• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 0 Fleetwood 2

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
An up and down performance today. We started the first half brightly, but Fleetwood soon began to dominate the midfield and passed around us as we were playing a 442 formation. Mellon switched to 451 at half time which stemmed the tide, but we struggled to create as Norwood was too isolated up front. It is difficult to judge games against higher opposition, but this was not as good a display as against Wigan last week.

Individually there were some decent displays, notably from Norwood, Zoum, Banks and Sutton. Mullin looked sharper and led the line better than in previous games and was probably a bit behind the others in terms of fitness. Elsewhere, Monthe looked very erratic at right back and made some curious decisions at times. The youngster Gilmour gave the ball away for the second goal (a brilliant finish) and looks a bit lightweight to me. The outfield trialists did not particularly impress.

The real negative was Pilling's performance. He started a bit nervously and made an absolute howler for the first goal and I think that display will make Mellon's mind up that we need to bring a keeper in. The lad in goal in the second half (trialist or loan signing ?) did ok but was not seriously tested other than the second goal, which he could do nothing about.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks RLC. Although monthe did ok at right back in the play offs, we do have cover there in Sutton and Harris. Caprice not in the squad today.

As you say I can’t see Pilling being first choice if Davies is injured.

Mullin not being as fit as the others is a concern and I really hope we’re still looking for a decent striker

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just seen Mickys post match interview.

Recognised we still need another goal threat and someone to hold the ball up. He reminded us though that we have a budget to work towards and won’t go over it. Wonder if that was aimed at Fylde re Rowe

Player
Manager
John King
We obviously do need another striker. However, I have seen a lot of supporters elsewhere absolutely slating Mullin on the strength of a couple of friendly performances. They seemed to think we were signing a carbon copy of Andy Cook, which he was clearly never going to be.

I thought he did ok in the first half today and will be a reasonable player if given time to settle.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks RLC. Well at least we are all desperate for a striker. Not an easy task!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Good point re Mullin. Cook scored 20 goals in his last 4 seasons and Mullin has never got anywhere near that albeit he played in league 2.

The way I see it, mullin was brought in to replace mangan and Alabi so we still need a first choice target man to partner Nors. Cole Stockton May be available....

Player
Manager
John King
Good point re Mullin. Cook scored 20 goals in his last 4 seasons and Mullin has never got anywhere near that albeit he played in league 2.

The way I see it, mullin was brought in to replace mangan and Alabi so we still need a first choice target man to partner Nors. Cole Stockton May be available....
I think I would actually take Stockton at this point in time !

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
How did Tollit do RLC? This is a big season for him as if he breaks down again you do wonders if he’ll end up like wallace

Player
Manager
John King
How did Tollit do RLC? This is a big season for him as if he breaks down again you do wonders if he’ll end up like wallace
I thought he did ok. He looks stronger than he did last season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don’t think Stockton is prolific enough to be a Cook replacement. If we were to bring in two more strikers, then I’d have no issue with Stockton alongside a more obvious replacement for Cookie.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I thought it was a strong performance today, miles better than Tuesday. The biggest difference being Manny who probably made 3/4 of our errors himself. He is not league standard. While I have always supported Pilling his mistakes today added to Tuesday make me, sadly, agree that he can't be considered as our first choice keeper. The players who shome today against higher league opposition were CJ, ON,ZB and JH. Apart from Manny and Luke the defence was solid. The Liverpool goalie looked excellent

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
BTW Eddie was Innocuous and Wallace didn't make the squad

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We wont get a guaranteed goalscorer at this level as they are few and far between and tend to cost a lot in fees and wagesd

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just saw both goals. Disappointing that we gifted them both. Pillings terrible handling for the first and Gilmore (I think), giving it away leading up to the second