• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

PNE v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Difficult game this. Deepdale hasn't been a happy hunting ground for Rovers since Preston dropped to this level and I wouldn't be that hopeful of that changing tomorrow. 3 ex-Rovers in their squad, though only John Welsh is a regular in their starting line-up, though Humey scored coming on from the bench. Buchanan never really nailed down the left-back slot there and although financially he's certainly better off by the move, it hasn't advanced his career.

Haven't heard any news of an incoming right-back, so presumably either/both of Holmes and Hateley are fit. I wouldn't expect Bell-Baggie to get a start away, so either Rowe keeping his place or a rare start for Koumas?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, I think Holmes and Hateley will both play tomorrow. I think we have a very tricky run of games ahead, arguably more difficult than those we played in October. With Wolves and Coventry away to follow in a couple of weeks, it is really vital that we take points from the next two matches to avoid becoming marooned in the bottom four again.

Preston are obviously much improved this season under Grayson, with a wealth of options up front and I would happily take a point from the game. With performances picking up in the last few weeks it will be interesting to see if our away numbers also improve.

Apparently the Rovers players will wear t-shirts in support of Joe Thompson before the game, which is a nice touch.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Recent form gives me some hope. If we play to our strengths and show the character of the last few games, I think we could get a point. A win would be a great result, but not impossible.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
2 0 to them, think they will be in the top 6 this season

Player
Manager
John King
A great performance today and I am just gutted that we did not get the victory we deserved.

In the opening ten minutes we started as brightly as we have done all season and for the first time this year actually played with genuine confidence. However, Preston gradually worked their way into the game and from about fifteen minutes on we were pretty much backs to the wall, with Preston dominating possession. The back four did well and limited them to no more than one or two genuine chances, but as in the first half of several away games recently we sat too deep and gave possession away cheaply at times.

The second half was much better and our goal, a fantastic breakaway featuring Kirby, Power and Atkinson (brilliant finish) was deserved. From about 60 minutes on we played some great stuff and should have scored further goals, with Ryan Lowe in particular having a good chance after being superbly set up by Kirby. Preston were dire after half time, their undeserved equaliser coming from their first effort on target of the half.

My men of the match would be the two centre halves and Jake Kirby, but everyone did well after half time with Baggie in particular having a really good second forty five.

To come away from Preston disappointed not to have won the game shows how much we have progressed in the last month and it is certainly good to see us climb out of the bottom four.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report RLC. I was a bit surprised that Bell-Baggie started after his disappointing show last weekend and did wonder if we'd pack the midfield again. Despite the disappointment of the late equaliser, we are inching away from the bottom four. How did Koumas fare in his outing from the bench?

Player
Manager
John King
Koumas did ok, looked sharper than he has in some previous games. The real revelation for me is Jake Kirby, who seems to get better from week to week. Max Power also seems to be getting back to his best form with the presence of Hateley behind him; in the second half he and Chris Atkinson did very well in breaking from midfield to support Lowe.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am disappointed not to get the three points but not downhearted. We are clearly moving in the right direction. The confidence we lost in the middle of last season seems to be back. It could have gone the other way after losing yet another player to a long-term absence. My belief is that when we next lose, we'll simply bounce back. That didn't happen earlier in 2013.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would have been delighted with a point before the game but with it being so late it feels like a defeat, gutted we couldn't hang on for 3 vital points but at least things are improving and now for the cup.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Agreed a point would have been excellent normally, but equaliser tough to take. Think we need to secure McNulty for a while longer to maintain the gradual improvment.

Koumas was back and you get a feeling others are getting nearer - so bodes well.
In terms of midfield, did we once get a young Barnsley lad on loan or signed - Boland?.......is he a likley first eleven candidate?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Higgy, Mcnulty is here till January. Boland was on the bench on Saturday a young centre half from Barnsley.