• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Potential formations

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I was thinking about the current squad, with a lot of strength at the back and in midfield and a lack of options up front, and wondered whether a different system would suit us better this season. We could go 532 with wing backs, roles Zoum and Caprice are made for, but that would limit our ability to get the wingers on the pitch.

Possibly a 4231 would be appropriate:

Davies
Caprice McNulty Ellis Zoum
Banks Norburn
Smiddy Jennings Cole / Tollitt
Norwood

Player
aldo
Play Jennings up front he p!aged there for macc and scored a fair few so she not give him a good to can't hurt playing in your favorite place

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Do you think that Norburn would work deployed so deep? He prefers a pass and move game rather than carrying the ball any length.

Player
Manager
John King
He would not necessarily stay deep in that system. Banks could cover for him when he went forward and vice versa, and both of them have the passing range to dictate the game from deeper positions.

Jennings would be played in the number ten role just behind the strikers, which is actually his best position. He is not an out-and-out number nine.

Player
Manager
John King
For what it is worth, I think Mellon will start with a 442 with Norwood and Mullin up front, Jennings on the left, Smith on the right, Ellis at centre back and Zoum and Caprice at full back.

Player
aldo
Would play Norburn higher up field as he likes to have a go from range . Lots of times last season he was to deep and not effective enough . For Mac he was more up field

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Really don’t want Jennings on the wing again this season. If Cole, Tollit and Smith are all fit and available and we play 4-4-2 then I’d prefer proper wingers altho appreciate Cole isn’t one. CJ did well last year and always puts a shift in but a fit Tollit and smith could be a revelation.

My guess is it’ll come down to whether we have a proper target man. If we do then let’s go with wingers and give him service from our wide. If we don’t get a big man in, then play 5–3-2 , but then where would smith and Tollit fit in?

Decisions decisions