• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Robins v Rovers

Match result

• Robins

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rovers

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Robins v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Jonny-Rocks Stadium
Friday, April 2, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Friday, April 2, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I largely agree with Sparky's comments above.

Murphy should have dealt better with the long throws and collectively the back four were poor, but the lack of organisation and preparedness at the back is what concerned me most. Why did we give away so many cheap throws early in the game, why were we focussing solely on winning the first rather than the second balls, and why physically and mentally were so flat at the start of the biggest game of the season ? Hill has to take his share of responsibility for the lack of organisation and appetite on the pitch today.

At two nil we actually started to play some reasonable football and create a few half chances, but without Vaughan we once again lacked a focal point and did not look like scoring. Which again begs the question of why we replaced two strikers with the clearly past it Nugent, leaving us completely exposed if Vaughan was missing.

Irrespective of Vaughan's absence, with the talent we have on the pitch I still think we should carry more of a goalscoring threat, but we have not adapted our play sufficiently in his absence.

I agree with Sparky that Hill and the players have to show some cojones and earn their money in the next few days. We need a performance and a victory against Cambridge, or there is a danger the whole season will unravel and we might find ourselves clinging on to a play off spot, never mind challenging for the top three.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
All of the four below Tranmere lost , and if Tranmere don't make automatic but playoffs then I'd rather Bolton do instead, to avoid them. So whilst no gain was made, only lost a point on third today. Could have been a lot worse. So, just need 3 points against Cambridge....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
At two nil we actually started to play some reasonable football and create a few half chances, but without Vaughan we once again lacked a focal point and did not look like scoring. Which again begs the question of why we replaced two strikers with the clearly past it Nugent, leaving us completely exposed if Vaughan was missing.

Irrespective of Vaughan's absence, with the talent we have on the pitch I still think we should carry more of a goalscoring threat, but we have not adapted our play sufficiently in his absence.
This is the problem we face. There is no plan b in Vaughan's absence and my worry is that there is no answer until he comes back. For the majority of games we have the possession and play reasonable football but when it comes to scoring, clueless at the moment. Which is why i said last week it does not matter how much time off you get to work on things, we do not have an answer, full stop. We setup the same as we have done in Vaughan's absence, Lewis up front. Woolery and Feeney playing in the wrong positions etc etc. What did they learn or work on in the last week? I'd love to know.

And to top it off, defensively we were so poor today. Ray looked like the old Ray, Clarke not much better. Where was the passion from the players? 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 down. Just accepted too easily. Not good enough for a promotion chasing side. Nothing good game from that and they all need to take a hard look at themselves including Hill.

We were so poor today that I'm glad in a way it was only 1 game and we only lost 3 points. We move on to Mon and we need a response but who will score the goals and get us moving again?

Player
Does the lack of information about Vaughan mean he is out for the season or that he may just be back for a number of games? HILL mentioned 2 to 4 weeks 3 or 4 weeks ago....

frenchrover

Player
aldo
The question should be asked of management why, given our lack of goals since Vaughan's injury, when the game was gone at 3-0 down at half-time, and certainly after 60 mins, why Burton, a centre-forward albeit a youngster, was not given some game-time rather than introduce Crawford, Ridehalgh, or even Nugent, who offers nothing and is well past his sell- by date. This defeat would have been an excellent opportunity to offer Button some meaningful league play...but was squandered.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Does the lack of information about Vaughan mean he is out for the season or that he may just be back for a number of games? HILL mentioned 2 to 4 weeks 3 or 4 weeks ago....

You wonder whether he’ll end up being rushed back.....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I feared that we'd lose today, but not in such a spineless way. We did very little attack-wise but the main failing was some woeful defending, which contributed to us letting in 3 goals, which could have been prevented. The last one from the lad who was once on our books was a quality finish. Both Clarke and especially Ray were well below par today and as others have already observed, while we often made an initial clearance there was a lack of follow-up work and closing down. While Murphy isn't as vocal as Scott Davies, I wouldn't pin too much on him for this performance. Aside from Nugent fluffing the very late chance in the second half, we appeared to offer even less in attacking efforts second half, despite spending more time in their half. After this showing, the Nugent experiment has failed for me, give Burton a start or even put Clarke/Ray up front as we are currently incapable of keeping a clean sheet so need goals to get anything out of the games.

