• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Railwaymen v Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our nearest thing to a local derby, against an unpredictable Crewe side, who certainly have goals in them. They've sold on a couple of their academy players over the summer to Premier teams and their likely line-up is fairly unfamilar to me. Mark Ellis, who was bought from Torquay, is a solid central defender, Max Clayton a young striker off their production line, Pogba signed from Wrexham, though not a regular and Harry Bunn a loan from Man City are ones to watch.

Rovers had their strongest available defensive line-up against Port Vale and let (the useless?) Myrie-Williams score twice against us. I wouldn't be optimistic for a clean sheet here. However, we should have most of the regular midfield in place, assuming Wallace and Robbo are fit. The key questions for Ronnie are who starts alongside JLAA up front and whether Bell-Baggie keeps his place on the right-wing. In respect to the former, while I would prefer Cole Stockton to start, feel Ronnie may opt for McGurk. On balance, think Bell-Baggie will also keep his place.

Prediction: There should be an away support well in excess of 1000. Not always a good thing, as some of our hooligan element likely to put in an appearance.
Rovers do not have a good record at Gresty Road; over a decade since we won. The referee is the same as Scunthorpe away last season, have to hope he has a better game this time. Would like to think we can get something from this, but not confident.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Pogba is out injured they are trying to bring in 2 loan players in from arsenal, i fancy 2 1 win for us.

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
i hope tranmere can continue there unbeaten start to the season with a win at Crewe.i enjoy the attacking football ronnie had adopted and we should go for the win at Crewe to stay top long may it continue.\\:D/

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Could he play BellBaggie more down the middle and bring back Thompson giving better defensive wide cover or does it have to be a recognised striker? Pity no Cassidy, but still think we will win 2-0

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
oh sorry .have i let the cat out the bag so crewe don,t think he,s playing ..

God what a numbty

anyway its a good job robbo and wallace are dropped cause there rubbish..

DIW

Player
Goodison
oh sorry .have i let the cat out the bag so crewe don,t think he,s playing ..

God what a numbty

anyway its a good job robbo and wallace are dropped cause there rubbish..

Ha ha! :lol:

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The last victory I can remember at Crewe was in our Wembley season with Allison, I think, scoring one of the goals. Our performances at Gresty Road have been poor in recent seasons but I fancy us to get at least a point on Saturday.

Regarding the Rovers fans, there was a family atmosphere at Shrewsbury and hopefully it will be the same at Crewe.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The last victory I can remember at Crewe was in our Wembley season with Allison, I think, scoring one of the goals. Our performances at Gresty Road have been poor in recent seasons
You beat me to it, but our record really is poor there. I think it's going to be another one of those games when we concede penalties, players get sent off. Anything that can happen will happen against us.

Failing that, we'll win 2-0 :lol:

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
only been there once in recent years..

we where 4-0 up after 15 minutes ,Alan Mahon was playing,the fans behind the goal where doing the na na na na nana ,na na na na nana na naaa na na na na (think ive got that completely wrong)nana,etc...they where all in a chain up and down the teraces..fianal score was 4-1

also

remember tommy lawrece making a wonder save for us ,the flying pig was on form that night ( honest that was his nickname back then ...how things have changed)

drwhoman

Crewe v Rovers

Tommy L certainly was the 'flying pig'. I remember being at Wrexham around 1970 and saw Wales beat Scotland 5-3. Ron and Wyn Davies were playing for Wales. Oh for some British strikers of their quality these days! I recall one of the goals, a header into the top corner and the ground shook when Tommy hit the ground after trying to get to it! Let us hope for a good result but as most contributors have identified, our record at Gresty Rd is not good.

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
tommy Lawrence was a legend at Liverpool.how many seasons did he play for the rovers does anyone know.he must have been playing when the likes of Eddie Flood John Bramhall and Steve Peplow were in the team good players.

Eddie flood was a hard defender but fair though.he played for liverpool too so did steveie peplow.

Anyway back to the present day lets hope the Rovers can do the buisness at Crewe and get the win.i just thought Jake Cassidy will not be playing with been on international duty .maybe Tranmere could keep him all season herers hoping he could turn out to be the new Ian Muir.

drwhoman

TOMMY LAWRENCE

Tommy joined Rovers in September 1971 and played 94 League and Cup games in the next two and a half seasons before joining non-league Chorley. Eddie Flood played for Rovers between 1972-81 - 350 games! John Bramhall was 1976-82 so he missed Tommy - 193 games for Rovers. Steve Peplow 1973 -80 - 272 games with 47 goals. Players in the first game Tommy played included Ken Beamish, Paul Crossley, Trevor Storton and Ray Matthias.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Tommy Lawrence

Of course Ron Yeats was the player manager in those days and having come to Rovers after the glory years at Liverpool, he brought Tommy Lawrence with him as the pair had a great undrerstanding.

I saw Tommy play some blinders and big Ron was accompanied in central defence by new young local lad who had broken through to the first team called Ronnie Moore. R.M. actually played his first couple of games up front and was converted to central defence, being very quick and an ideal partner and cover for big Ron. We had the makings of a really good team in 72 that played some attractive attacking football but ended up selling Trevor Stornton who was playing up front went to Liverpool, Ken Beamish to Brighton who was a really big loss, then later I think Paul Crossley went who was an exciting speeding winger who could score.

As for Crewe my first away game in I think 66 we won 2.0, and again next visit couple of years later we won. My first trip to Gresty Road since and I feel confident we have a good chance of another win and think we will win 2.1.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We have now sold our full allocation of 1,700, which I think is unprecedented for a run of the mill league game which was not officially made all ticket.

Another 1,100 are on sale from midday at Gresty Road, so it looks like an early start for those of us that are without.........:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.