• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 1 Sandbach 2

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Only a masochist could watch our youth team lose to Sandbach on a freezing Tuesday night.....

It was essentially a youth team plus Buxton, Dawson, Rokka and Green tonight. Buxton unfortunately went off injured. Green looked promising: scored after ninety seconds, had good pace and was capable of beating a player. Rokka had a decent game and offered more than in his previous appearances. Dawson was generally woeful.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report RLC. That must go down as a fairly disappointing result, with Wharton, Drysdale and Devine all on pro contracts, as well as those name-checked, should really be capable of beating a team at Sandbach’s level. Encouraging re Green and Rokka, what positions did they play in? Thought Kirby might have got an outing for us, if fit enough for the bench last weekend. Was the result a fair reflection of the possession and chances we had?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks RLC. I spoke to someone else who went who had similar thoughts to you own - picking out my old favourite Dawson as someone who was very poor but sounded promising about Rokka. Hopefully young Elliot isn't far from the first team. Green is interesting - you wonder has he been brought for the future as with only 5 subs he may find it difficult to get on the bench. As Boz asks, is he a striker or a winger, or like Jake Kirby - something in between.

I did wonder if Larnell Cole would have got a game to help with his match fitness. Buxton is a worry as although Duggan has done ok, Adam is better IMO.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Rokka and Green played as wingers in a 4411, with Dawson in a number ten role. Rokka looks like an out-and-out winger to me, but I got the impression that Green could also play down the middle. Rokka's decision making and final ball let him down at times, but he went past players with ease and clearly has talent. He reminded me a bit of a lesser Ben Tollitt to be honest.

The youngsters generally did ok and we created chances throughout the game. However, Wharton made three or four great saves to keep us in it in the second half and Sandbach probably deserved the victory.

Wharton has impressed me every time I have seen him play and looks almost as good as Pilling.

Reactions: Boz