The other results mostly went our way today, which gives us some breathing space in terms of making the play-offs. The manager needs to be honest about how much we contributed to our own downfall in this game and agree that it was an unacceptable performance.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't like singling out players, but I don't want to see Nugent involved again. He clearly was not bothered today, as in virtually every previous game. Failing to jump for challenges, shield the ball and chase things down. Just a basic lack of effort, aside from any fitness issues.

I don't think it is time to use Jolley or Burton, which for me are desperation gambles really. I don't see why Woolery or Lloyd can't be played as the central striker rather than Lewis, and why that option has not been worked on previously. It is not as if we are a long ball team that has to use a physical target man.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, Nugent is not an option we need going forward. I don't think playing Woolery works either. He's good when running at players but not as a main man up front. Lloyd possibly but would he just get battered by the centre backs? I don't know what the answer is, I don't think we have any decent options in our squad for that position.

KH has always been a bit cagey about injuries. He doesn't give much away at all, so god only knows what the situation with Vaughan is.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Keith typically positive which is understandable to a degree, plus the questioning as usual was hardly challenging.

interesting he says 99% of the squad is united (is CBT the 1%?), and that maybe a couple of the players don’t think they have what it takes to take us up. I take that as perhaps confidence in general has been lost since Vaughan and now Scottie are absent.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I don't like singling out players, but I don't want to see Nugent involved again. He clearly was not bothered today, as in virtually every previous game. Failing to jump for challenges, shield the ball and chase things down. Just a basic lack of effort, aside from any fitness issues.

I don't think it is time to use Jolley or Burton, which for me are desperation gambles really. I don't see why Woolery or Lloyd can't be played as the central striker rather than Lewis, and why that option has not been worked on previously. It is not as if we are a long ball team that has to use a physical target man.

I agree with this. My first choice front 3 was always Lloyd Vaughan and Woolery. Ok we’ve lost Vaughan but as has been stated the recruitment for that central striker back up is a major problem. Woolery can play centrally but is better in my opinion out wide. Lewis isn’t the answer either and I agree that burton and Jolley whilst worth a punt given Nugents lack of contribution, are probably not the answer. So what does Keith do?

I always remember Lloyds hat trick at PP against us and wonder if he’s worth a go in the middle to get on the end of balls into the box

Player
Manager
John King
The positive in relation to the goalkeeping situation is that I doubt Murphy will have as rough a ride in terms of balls into the box in the final eight games. Against more 'conventional' opposition he probably won't be exposed as he was today.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I take that as perhaps confidence in general has been lost since Vaughan and now Scottie are absent.
Definitely taken a hit since Vaughan's injury.

One thing that does annoy me with KH is these comments: “The only thing I've ever lost in life is my dad. Everything else is easy." Where do you go from there? Just focus on the game and the fact that people will be disappointed after that result.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The commentators said that Vaughan will be back soon.

Words do not describe how bad that was

drwhoman

It does nothing for a team when they know they do not have a striker. It puts so much pressure on the defence and midfield. With hindsight, Nugent was a mistake. There are very few strikers his age still going round. Injuries and physical bettering have taken their toll. Not the first has been striker we have signed in recent years! I tend to the view that you might just as well give a youngster a run. You can do no worse. The false nine idea is not working. Anyway, onward. The game is history now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've tried to erase the Peterborough 0-5 Cup game when Danny Lloyd got a hattrick from my memory. Was he playing as an out and out striker that day? If he can operate there, then no harm giving him a go. Lewis as a striker didn't work today, although he's also scored a hattrick against us, though think that was from midfield.

Agree with drwhoman that we might as well given Burton/Jolley a start, haven't got many other options, save maybe Lloyd. At the least, one of them should be first change if we try Lloyd up front and it's not working. Nugent appearances would be restricted to later cameos if we're winning as he might help game manage.

Not inspired in any way by KH post-match interview.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think it is fair to throw Jolley or Burton into this situation. Jolley has clearly been bought for the future and did not look ready in his one previous appearance. We really have no idea where Burton is currently up to and he has not featured for months. By all means have them on the bench, but I would not want them to start games.

There are experienced attacking players in the squad with proven quality that could be more effective, if we are set up correctly.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree about the youngsters. Jolly looked very raw with his brief appearance. We need someone in the box to convert. What about Feeney and Woolery back on the wings were they are most effective running at people and getting balls into the box with Lloyd and then possibly Lewis up top. Morris and Spearing pulling the strings in midfield.

Player
Wonder what Monthe would be like up front? May be more effective than Nugent! A sort of 'operation Ronnie Moore" approach.