• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Robins v Rovers

Match result

• Robins

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rovers

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Robins v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Jonny-Rocks Stadium
Friday, April 2, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Friday, April 2, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
Keith Hill comes across as a 'nice bloke'. He may well be putting on an act when he says he doesn't 'give a rollicking' to players. Maybe that is the issue. Some react to arm around the shoulder, some to the 'Fergie hairdryer' treatment. Emotion is part and parcel of life....

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Keith Hill comes across as a 'nice bloke'. He may well be putting on an act when he says he doesn't 'give a rollicking' to players. Maybe that is the issue. Some react to arm around the shoulder, some to the 'Fergie hairdryer' treatment. Emotion is part and parcel of life....
He also comes across as a smart and intelligent bloke. (For the difference, Trump is smart but not intelligent.) He will know what works best with each of his players and the squad as a whole.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
However, he has left us in a situation where we do not have an adequate centre forward at the club, and confidence and the quality of performances has gradually ebbed away in Vaughan's absence.

I don't think the constant tinkering with formations without Vaughan has helped either: I think at one stage yesterday we had six of the outfield players out of position, which can't help the balance of the side.

Hill needs to earn his money in the closing weeks of the season if it is to end in success.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
However, he has left us in a situation where we do not have an adequate centre forward at the club, and confidence and the quality of performances has gradually ebbed away in Vaughan's absence.
I think that's unfair. Quality strikers don't grow on trees. We did well to get one, never mind two. Admittedly, Nugent was a gamble, but who else was available that we could afford? Even moneybags Man City are saying they won't be able to afford a replacement for Aguero next season.

Player
Manager
John King
I think that's unfair. Quality strikers don't grow on trees. We did well to get one, never mind two. Admittedly, Nugent was a gamble, but who else was available that we could afford? Even moneybags Man City are saying they won't be able to afford a replacement for Aguero next season.
Stefan Payne and Sam Smith were already at the club. Hill chose to release them without having an adequate replacement.

Payne is not a great player but he scored, from memory, seven goals in twenty games last season. He is capable of doing a job at this level and offers more than Nugent.

Smith played for the side that beat us four nil yesterday and had a decent game.

In addition, Ferrier was released, albeit apparently for off the field issues.

I think it is negligent to let three strikers leave and bring in one replacement who is 36 and has not played for eighteen months (it was never intended that Jolley would play this season).

Player
Manager
John King
I also find it hard to believe that Nugent was the only option available to us if we insisted on bringing in another forward. There are journeyman forwards at this level who offer more than him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think Hill has to take some of the flak for the situation striker-wise that we find ourselves in, though I'd temper that by saying that some of the decision making may not be totally his. For example, the decision to bring in Jolley is likely to have been scouting-based and maybe it was felt Charlie was closer to first team action than the reality when he was brought in. While the plan clearly wasn't to rely on Nugent, there was always a risk that Vaughan's whole-hearted style of play would see him out of action and allowing 3 strikers to leave without bringing in someone else who'd be in contention for first team action. That was needed more than both Kirby/Crawford, attacking midfielders who've yet to register a goal or assist.

We're stuck with who we have now, so I'd settle for using players in their correct positions and bringing Blackett-Taylor out of the wilderness as at least an option on the bench.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I also find it hard to believe that Nugent was the only option available to us if we insisted on bringing in another forward. There are journeyman forwards at this level who offer more than him.

Yes I agree and I forgot about smith so that’s 3 strikers Hill allowed to leave. We replaced them with a youngster deemed not ready and a 36 year old who is past it. Surely there was someone out there in their 20s who could have done a job.
That alongside the fact that we signed Kirby and Crawford from the transfer budget - neither of which have established themselves even though we let banks go, show failings in the transfer market that all managers are judged on

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
To be fair, Smith didn't do a great deal for the few games he played. No-one was disappointing to see him leave..
They took a gamble on Nugent I'm assuming because of his past history and experience and it didn't pay off. Not the first and certainly won't be the last flop we've signed over the years. We just have to hope Hill can work with these players. I'll be disappointed if I see the same team selection on Mon.

Player
Manager
John King
To be fair, Smith didn't do a great deal for the few games he played. No-one was disappointing to see him leave..
They took a gamble on Nugent I'm assuming because of his past history and experience and it didn't pay off. Not the first and certainly won't be the last flop we've signed over the years. We just have to hope Hill can work with these players. I'll be disappointed if I see the same team selection on Mon.
Smith barely played in fairness, and when he did play it was often out of position on the wing.

He clearly offers more than Nugent because he is starting semi-regularly for the team that thumped us yesterday. He also had a decent loan spell in this division at Cambridge last season.

Reactions: Boz