less of the time-wasting antics.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I know we've already mentioned it but this caught my eye today

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I know we've already mentioned it but this caught my eye today
It shows what a great academy we once had. It was a sad day when it had to be closed due to young players being developed free by us being poached by the big clubs without any compensation. If the likes of Tom Davies had been allowed to remain at Rovers and we had received a proper transfer fee, as in the last century, our club would be much richer.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I'll be honest and say that I don't remember his name at all, but delighted that we have had some part in his development. If only …. Should he ever return to Rovers as an all-conquering multi-millionaire superstar investor there's an easy ground name change for him!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It’s good that his departure was down to family circumstances rather than us letting him go as not good enough!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It’s good that his departure was down to family circumstances rather than us letting him go as not good enough!
That would have been highly embarrassing and nobody would have mentioned Will Vaulks ever again!