• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 0 Shrews 2

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
They have drawn 4 of the last 6 though, mainly against poor teams, and failed to beat Hartlepool at home last week.

Obviously, our depleted side is still going to have to produce something special to beat them.

They've only conceded 4 in that period though. 0-0 sounds like a good bet.

Just looked and the table and realised that at this point, staying in the playoffs isn't even in our hands. If Swindon and Brentford win their games in hand we're 7th.

drwhoman

SHREWS ETC

The current position is very disappointing but we would have settled for being anything other than around the relegation zone at the start of the season. The simple fact of the matter is that our financial position militates against our being able to compensate for the loss of key players and Wallace, Cassidy and Gibson in particular. It could be argued that we were punching above our weight anyway with our being fortunate to have the use of two excellent loanees for several months. Both C and G clearly have potential to play above Div One. Unfortunately, their replacements are Div One material - Daniels and O'Halloran. All this said, the loss of Wallace is clearly key - an influential captain and midfield general. Sorry if this sounds a bit negative but I just do not see how we turn things around unless Ronnie is able to pull a couple more loanee gems out of the hat! Incidentally, I see Matt Smith scored again, this time against the Toffees.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Just looked and the table and realised that at this point, staying in the playoffs isn't even in our hands. If Swindon and Brentford win their games in hand we're 7th.

Yes, but there are a lot of games to play yet. We might have wrongly imagined that our own position was unassailable when we were seven points clear at the top a couple of weeks ago.

Gibson should be back in the next couple of weeks and Wallace has been missing for ages. We won 4 in 5 in January without both him and Cassidy (who scored only once in his last 12 games with us) so while I am concerned about the absentees and our current form, I don't subscribe to the 'we're doomed' analysis. We are still in a fantastic position and should not take the negativity too far.

Incidentally, the Wednesday fans rave about Corry: apparently he was outstanding in some of his Championship appearances.

Player
Liam Palmer

But if we win our game in hand on Bournemouth we go ahead of them.

It can all change quickly. Get JLAA back and we've got the team that won at Brentford. The teams who are on unbelievably good runs will stutter - Bournemouth were apparently rank rotten yesterday.

It's still all to play for. I still think the play-offs will be the minimum we achieve this season.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
But if we win our game in hand on Bournemouth we go ahead of them.

But that's a superficial way of treating games in hand - we've played one more game than them, is what I mean. And they're within 2 points of us.

At this stage in the season it's more of an academic point than a practical one but it's a good measure of how much we've ****ed things up for ourselves.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hate to say I told you so about Stockton. He scored 2 goals and people were talking about him in terms of being a replacement for Cassidy. Madness.

I don't recall (m)any people on here making such claims. Though Cassidy had little league playing experience before coming to us on loan and it was only by playing him that a proper assessment of how good he was could be made. It's clear that Stockton isn't that far along the line in his development, from the recent starts, but that isn't something that couldn't have been deduced by leaving him on the bench.

I still feel Cole Stockton is a better option for striker than David Amoo. However we could do with someone with more experience than the former and more aptitude as a front man than the latter.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Not necessarily saying I disagree with your gut instinct here, but you've been extremely quick to form concrete opinions on Amoo's aptitude in different positions considering that he's only played 118 minutes at PP. This seems a contradictory position to take given that you also argue that we couldn't have judged the extent of Stockton's (in)effectiveness without letting him have some game time.

In the past people have championed McGurk as a player who has an eye for goal and who deserves a chance to be played up-front. I've generally disagreed, but recent games would have been a good opportunity to try him up there, especially with ABB coming back.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
From what I've seen, Amoo is a more reliable performer up front than Stockton at the present time.