• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Reform of English football

ADD

Player
Norwood
Just posted this on the Salford thread but as there is this talk of US franchises apparently last week TPG an American equity offered to buy 20% of the EFL. Similar deal to what happened with CVC also a US equity fund buying into Premiership rugby. Approach rejected by Parry without even being put to members apparently.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Apparently, this proposal is now dead, having been rejected at a meeting of EPL clubs today. Instead, the 20 clubs will work together on a joint proposal for football reform. Although technically dead, the Big Picture was an attempt to open the debate and steer things their way, so let's wait and see what happens.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Any idea of the figures involved ?
£50 million to be split between Leagues One and Two, with two thirds for League One. An element of the £50 million is in the form of an interest free loan, but they have not specified what proportion.

No assistance for the Championship yet, but that is still being discussed.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
By my calculation and assuming the money is equally shared between all 24 clubs, that means we get about £700k. If we'd still been in L1 it would have been £1.4M, so that's another £700k the demotion has cost us. But the money will be welcome, even if most of it is a loan.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
By my calculation and assuming the money is equally shared between all 24 clubs, that means we get about £700k. If we'd still been in L1 it would have been £1.4M, so that's another £700k the demotion has cost us. But the money will be welcome, even if most of it is a loan.
I'm not sure it will be shared equally, the EFL are holding a meeting today so maybe more details will emerge soon.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I have just caught up with a post on the BBC website about the proposed bailout for EFL clubs.
www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/54587893
It seems the EPL are insisting that any money will be given on the basis of dire need in order to prevent a club folding rather than to help cover the increased costs and loss of revenue caused by the pandemic. This is strange, as I thought Covid was the catalyst. It’s also worrying, as it will probably mean we’ll get nothing as we are a well-run, sustainable club. Instead, it will go to the overspending clubs such as those who bought their survival in League One last season at our expense.
Someone needs to sort this out as soon as possible.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Up to 4000 fans will be allowed into grounds at tiers 1/2. Zero allowed in tier 3. Updated tiers allowed announced later this week but whilst Wirral rates have dropped; my guess if it’ll still be lumped in with Liverpool and tier 3 May still apply.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Up to 4000 fans will be allowed into grounds at tiers 1/2. Zero allowed in tier 3. Updated tiers allowed announced later this week but whilst Wirral rates have dropped; my guess if it’ll still be lumped in with Liverpool and tier 3 May still apply.
I suspect you'll be right @Sparky. It looks like 2000 for Tier 2. The geographical unit of Liverpool City Region doesn't appear to be proving particularly helpful for Rovers or the good folks of the Wirral in general.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, I think it will be a big fat zero for us.

Player
aldo
Liverpool now down to 184 cases a week down from 700, and still a week to go I can see us in tier 2

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What does tier 2 get us?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Max crowd of 2000
I would rather we just waited until we can allow 4,000 in to be honest. It will be disappointing for season ticket holders to miss 30% of the games and the club will probably make a significant loss on each match if the numbers are that low.