• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Robins v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Key pair of games coming up, weather permitting. Firstly a trip to Ashton Gate, where our recent form is dismal and the home side will be fired up after a good win at Orient. It's been a surprise that they're the wrong end of the table although the change of manager seems to be turning things round.

Talk of diamond formations from Ronnie. It's not easy setting up to play to our strengths, but I hope Koumas starts and that Lowe is deployed centrally. Although I don't expect it to happen, would like to see Goodison replacing Arthurworrey for one of the next two games.

Prediction: Lose by a couple of goals.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
One month's rain is due to fall in the next 24 to 36 hours in the West Country, so this fixture must be in some doubt.

Despite their league position, City's recent home form is not bad and in attacking areas the Robins look pretty strong, with Emmanuel Thomas, Baldock and the recently signed Barnett all good players at this level. Looking at the other fixtures on Saturday, it seems unlikely we will drop into the bottom four even with a defeat, but with games running out we need to take something to reach our 50 point target. A draw would be a good result.

On paper the diamond formation looks attractive given our strength in the centre of midfield and the absence of reliable wide players, so it will be interesting to see how it works out.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We really cannot afford to lose this game if we are to stay up, think we will draw 1 1 if the game goes ahead

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This really is a big game as losing to Preston is one thing but losing against a side just above us is a totally different matter.

As already stated the Robins have good attacking players at this level and will be buoyed by a great result against Orient. Their players and manager have been saying this week the Orient result will mean nothing if they don't beat us so suspect they will be well up for it right from the off.

Can't see Goodi coming back as apart from Preston Arthurworry has been good imo. I can't see the diamaond shape happening so I assume if not it'll be the 4-5-1 with Lowe out right again and Jake leading the line. Koumas has to play, simple as that and I'm sure he will.

It would be great if Robbo came back in and with an all scouse midfield of Wallace, Jenno, Koumas, Robbo - plus Everton loannee Kennedy, that could be a decent 5 to stifle the Robins and give us attacking options to support Jake. Failing that bring Horwood in on the left side in front of Ridehalgh.

I am going for a draw which would not be a bad result. Failing that lets hope for a postponement!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd have to disagree with Sparky about Robinson. It would be great to hear that Robbo's accepted that he's nowhere near full fitness, has gone on a diet and volunteered for extra training in the hope of being in a position to make some significant contribution to keeping us up. Until that happens, he should be restricted to cameos from the bench.

I don't think Goodison will replace Arthurworrey, just that it's an idea worth considering given how crucial this game is. There have also been a few lapses of concentration from the Fulham loanee prior to the Preston game.

Player
Manager
John King
I'd have to disagree with Sparky about Robinson. It would be great to hear that Robbo's accepted that he's nowhere near full fitness, has gone on a diet and volunteered for extra training in the hope of being in a position to make some significant contribution to keeping us up. Until that happens, he should be restricted to cameos from the bench.

I agree. In recent weeks Robbo has been useful coming off the bench for the last twenty minutes, but he is capable of no more than that in all honesty. I don't actually think his current fitness is the real issue, more a case of the neglect of his body over a number of years catching up with him much earlier than players of his age who have looked after themselves properly, Koumas and (particularly) Ryan Lowe being obvious examples.

I think this will certainly be Robbo's final season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It's probably more hope than expectation on my part that Robbo would be fit for a full 90 these days.

Would agree it will probably be his last season.

Not sure if there is a pitch inspection at Ashton gate this morning?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Huge game this one. No mention of a pitch inspection. I think if we pack the midfield we'll do OK.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Apparently weve lost our last 6 games there, we have to get at least raw from this game

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A very good point, coming from behind twice. Very pleased to see Jake get off the mark and Jason hit the equaliser. Looking at Livetext, I was surprised to see we had eight corners to their none. Also, we committed four fouls and got four yellow cards, while their seven fouls resulted in no bookings! Stats can be misleading, so I'm looking forward to the reports to hear just how well we did.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It sounded like we did really well. Then again it always sounds like we were doing really well when AD is giving his opinion. Excellent draw, but we need to be able to build on it.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This really was a good result and performance too by all accounts. After the robins result against Orient and with them taking an early lead I feared the worse but credit to the lads for coming back and great for Jake to get his first goal in his last 36 appearances ! From Ronnies comments we were the better side so to go 1-2 down with 10 mins to go the heads could have dropped - but credit to Jason for coming up with some magic from the old days. Ronnie said our midfield ran the show and with Wallace, Jenno, Koumas in the middle, few sides especially those in the bottom half will be able to match us in that area if they can all stay available.

A good point leading us into a winnable home game next Saturday.

Player
Manager
John King
Very pleased with the performance today but disappointed with the result, as we were much the better side and should have won the game. Both of City's goals came against the run of play and were undeserved, and in all honesty they were dire for virtually the whole ninety minutes. Rovers, by contrast, were well organised, competitive and played a lot of decent football: we controlled the game in midfield and the trio of Wallace, Koumas and Jennings were impressive once again.

Other than the goals, the best chances were all created by Rovers, with Lowey going close in each half - further evidence that he will get chances even when starting out wide - the first an opportunity at the back post after great work by Kennedy and Cassidy which he really should have buried. Defensively we were solid throughout, the only exception being City's second goal - the only decent bit of football they put together all game - where we backed off to the edge of our own box. City's first was a fluke, a sliced cross which deceived Fon Williams and went in off the post and if it had not been for that ill fortune we would probably have won the game. Great credit must go to the players for the spirit they showed to come from behind twice in a game which they really should have been winning quite comfortably.

Cassidy worked hard and led the line well as always, and I was delighted to see him get his first goal, an absolute belter, lashed into the roof of the night with his weaker foot. Koumas's goal was arguably even better and hopefully he can add further goals in the remainder of the season, the only thing that has been missing from his game in recent weeks.

Matthew Pennington would be my man of the match, but special mention must go to Stephen Arthurworrey who, after a couple of nervy performances, put in a really solid display. I thought Wallace had probably his best game since returning from injury and the usual suspects - Taylor, Jennings - played well.

Special mention must also got to the 310 travelling SWA who outsung the 11,000-strong home support all game. Despite the events of yesterday, there was no lack of spirit on or off the pitch. Good that other results all went for us as well.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good point, looking forward to seeing the Koumas goal.

Thanks for the report RLC, are you able to throw any light on the four fouls four cards stat BBTC refers to, was the ref a real homer?

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks for the report RLC, are you able to throw any light on the four fouls four cards stat BBTC refers to, was the ref a real homer?

The ref was pretty unobtrusive for the majority of the game but a couple of the yellows were harsh. We were more competitive than City all afternoon, which might explain the statistic.

I was more surprised at the possession stats, which certainly don't give a true reflection of the game.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Im pleased with a point it was vital not to lose to one of our relegation rivals, the same stands for Tuesday against Crawley, who are going to have some fixture pile up.