• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rochdale v Rovers

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I'm feeling a little more upbeat than on Tuesday night. Despite our losing form we have (generally) been competitive and that suggests that at some point we will achieve a winning result. I really can't see us escaping the drop but, unless we have actually gone backwards as a team since the start of the season, we should be able to put up some sort of a fight to retain our L1 status. Saturday could be the day, and I don't want to miss it, so I'll make one of my shortest trips this season to offer my support. There is pay on the day so at least I can change my mind if the melancholy sets in again before Saturday!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Loving the optimism @ONIGP ! :thumbsup:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I hate to piss on your chips ONIGP, but I've got a ticket for this game and haven't seen Rovers win an away game for a decade. However, with Storm Dennis and poor conditions at Spotland mean there is a high risk of a postponement.

If the game does go ahead, Wilson and Woods won't be fit and Clarke is touch and go but probably won't be risked. As for the rest of the line-up probably similar to Tuesday though there is a case for shuffling the pack a bit.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Presuming the game goes ahead I think they will win 2 0

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wilson and Woods injury prone. They can only last a few games and they’re crocked.

@Boz @bigmart I’m loving your optimism too :p

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We simply have to score sooner or later so I’m going with a rare 1-0 Rovers win.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I hate to piss on your chips ONIGP, but I've got a ticket for this game and haven't seen Rovers win an away game for a decade.
I sincerely feel for you, Boz, away victories are God's special reward to supporters. You must have done something really bad in a previous life; perhaps you were a Wrexham season ticket holder? There must be some sort of ban that the Club can invoke against you.

As a matter of interest what was your last away win, not that I'll remember it ...

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I sincerely feel for you, Boz, away victories are God's special reward to supporters. You must have done something really bad in a previous life; perhaps you were a Wrexham season ticket holder? There must be some sort of ban that the Club can invoke against you.

As a matter of interest what was your last away win, not that I'll remember it ...
It was the 0-3 at Stockport under Les Parry that kept us in L1.

In my younger days, had more joy watching Rovers away than at PP. There’s always hope, until last season I’d never seen Rovers win at Wembley.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In hindsight, I think the writing was on the wall for us in the reverse fixture. While we were always going to take a few weeks to adjust to a higher level of football, to be as comprehensively outplayed by a team who are perennial strugglers at this level suggested that it would be difficult for us to survive this season. For what it is worth, aside from Coventry I have not seen a League One team pass and move as well as Rochdale did that day.

What can we do to improve the creativity of the side ? I am not sure switching to 532 is the answer while Wilson and Banks are both out of action, and I would be inclined to stick with 442. Cook and Vaughan have not really developed a partnership, and we don't have a threat in behind opposition defences when those two play together. However, I would still be inclined to persevere with them, on the basis that history suggests Vaughan is more likely than Ferrier to take the few chances we do create.

The weather forecast is not great, but we really need this game to go ahead, as Wimbledon play twice next week and our next match is away to Wycombe.

Player
Manager
John King
The quality of football we’ve been playing recently is poor and not good to watch. I can understand people staying away.
I can't. You either support, or you don't.

It is in circumstances like this that the club needs it supporters.

We have had untrammelled success for three years.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
There have been a huge number of home games recently including the 2 cup ties and a well supported fixture at Bolton, this has been an expensive month or so and it may well be telling. Being on a losing run, not playing the best and an air of inevitability about relegation is bound to lead to a reduction in footfall. Unfortunately, when a team is struggling the need for support and the numbers who support will usually be inversely correlated. I'm sure that the support will be fantastic at Rochdale but it will really help if a performance worth cheering about is served up.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
I fully understand that many supporters can't afford to attend every game, particularly when the fixture list is congested. However, I have never understood the mentality of people that don't turn up because the team is struggling.

I appreciate I am in a minority.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I fully understand that many supporters can't afford to attend every game, particularly when the fixture list is congested. However, I have never understood the mentality of people that don't turn up because the team is struggling.

I appreciate I am in a minority.
Yes, therein lies the difference between "supporters" and "diehards". I don't think anybody would question which category you occupy, RLC!

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
In hindsight, I think the writing was on the wall for us in the reverse fixture. While we were always going to take a few weeks to adjust to a higher level of football, to be as comprehensively outplayed by a team who are perennial strugglers at this level suggested that it would be difficult for us to survive this season. For what it is worth, aside from Coventry I have not seen a League One team pass and move as well as Rochdale did that day.

What can we do to improve the creativity of the side ? I am not sure switching to 532 is the answer while Wilson and Banks are both out of action, and I would be inclined to stick with 442. Cook and Vaughan have not really developed a partnership, and we don't have a threat in behind opposition defences when those two play together. However, I would still be inclined to persevere with them, on the basis that history suggests Vaughan is more likely than Ferrier to take the few chances we do create.

The weather forecast is not great, but we really need this game to go ahead, as Wimbledon play twice next week and our next match is away to Wycombe.
Hope I'm wrong, but a Cookie partnership with Vaughn/Ferrier is not for me. Although early days Cook/Vaughn not promising as you say.
442 would be a worry the likely pairing will be solid, but not great in creativity. It MM only plays one of them with say Gilmour I think we'd be over in.
Plenty of injuries, but can we not put a 352 side out? Eg
Davies
Nelson, Monthe, Rides
McCulloch, Woodyard
Caprice Gilmour (Jenno) Morris
Cook CBT

Front two more of a mix than current blunt duo, and centre backs will have be wary of CBT taking the ball past them after a killer Gilmour ball. Caprice and Morris can still ping a ball in from the flanks for Cook.

Player
Manager
John King
I like the idea if mixing it up Higgy, but I don't think CBT is effective as a centre forward. I think you either have to play him wide in a 442, or leave him out.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I like the idea if mixing it up Higgy, but I don't think CBT is effective as a centre forward. I think you either have to play him wide in a 442, or leave him out.
Likewise but agree that CBT could be stifled if played more centrally. It would also be a brave move leaving 2 of 3 centre forwards on the bench, bearing in mind the investment made in them. Having said that, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Micky tried it as some point.