• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Port Vale v Rovers

Port Vale v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Vale Park
Tuesday, September 8, 2020 - 07:00 PM
Until: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 - 09:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A chance to get some more match practice in before the L2 season starts. While there are financial rewards as a sweetener for progress in this unpopular competition with B sides, more than usual, we need to use it for our own purposes and to be in a stronger position heading to Field Mill next Saturday.

No idea how Mike Jackson will play it, but my inclination would be to rest our best players from Saturday on the basis of avoiding any injuries to them. Clarke and Khan, along with Vaughan, who we can't afford to get injured would be the ones I'd like to see out of the starting line-up. I don't know whether O'Connor is available, thought he was going to miss the Harrogate game tbh and depending on that we'll either see Ridehalgh at left or right back, with Ellis replacing Clarke. Unless Burton is worth a start or we've brought another striker in, Payne may need to operate as a lone striker. Would also give Danny Walker-Rice a start.

Port Vale are one of the promotion favourites, but expect some of their fringe players to get a run-out, so the result will be meaningless and for Rovers we the main thing is to avoid cards and more injuries. I certainly won't be parting with a tenner to watch this on Ifollow!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I actually think we should play a close to full strength team in this game, as there is clearly still a lot of work to be done both in terms of fitness and pattern of play. I would not risk anybody carrying a knock, or perhaps the over thirties, but I would not play a complete fringe team either.

I hate this competition with a passion following the inclusion of the under 21 teams, but I will watch the game, purely to monitor our progress ahead of the trip to Mansfield.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree with RLC. The three priorities are match fitness, familiarity with the formation and building confidence - preferably in time for Saturday. Playing a fringe team would achieve none of these. Mike has yet to achieve a win and he and the team will be increasingly desperate to record their first success.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agreed. Result aside, this is actually a really good opportunity to sharpen up fitness wise and a good chance to experiment with the squad. I would play a pretty strong squad with heavy rotation.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I can see the side of the argument RLC and BBTC put forward. However, we've already lost 2 players from a small squad through injury and while we're playing 3 games a week, rotation is necessary or we may be forced to throw on players with little or no game time out of necessity at Mansfield. I'm unsure Mike Jackson knows exactly what his strongest side is yet and some experimentation may be helpful here.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Need to change it up a bit, can't afford any more injuries before we start the league games.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Davies in goal as had no pre-season. After that should play his best available outfield side as patently they need the game time and need to get their pattern of play sorted.

Player
aldo
we just need a win os some sort we have not had the best pre-season and just need a win to get the monkey of there back . its only early but a win is a win we could do with it just to boost the lads

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Is anyone going to be watching this? Really not sure if I can bring myself to part with a tenner for this nonsense.

Player
aldo
no not interested. but it would be nice to get a result and a few goals and all the players back safe

ADD

Player
Norwood
Is anyone going to be watching this? Really not sure if I can bring myself to part with a tenner for this nonsense.
probably tomorrow morning for free

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A pretty much full strength starting line up, save for Murphy replacing Davies and Vaughan rested (or possibly injured). Looks like we are playing five at the back.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I just hope for no injuries tonight especially with attacking players,

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Also no ray involved not sure if injured or not

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is a stronger line-up than I’d expected and like bigmart fingers crossed we avoid injuries.