• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rotherham v Rovers

Rotherham v Rovers
Posted by Ian
AESSEAL New York Stadium
Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nelson starts but ray and manny also so hope sid isn’t right back

Mullin also starts

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Wilson injured and looks like 442 with Nelson at right back and Payne and Mullin up front. Not great that we have got players out of position again, with Jennings apparently on the left.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Woods on the bench. Even half fit probably a better option than sid surely

ADD

Player
Norwood
Not good news about Wilson... Maddox on bench which will be interesting...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Has Ray ever played full-back? Nelson doesn’t look comfortable there.

Player
Manager
John King
A good, battling half from Rovers. Hope we can keep it going. It is 352 with Morris and Rides as wing backs.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Defending well but no outlet. Don't think Payne's won a header yet.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Ray has done ok today at RB. Whole side is playing far better today tho created little. Potter should be a guaranteed starter in my book. Two up front is the way to go. Suits us far more...
Hope we can keep it going...

Player
Manager
John King
Ray has done ok today at RB. Whole side is playing far better today tho created little. Potter should be a guaranteed starter in my book. Two up front is the way to go. Suits us far more...
Hope we can keep it going...
Ray is at centre back. We have not created much but it was always going to be that kind of game. Agree about Potter. Payne has been better than Mullin in my view.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rotherham’s first home league goal of the season sees us fall behind

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Mullin and Nelson both booked after they had been subbed. How did that happen? Anything to do with Sparky's comment above?

ADD

Player
Norwood
Well that was something else. A gutsy and so so much better team display... we really need I think now to play with 2 up front as it definitely suits us more. Goal was poor - Manny who overall had his best game of the season was like a statue when their goal went in. Aside from that Sid did a great job and looked far more comfortable in a 3 5 2 formation. I was nervous about Payne's temperament when he was signed but fair play he really stayed up for it all game today despite clearly being shattered at the end. Jennings was a bit slow on the ball in the first half getting caught in possession but improved in the second half and was subject to tight double marking to be fair. Overall it is unfair to single out any player as MOM (TRFC Radio gave it to Nelson) for me it could have been one of many Sid yes but also Potter also who I would definitely retain in place of Banks or Perkins or indeed maybe Payne.

Proud of the boys today. Hopefully this will be the catalyst for us to push on now as to get a point against Rotherham was not what I had expected!

ps anyone know what Wilson's injury was?

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Win, draw or lose, if the commitment is there (and it seems that it was), then that's all you ask. Well done lads!
Something to build on.
Next two matches - Home to Gillingham and Away to Oxford - two winnable games.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Enjoyed the game today although Rotherham don't seem to have quite found their rhythm and we haven't really adjusted to the pace of L1 yet, Great feeling at the end to snatch a well deserved point that it really looked like we weren't going to get. MOM for me was Perkins who gets through so much work and seems completely in tune with the reduced time and space at this level. No criticism in terms of commitment though from 1-11. Our defence was solid but even the odd error is more likely to be punished. Nothing to suggest that this isn't going to be a difficult season and great battling performances like this one are an absolute must. Looking forward to next Saturday!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
ps anyone know what Wilson's injury was?
Mention of knee ligaments, so won't be seeing him for a while.

Great point, hopefully a result which will fire the lads on. Is this a formation and line-up we should be sticking with?

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Is this a formation and line-up we should be sticking with?
I think it would be very harsh on anybody left out if we changed the line up on Saturday. It may well be a formation that helps us get to grip with this league in the short term. We have strength at CB so why not play 3? I don't believe we have an effective lone striker so way not play 2 up top? Whatever formation we play there are always going to be players who are good enough individually but are left out.