• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

PNE / referee 2 Rovers 1

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think there's some merit in what both of you say re Enoch. He seems less mobile and able to link up now, things he was capable of doing to some extent last season. The new system may not work as well for him, even if fully fit. However, he has more efforts on/or off target than the rest of the current line-up, while the only player who seems to shoot on sight,Joss, can't get off the bench.

drwhoman

PRESTON GAME

I have just seen the highlights of the Preston game. The penalty was unbelievable. Mellor should have been booked for a dive! Contact was minimal and yet Mellor went down as if he had been shot! Appalling decision.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agreed, minimal contact, theatrical dive from Mellor. However, Akins seemed to go to ground quite easily for the challenge which resulted in the second yellow sending-off.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Agreed, minimal contact, theatrical dive from Mellor. However, Akins seemed to go to ground quite easily for the challenge which resulted in the second yellow sending-off.
I don't understand how refs can be so easily conned. If you are a strong, fit lad like Mellor, you should only fall when you are given a good shove or if you are tripped when in full flight. Maybe both Mellor and Akins were impeded, but I am sure both could have stayed on their feet. In a way, I don't blame them for falling as how often do refs give a penalty for a challenge if the player does NOT go down?

Wouldn't it be great if football referees explained their decisions? But I can't see it happening.

By the way, in his comments, Les openly criticised the referee. I hope he does not suffer for it, as he's one of the most honest managers around.

drwhoman

MELLOR

I remember when British footballers thought that diving was not for real men. Only shifty continentals and South Americans did that! Not any more! Get an advantage any way you can!

Player
Jimmy Harvey

To be fair it happened right in front of us and Akins got past the defender and the defender had hold of his shirt and dragged Akins down, Akins had no need to go down otherwise as he had gotten into a great position.

Have to say I thought the preston fans were a strange bunch and saw some pretty distasteful things outside the ground including some little scrote spitting in a little girls face because she had a Tranmere shirt on and some lad getting a kicking by some lads who jumped in a car and sped off. The majority of their 'support' to the left of the away end spent most of the game looking at the away end and offering Tranmere fans out.

The performance was good and we should have got something out of the game. The peno was a dive and the second we got carved open. We have to dip into the transfer market for someone who can finish or this season will slip away from us. We dont have one player who looks capable of getting into double figures and at times on saturday we got into good positions but failed to do anything with the ball. I was also disappointed we didnt put them under more pressure when they were down to 10 men, instead we took a striker off and played Goodison up front???????? Couldnt really understand that, there had to be a better option, even bringing Joss on and pushing Baxter alongside Chicken would have been a better option.

All in all I was surprised how gutted I actually was, perhaps because I felt we would get a spanking but in reality we were robbed of a well deserved point.

Oh can anyone explain how Buchanen can give a free kick away for getting kicked in the head AND

Since when can you be offside from a goal kick?:roll:

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
i went to the game too.deepdale is a nice stadium its certainley improved a lot over the years.

a good attendance with the reduced prices maybe tranmere should do it more.
anyway about the match we could talk till the cows come home about referees yes mellor dived to win the penalty but Les did warn his players that mellor goes down like a sack of potatoes.

Tranmere played very nice attractive football and they deserved at least a point or better.

tranmere need to keep working hard to create the chances and surely the goals will come.

just a thought though does anyone think tranmere should employ a striking coach to help the strikers to score the goals i know Baxter scored but Enoch isnt scoring enough.

i do agree with Claire about both sets of fans but that is banter between the fans.it works both ways.there are good and bad everywhere.

:p

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah Bunny Bell your right about the lack of a goalscorer. Yes they are hard to find but Les recognises it coz he keeps harping on about how well we have played recently in some games, but not got much out of them.

I am pleased we got Baxter but he isnt the answer in terms of a front man who will score regularly.

Obviously finances dictate who we can sign and goalscorers are at a premium but to stay around the top half, Enoch either needs to start contributing regularly by scoring or you sign another loannee but a proper frontman, or scour the lower leagues for someone (better than Chicken)....is ITM still out there ?!?!

As for Goodi up front...it rarely works and smacks of desperation !!