• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Play-off Final v Boreham Wood

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
OK, everyone, this is it. It's been a long, difficult season but we are still in with a chance of promotion. I know that some on this forum fear BW more than the other play-off contenders and I understand why. They are well organised with some good players including the front three. They have been the most difficult side we have met over the last three seasons. We have only beaten them twice in six games and they beat us in our most recent match in April. However, this is BW's biggest match ever - by far. Our management and most of our squad have last year's experience and will be determined to do better. The way we played against Ebbsfleet - the performance, energy, skill and spirit - gives me confidence that this will be our year. Hopefully all of the team will be fit, because I would start with the same set-up for the final.

I have said this many times in the past and been proved wrong, but next Saturday I will be confident of seeing us break our 27-year hoodoo. I never gave up hope even when we were down in 19th position and certainly have not now.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
we have to play a hell of a lot better than when we where at there place we cant be as bad again . got one or two things to say but if nobody says it b4 will leave it till after the game ta on sat

Player
aldo
was talking to mr garnet last night . and they did not celebrate yesterday like last year he said that it was a mistake last year and this time they are focused . hope so lets wait and see

drwhoman

We scored some great goals against Ebbsfleet. We will need that sort of inspiration again. Cook and Norwood really have to get amongst their back four. A one on one goal from James? Now that would be something to cheer about!

Player
Jonny Morrisey
So I can now see that the tickets are on sale, do we know what end we have and where the beat place to get a seat will be? I want to be right in amongst it

M

Mal

It prompts you and limits where you can choose . You see a diagram and it tells you which blocks as you work your way through the options, depending on whether you choose £36 or £41. Then there are the add on rip off extras of £4 or more if you want tickets in post. And based on last year, you will be amongst it whichever of the options you choose .

Last edited by a moderator:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Essentially, if you want to be behind the goal (which I assume you do, from your post), buy a £36 ticket. If you want to be at the side, go for the £41 option.

Player
aldo
that,s the fa for ya dont care 4 the fans. they could have the price set at £20 and get more fans in the wood might bring 2000 and we might take 12-15k so with the sponsers and free giveaways might be 20k if it was £20 might be close to 30k . oh well neva mind i cant go eney way so hey ho. gutted

Player
Manager
John King
While we are all a bit nervous about the opposition, we probably won't get a better opportunity to get back in the League than next Saturday. B-Wood are a decent team, but I don't think they are at the same level as FGR last season, plus they will probably be missing a couple of key players. We seem a lot more level headed and professional than we were this time last year, and at the moment I feel relatively relaxed about this game (which could be dangerous).

When you consider how competitive the National League will be next season, the players we will almost certainly lose if we stay down and Micky's questionable record in the transfer market, this feels like a watershed moment for the club. We really have to take this opportunity.

In terms of selection, if Connor is fit, I would start with Jennings and Ginnelly. I know Cole scored the final goal on Saturday, but Connor offers more with his all round game, particularly in his willingness to track back and defend. That said, Cole's goals and assists this season are quite impressive given how few games he has started.

There is an argument for starting Harris in this match, to protect the centre backs from their mobile front players. However, I don't think MM will want to sacrifice the creativity of Norburn and, as Boz pointed out elsewhere, we did not have our first choice defence playing when Wood ran us ragged a few weeks ago. Hopefully Big Mac and Ritchie will be solid.

I won't make a prediction, but surely we will put in a better display than twelve months ago.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, it almost feels like a now or never moment for the club. We have to be strong favourites here and correct me if I’m wrong, but I think this is BW first trip to Wembley so let’s hope they freeze on the day.

I’m sure it’ll be a competitive match but we must cut out the silly mistakes. The two goals we conceded were not great defensively against Ebsfleet. We win this game up top. How do you stop Cook and Norwood who have 50+ between them?

I think they’ll try and mark Cook out of it like on Saturday and this will give players such as Ginnelly, Norwood, Cole etc to the opportunity to punish them.

I’m feeling quite confident but will be a bag of nerves when the whistle blows.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It will not be easy but we have to win this game and I think we will 3 1, cant see the team being changed

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Has anyone ordered tickets yet and if so, are they reserved seats? I’m guessing they are

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It’ll all come down to which teams attacking players turn up on the day. Assuming Buxton is fit, both him and ridehalgh will be tested by the pace and trickery of Balanta and Andrade although the latter went off injured yesterday.

Big Ferrier is a handful but he didn’t feature yesterday and if he is missing along with Andrade then we’ll have an amazing chance.

If they are fit then I’m not too optimistic about our chances. We haven’t done well against them overall and I’ve feared them for a few weeks now.

Think CJ will be on the bench and itll be same starting eleven as Saturday.

Prediction. A close affair too close to call.

Player
Manager
John King
correct me if I’m wrong, but I think this is BW first trip to Wembley so let’s hope they freeze on the day.
I don't think there is any way they will be overawed by the occasion, so we should not be complacent and assume that will be the case. Yes, as a club they have not experienced a game like this before, but plenty of their players have.

Balanta was promoted from the NL at Wembley with Bristol Rovers a few years ago, Scott Doe has played in the play-offs with Dagenham, Champion, Woodards and Stephens all have Football League experience...... It will be tough.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fair point.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
I wonder if Balanta will be fit, he went off with a hamstring injury yesterday. He'll be a loss to them but I'd be delighted if he didn't play!!

drwhoman

Sounds like it will be a tough game. Shows you how much BW must rely on its sugar daddy if it can afford former league players on such small crowds. I am sure many clubs in League Two hope they are not promoted given their low crowd support. On a completely different point I see that Carlile have offered Clint Hill a new contract. He must be closing on 40 now!