• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rotherham v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Let's move on ASAP. Perhaps it's best the team won't have time to dwell on yesterday's debacle. I'm thinking we might get something from our first visit to the New York Stadium. The Millers are no Orient and we perform better away. If McNulty can slot into Goody's position, we might just pinch a point. I'm going for 1-1.

Last edited:

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
another loss i think, but another scrappy 1 goal in it jobby, think a draw is possible, depends how the back 4 cope without goody

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The Millers are no Orient and we perform better away.
Yes, I'd rather us be playing away at the moment than at home. If we pack the midfield and play like we did last Sunday, we've got a chance.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Rotherham's home form is not great and Ronnie's association with them gives us an extra motivation, so it is definitely possible to take something from the game. Much will depend on whether Taylor and McNulty can form a partnership at the back.

We really need to take three points from the next two games to avoid getting cut adrift.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
would happily take a point from this game.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Much will depend on whether Taylor and McNulty can form a partnership at the back.
This is the key for me. Ridehalgh seemed a decent enough left-back, but Ronnie preferred to play McNulty there and not in the centre, wonder why...
While we might take something from this one, I'm not at all confident.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Steve Jennings back on non contract terms and starts.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not a fan but due to the circumstances, it's worth a go..

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Useful point and it was good to see we actually came back from a reverse. Disappointing stat was that we had only thee shots.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Certainly needed something out of the game but we are now 3 points from safety and just have too start winning at home if we are too stay up, lets hope we can start with a win on saturday

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
According to BBC Livetext and even the OS report, it looks like we were under the cosh tonight but never gave up. I'm interested to hear first-hand reports, particularly about how Steve Jennings got on. I'm pleased we've got him. He adds quality as well as quantity. But being non-contract, does this mean he could go off at any time?

drwhoman

Pleased with the point. Had to go out when the Millers scored (am in Australia!) and thought that was that given all the Rotherham pressure. That boy Lowe is a cool cookie. Just need to get him more support. Steve Jennings is experienced, has played in a Scottish Cup Final, and you need those sorts of players in a crisis situation like we are in. Most young guys will simply not be able to handle the pressure. I am pleased that Ronnie is not sitting on his hands. I know some fans have views about him in view of his previous departure from Rovers but I am not fussed. It is all about winning games and staying up and I will take any player who can help us do that.

Player
Manager
John King
We rode our luck at times last night, but just about deserved a point for an improved second half. We should have been out of the game at half time as we were poor in the first half and Rotherham had several chances, Fonners making 3 or 4 good saves. We sat too deep, gave the ball away cheaply in midfield (Hateley in particular) and looked vulnerable.

The second half was much better as we pressed higher up the pitch, probably edged possession and created a few chances of our own, notably for Power and Stockton before the penalty. Fonners was probably MOM, with Holmes, Taylor, Power and Jennings impressive. Baggie and Stockton made a big impact coming off the bench, particularly the former. The trio of Cole / Lowe / Baggy caused them a lot of problems in the closing stages and we may even have nicked a victory in the end. Good turnout from the SWA in the circumstances.

We have now picked up four points from three games and if we repeat that form for the rest of the season we will stay up. Away from home the 4-5-1 is effective and we are always competitive, even against decent sides like Rotherham, who are a very dangerous team, probably just lacking a goalscorer: we just need to get the home form sorted now, starting on Saturday.

Last edited:

drwhoman

Agree with the last para RLC. Without being completely defensive they need to be smarter which probably means playing a tighter game. If we look back to the Leyton game we were 2-0 down very quickly to goals scored by Lisbie who has never fully matched his potential. I recall him scoring several goals for Charlton against Liverpool a few years ago. On a different tack, I see McGurk scored again at the weekend. Not sure how many he has got this season but maybe Div Two is more his level or else we did not use him to best advantage. Gornell is another one in the same category - on the mark for Cheltenham at the weekend.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We have now picked up four points from three games and if we repeat that form for the rest of the season we will stay up.
Thanks for the report, but two of the games were away and only one at home. Unless we start winning at home, we will surely go down. However, I think we now have the players to stay up (in terms of quality and attitude), particularly once one or two of the long-term absentees return.

By the way, it was nice to see five players who came up from our youth set-up in last night's starting line-up plus two more on the bench - even though Holmes, Jennings and Koumas are in their second spells.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Seems like packing the midfield is the way to go away from home. Picking up draws and the odd away win us fine, but like has been said, what are we going to do at home? We need to be more positive and I would start using the width and getting back to basics. Get crosses into the box for our starved strikers. Think we need to be giving Bell-Baggie a start.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A good point for Rovers. I've some misgivings about starting with Bell-Baggie, he seems more effective when brought on as an impact player. Perhaps we could look at Horwood playing in front of Ridehalgh on the left, as he can be quite effective going forward and with set-pieces. Despite all the injuries, there are options for Ronnie and it will be interesting to see what course he takes

Player
Manager
John King
Perhaps we could look at Horwood playing in front of Ridehalgh on the left, as he can be quite effective going forward and with set-pieces.

I like that idea. Horwood is as good going forward as he is poor defensively.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
might as well play him there and go 4-4-2 at home but doubt Ronnie will do it

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Get crosses into the box for our starved strikers. Think we need to be giving Bell-Baggie a start.
I like the idea of getting crosses in the box - not that sophisticated, but main flaw would be lack of strikers if only playing one up and in the case of Lowe he is working his arse off chasing down when his energy might be better conserved for being in the right place when we have the ball. When we have two up the midfiel get swamped - so may be the trick is to play 5 across the middle with Horwood in advanced role, but try and ensure one or two of the central midfielders are getting up and down whilst offering Lowe better support. May be give BB a free role behind Lowe, but with an instruction alongside other midfielders to put a shift in and close down when we don't have the ball. Drop Power or Atkinson to accomadate BB
OFW Holmes, Taylor, McNulty, Ridehalgh, Kirby, Bell Baggie, Hately, Atkinson, Horwood, Lowe;)