• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

ray mathias to be named manager by fri

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
could will be as on radio that he is told the board he wants the job

evo_trfc

He sat by me on saturday - I did notice he was taken notes on the team sheet so could very well be!

Although someone who works for Johnson told me on saturday johnson has his manager and will be announced this week he wouldnt say who it was all he knew it wasn't an ex tranmere player

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Take it or leave this but I have just been told Paul Jewell is to be named as manager with Ray as no 2. Not the first time I have heard this however dismissed it at first as thought there was no chance he would come here.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm pretty sure the announcement will be this week, but there are still numerous names flying about. Although Ray Mathias, hmm, I dunno..

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
To be fair this wasn't the news i wan't to be hearing Ray's a good bloke but he's had his chance, i would have as a number 2, but would want him as the manager.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Paul Jewell as manager with Ray Mathias as number two would be my dream team - at least from all the combos mentioned since Ronnie left. Jewell is local and knows how to achieve success at clubs without much money. I also find it hard to believe as PJ is good friends with the new Hull chairman Adam Pearson and is tipped to take over from Phil Brown. I know which job I'd want!

DixieDean

Jewell and Ray would be an amazing combo! And both guys fit in with Mr Johnson's selection criteria that I've suggested in another thread!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Jewell is supposedly also in the running for the Hull job :lol: Can't see him coming here myself.

The re-appointment of Mathias is painfully more realistic. Don't get me wrong, I do like him and I'm not even sure he should have been sacked in the first place, but I don't think he's the type of manager that will come in and make a big impact on a squad which is so desperately lacking in confidence and organisation.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm in agreement with SonkORLY here..

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
ive heard its going to be alan knill from bury tomorrow but i have my doubts be him as doubt we can afford the compensation.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Whoever it is, lets get them appointed in the next 24 hours. Firstly, with all this speculation dragging on, I'm losing the will to live. More importantly, it will give them enough time to make an impact before Saturday's game, which could have a significant bearing on our finances.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
ive heard its going to be alan knill from bury tomorrow but i have my doubts be him as doubt we can afford the compensation.
he lost a hell of a lot of games at rotherham..
i thought we would have heard by now as boz says, give them a few days with the squad before the cup game.

tomorrow is the day! :whistle:

The rumour mill

Gossip, idle chatter and wishful thinking are the order of the day and I wouldnt want to add to such speculation, but,

Jimmy Harvey has not yet signed a contract at Chester
Chester are deep in the brown stuff with a points deduction already in place, another one likely and are under the threat of expulsion

Jimmy knows nonleague and lower division football well, has a proven track record etc

I have it on good authority, from a friend of a friend of my next door neighbours cat that -

You can bet yer bollocks he takes over before the weekend, we beat the mighty Orient and league fortunes revive a little. We finish fourth from bottom, agonisingly [what other way could Tranmere do it?] go down but not in freefall and bounce back within two seasons.

And just to inform our friend Sonkorley I am a "seasoned" season ticket holder and have been supporting the Rovers for just over 46 years, boy, man and sometimes fool, but I'm happy to do so and see no reason to stop.

Come on chaps, nail yer colours to the mast, where do you really think we will finish the season?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Gossip, idle chatter and wishful thinking are the order of the day and I wouldnt want to add to such speculation, but,

Jimmy Harvey has not yet signed a contract at Chester
Chester are deep in the brown stuff with a points deduction already in place, another one likely and are under the threat of expulsion

Jimmy knows nonleague and lower division football well, has a proven track record etc

I have it on good authority, from a friend of a friend of my next door neighbours cat that -

You can bet yer bollocks he takes over before the weekend, we beat the mighty Orient and league fortunes revive a little. We finish fourth from bottom, agonisingly [what other way could Tranmere do it?] go down but not in freefall and bounce back within two seasons.

And just to inform our friend Sonkorley I am a "seasoned" season ticket holder and have been supporting the Rovers for just over 46 years, boy, man and sometimes fool, but I'm happy to do so and see no reason to stop.

Come on chaps, nail yer colours to the mast, where do you really think we will finish the season?

Nor would I ask you to. But it's a little sad to see a 50+ year old bloke seemingly unable to hold a discussion without spitting his dummy out when disagreed with. why do you feel the need to randomly justify yourself to me? :lol: You win season ticket top trumps, well played. Anyway, why have you changed your mind about wanting Les Parry to get the full time job?

In the past I've also been keen for us to bring in a manager associated with the club. We have done so twice in recent times, in Moore and Mathias, both were sacked quite hastily. Right now we're in a mess and we need a proper manager. I wouldn't want Harvey, Ray or Les. I don't care too much for affiliations at the moment - I just want someone to come in and keep us up. Davey, Cotterill...

Can't possibly say where we'll finish 'till the big announcement. I will say that think we'd get relegated under Mathias.

The big question is, why the delay? If Jewell really is somehow interested, but wants to hold out to see what happens to Phil Brown at Hull, then 2+2=4. I'm really trying to believe it lol...

Player
Liam Palmer
I might be totally wrong but I just can't see someone like Jewell, who has managed recently at a higher level, wanting to take over at a club (almost) rock-bottom of League 1.

I think it's more likely that we'll get someone from the L1/L2 merrygoround, someone with, er, more clubs than Jack Nicklaus, etc. etc.

I just hope he can work a miracle with that shower, whoever he is!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha.. As much as we hate to admit this about our club, there's not a lot to attract a manager of decent pedigree. We have no money, little support from the people of Wirral and we are fighting to finish bottom with Wycombe.

Think we need to be more realistic. I think it'll be either:

1. Someone unemployed.
2. Someone desperate
3. Someone stepping up from a lower league.