• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rip worthy

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Frank Worthington sadly passed away, rip Super Frank.

Reactions: Ian

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Such a shame. I had some fab memories of Frank and was furtunate enough to have access to the Players Lounge when he was player manager. And yes, there were pretty girls! I remember the FA Cup tie up at Spennymoor (2-0 down until Muir rescued us) where he came out with the best ever put down to a fan over the rope that separated us from the pitch. I can't repeat it on here but the speed of thought to digest the banter and respond whilst running down the left wing was truly impressive! Apart from being a sublime player (often 2 steps ahead of his teammates in L4) he made some excellent signings and played his part in our journey to the moon. RIP.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Before my time but when you see some of the players I think he signed (Muir, Mark Hughes, Vickers and Morrisey) he clearly had an eye for a player.

RIP Frank

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
One of the great characters from my early years watching Rovers. He certainly had an eye for technically gifted players like Muir and Morrissey, and we scored (and conceded) plenty of goals under him.

One of his great quotes at the time was 'We may be crap, but we can all balance the ball on the back of our neck !'.

RIP Frank.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
He makes my all-time “played for both Rovers and England” team - up front with Dixie Dean. ;)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
RIP.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Lol. So much competition for those attacking positions that Nugent and Ricketts would probably make your bench!
Frankly, I think I'd have to have Nugent on the bench with Pongo Waring (no, I don't remember him!!), as there is not a lot of choice. :(

PS It might be fun to pick a team/squad who played for both Rovers and England. Something for the close season, perhaps?

drwhoman

He was one of a flamboyant generation of players who might struggle with modern day discipline. Hudson, Marsh, Bowles, Currie, Best (of course!). Frank was a very entertaining player who I first saw in the flesh when we beat Huddersfield in the Cup around 1970. The fact that Shankly later tried to sign him, says a lot. He failed the medical due to high blood pressure! RIP Frank. So sad that he struggled with Altheimers.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sad news re Frank, an amazing player in his day. RIP.