• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup * postponed* Pizza Cup Rovers v Harrogate

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The noises about this game going ahead are encouraging, repairs to the Main Stand will be complete, so a question of whether the safety people are happy.

With the postponement of the game at the weekend, it's a balancing act for Micky between trying to keep the likely starters for the FA Cup and League game which follows fit and giving some of the fringe players some match action. While my inclination would be to stick with Glatzel and Maynard in the starting xi, to help develop their understanding, elsewhere there is scope for resting a few and giving the likes of Merrie, Duffy and Walker some match action.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m still undecided whether to go. May depend on the weather. Interesting it kicks off at 7:45pm with some other pizza games tomorrow night kicking off at 7pm. May combine it with a trip to the club shop for any Xmas gifts.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Boz that Glatzel and Maynard might well start, as they have not played a huge amount of football recently. I think there will be many changes elsewhere, but I am still not convinced that Merrie will be involved. It will be interesting to see whether the likes of Armstrong and Muldoon feature for Harrogate.

There are no under-21 teams left in the Northern half of the draw, and the prize money in this competition is decent, so hopefully we will progress.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I agree with Boz that Glatzel and Maynard might well start, as they have not played a huge amount of football recently. I think there will be many changes elsewhere, but I am still not convinced that Merrie will be involved. It will be interesting to see whether the likes of Armstrong and Muldoon feature for Harrogate.

There are no under-21 teams left in the Northern half of the draw, and the prize money in this competition is decent, so hopefully we will progress.
Another £20k if we get through tonight, important couple of games financially

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Merrie would have probably started the Oldham game if not banned. Don’t know how strong we’ll set up for this, but wouldn’t be surprised to see some of the fringe players start as per my original post.

I’d expect Harrogate to line up strongly, both for the money and chance to win their first trophy in the FL.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Postponed, stand still deemed unsafe.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Reminds me of when games were called off because of the sub standard pitch. Now it’s the roof.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
No scheduled home games until 18th December, barring a cup replay, so plenty of time now to sort it out. I expect they will do a quick fix, although it will probably need a proper repair. With two grandstand roofs needing repair, you wonder what's next.

There's no danger of a fixture pile-up - yet. There are plenty of midweek dates in January in addition to a couple next month. However, what are the chances of another curtailed season and PPG kicking in again? We need to move up the table asap.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it will be dealt with well in advance of any potential cup replay. The issue seems to be that further strong winds today prevented the repair of the Kop roof. I would imagine it was impractical, or too expensive, to get both roofs repaired yesterday.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
No scheduled home games until 18th December, barring a cup replay, so plenty of time now to sort it out. I expect they will do a quick fix, although it will probably need a proper repair. With two grandstand roofs needing repair, you wonder what's next.

There's no danger of a fixture pile-up - yet. There are plenty of midweek dates in January in addition to a couple next month. However, what are the chances of another curtailed season and PPG kicking in again? We need to move up the table asap.
I don't see why the season will be curtailed

Player
aldo
with the weather forecast for the weekend more high winds and loads of rain its not good luck for the club the old girl is defo showing her age

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
with the weather forecast for the weekend more high winds and loads of rain its not good luck for the club the old girl is defo showing her age
Nearly sixty years old, and built with materials, that are prohibited since before the turn of the century, the cost of maintenance has been far too high. Even though a lot of revamping through the stand, it has never had a complete rebuild. Which it needs!

In terms of materials, i wouldnt believe that any other place of work or stadia, would be allowed to conduct business with so much of these materials that were originally used would cost a large sum to be rid of, a whole new roof would be needed and because of other materials placed elsewhere through the stand, it would be easier to sell the whole lot and play anywhere else.
The last time the roof had wind damage, it would have been around the time of kick off for that fixture, but it was moved, cant remember why, but that was where my season ticket was for. It did take weeks to fix and remove the debris. And the seating had to be repaired. When i actually did get my seat back, i was distracted because of the expectancy of more debris coming down. I had to move!
All manner of problems, with toilets, water, bars, food outlets, heatingin rooms, kitchen, disabled lift, et al, are a strain on the club. The most significant problem is flooding, when, as the other week during heavy rain and on the weekend the drainage to stop outside water which was improved a few years back, still cant cope. The kop concourse is often awash, the back of the kop stand was leaking till the close season 18 months ago, but from the lads up there, it has returned.
Even the kop stand is over twenty five years old and the design and height has an effect on the pitch, there are certain areas of the pitch that doesnt get sun on it for the majority of the season.
I could never understand why in the 90's rebuild, the refurbishment and the main stand was really so underdeveloped and why the club just didnt bulldose the whole lot and start from scratch. In the long run it would have been cheaper!

The ground is not viable, everyone who has an interest in the club should know it, and the sooner we move, the better. But we need, as always proper investment, but in the current circumstances surrounding covid. It will be quite a while before we see it!