• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rotherham v Rovers

Rotherham v Rovers
Posted by Ian
AESSEAL New York Stadium
Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think today's game emphasised that we have a manager who is tactically adept. I don't think many of us expected we would start with a 352 with Morris as an emergency wing back, but the system worked to a tee. The two strikers gave us more presence in the opposition box, as has been mentioned above, but the midfield trio gave us a degree of control and denied time and space to a Rotherham side that looked like it would be very useful if it was allowed more freedom to play. However, aside from the tactics the workrate and commitment from the eleven players was fantastic, and exactly what we are going to need this season.

In the second half we actually matched Rotherham for chances created, which is something we have not seen previously this season, and the result was fully deserved. We also managed to maintain our intensity for ninety minutes, rather than playing in fits and starts.

I don't think anybody played poorly. I thought Morris did well in his unexpected role (as well contributing another assist) and Ridehalgh had his best game of the season, and looked more comfortable as a wing back. Of the centre halves, I thought Ray had his usual couple of nervous moments but Manny was back to his imperious best (I notice some of the Rotherham fans reckon they should sign him!) and Nelson made a big difference with his heading ability. I lost count of the number of times he cleared crosses, on a couple of occasions bailing out Ray after a slight mistake.

Both of the strikers did OK: Mullin had a quiet first half but was more effective after half time, forcing a good save from their keeper; Payne was decent in the first half, holding the ball up and laying it off, but was less effective in the second period. However, he was in the right place at the right time for the equaliser, which perhaps demonstrates why Micky has preferred him to Mullin.

In midfield, both Perkins and Jennings worked hard, although the latter was caught in possession a bit too much at times. However, I thought the stand out performer was Potter, both with his workrate and challenges and his quality on the ball. Where he scores more highly than Banks is that he is capable of producing a killer, defence-splitting pass, but is less sloppy with his short-range passing: I did not see him give the ball away once today and I think he needs to stay in the side.

There were great scenes at the end and hopefully this result will give everyone confidence moving forward.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Is this a formation and line-up we should be sticking with?
I would say away from home against the better sides, definitely. However, in matches like next Saturday's where we need to make the running and win the game, it might restrict us a bit.

Player
aldo
thats better . shame we have lost two players with the same injury in 3 days . we don.t have much luck

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thoroughly deserved the draw. There was fight and plenty of heart from the Rovers players today topped off by a 95th minute goal. Great tactics by Mellon playing three at the back with the wing backs bombing forward. With Potter and Perkins running the show in the middle is gave us an element of control in the game. I think we subdued Rotherham due to this so fair play to MM for making changes.

Couple of disappointments for me. Ray looks shaky at the back. It's worrying that he cannot judge a ball in the air. He missed two headers which nearly cost us in the first half and another in the second. Monthe and Sid were excellent. I also thought the front two were poor today. Mullin did grow into the game a bit more in the second half but didn't do enough for me and Payne just looked awful. Not sure what he actually brought to the table as he seemed to lack pace, skill, cannot head to save his life and cannot hold the ball up. The worst player on the pitch gets the equaliser. Great scenes when we scored though.

Morris also had a great game on the right although Ridehalgh did get caught a few times on the left not tracking back which meant Rotherham were able to whip in some dangerous crosses. That will be dangerous against better opposition.

Having said all that, the desire was there and that's all you can ask for. That will give them a much needed boost and if we play like that we will pick up points.

Player
Manager
John King
Payne can hold the ball up in fairness. He did that quite a bit in the first half when the ball was played in to his feet or his chest, although he is not great in the air. I actually thought he did ok. If he can be that bad and score every game I will be happy !

ADD

Player
Norwood
Couple of disappointments for me. Ray looks shaky at the back. It's worrying that he cannot judge a ball in the air. He missed two headers which nearly cost us in the first half and another in the second. Monthe and Sid were excellent. I also thought the front two were poor today. Mullin did grow into the game a bit more in the second half but didn't do enough for me and Payne just looked awful. Not sure what he actually brought to the table as he seemed to lack pace, skill, cannot head to save his life and cannot hold the ball up. The worst player on the pitch gets the equaliser. Great scenes when we scored though.
Wow that's the beuaty of football - I thought Payne did well today - he certainly wasn't awful IMO. Mullin I still feel is better as a super sub when defences are tiring but he did well today I thought also....

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Wow that's the beuaty of football - I thought Payne did well today - he certainly wasn't awful IMO. Mullin I still feel is better as a super sub when defences are tiring but he did well today I thought also....
Interesting views!I didn't think Payne was awful but agree that he is pretty dismal in the air. Mullin does impress me though, his work rate is epic and I suspect he is a more difficult opponent to play against than Payne. All of our forwards are being measured against a significant, and probably unfair, yardstick!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
That’s the difference between types of strikers. I’m sure Mullin covered more ground was perhaps more difficult to play against, but it was Payne who got the important goal.

Hopefully now we can move to Saturday in a positive frame of mind. Unless Micky brings a new right back in, he may stick with 5-3-2, altho caprice did some training at the open day I’m sure

ADD

Player
Norwood
Yes apparently Caprice is back in full training on Monday according to MM and Woods is fit now albeit maybe can't start...
Anyhow I would stick with 5 3 2 I think it suits us better with the forwards we now have available...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I didn't think Payne was awful but agree that he is pretty dismal in the air.
Having slept on it, I was probably a bit harsh on Payne. He did work hard and put the effort in, I just didn't think he was that good. Having said that, Mullin wasn't far behind him who I thought had a poor game and looked knackered at HT.

Player
Manager
John King
That’s the difference between types of strikers. I’m sure Mullin covered more ground was perhaps more difficult to play against, but it was Payne who got the important goal.
Yes, I agree. Although Mullin does a lot of running outside the box, would he be at the back post to tap that chance in?

Player
Manager
John King
Just as an aside, if we ever do leave Prenton Park for a ground by the Mersey, the New York Stadium is a good model to emulate. Much better than those new, soulless out-of-town grounds in an industrial estate in the middle of nowhere.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds like Payne put a shift in yesterday and as mentioned was in the right place to score the leveller. Maybe Micky is working his spell and getting the best from him. Mullin has his uses, both in terms of work-rate and ability to conjure something from nothing. There is an argument for playing two up front at present. I can see both sides in terms of whether we stick with the same formation or go back to someting more adventurous v Gillingham, though in part it will depend on who's available.

Player
Manager
John King
I am sure Micky will select an unchanged team next week; it would not be fair to drop anybody after yesterday's performance, and I doubt Banks will walk straight back into the side.

However, last season we won at Cheltenham playing a 352 and then used the same system in the following home game against Swindon and things went horribly wrong. If Gillingham come and sit deep there is a danger that formation won't work, but we will have options on the bench to change shape if necessary.

Just returning to yesterday's game, I have loved the intensity of the away matches so far despite the results, particularly the Pompey and Rotherham games. It is great to see the players really being stretched for ninety minutes, rather than some of the dross from opposition teams we were watching a couple of years ago.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The argument with having one striker would be that we would struggle to score goals. I definitely think we need two up there but then we rely heavily on the wing backs doing their defensive duties too. I actually liked having the three central defenders at the back as I thought we dealt with set pieces and crosses a lot better.

@Rockfords Love Child It certainly is refreshing to see a higher level of football these days. I really enjoyed the step up last year and hope it improves again this year.

Was anyone a little disappointed with Rotherham? I honestly thought they were going to give us a sterner challenge.

Player
Manager
John King
I thought Rotherham looked dangerous when they got going, with pace and movement up front, but we contained them well for the most part.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I thought they looked a bit disjointed to be honest. They certainly didn't play with the fluency of Rochdale but didn't lack physicality. Like us, but for different reasons, they are adjusting to a new league. I'd expect them to improve, though, and be a top half team ... possibly play offs.

Player
Manager
John King
In fairness, I think we allowed Rochdale to play through us whereas yesterday we were far more compact and clearly set out to frustrate the opposition.

drwhoman

It may be that 3-5-2 is the way to go full stop until we find our feet in L1 and start to have the confidence to take more risk. Also, the longer we stay in L1 the more likely it is that we have more money and be attractive to better players. As a result we might be able to take a more attacking approach. It would be great to be attractive to the modern equivalents of Aldridge and Nevin!