• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Pizza Cup Rovers v Oldham

Player
aldo
I think it's time he gets a chance up top 4 goals in 2 games if you include hit two in the senior cup game last week, also the lad at the back has done himself no harm at all

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Much improved second half

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Didn’t make it to the game but surely glatzel deserves another chance now. 2 goals and an assist. Especially as we’re hardly free scoring. It could mean Micky changing his system though and and I can’t see that happening

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A welcome 10 grand more in prize money tonight

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was an interesting game. Glatzel certainly grew in confidence after that first goal and was probably MoM in the second half, while Duffy faded a little after a starring first half. Stratulis showed character after a weak pass led to the Oldham first goal with some good crosses into the box, one leading to a goal, Morris and Foley were steady throughout and there was a good cameo from Ryan Watson on as sub. Maynard perked up after his well-taken goal even winning a challenge on the edge of the Rovers box towards the close. Walker showed a couple of good touches in getting the ball in the box, but didn't exhibit much pace. Whether any of this will affect Micky's plans for the weekend remains to be seen.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
An up and down performance, to put it mildly, but there are plenty of positives to take from the game, not least the performance of Glatzel. He was in the number ten role behind Maynard and produced a display which I will happily admit I did not think he would be capable of this season. I think he will start on Saturday now in place of O'Connor, with Watson dropping back into midfield.

We were actually completely on top for the first fifteen minutes, but responded badly to Oldham's goal and were disjointed for the rest of the half. However, it was a great response after half time, and we have to bear in mind Oldham played an effective first team, while we had a throw-together side.

Individually, I thought both full backs were very poor defensively and we were all over the place at the back at times, with KP also having a strangely poor game. However, Stratulis produced some great deliveries when he got forward, including the assist for the first goal. Maynard was Maynard: he offered very little in general play, but finished brilliantly when the chance came, and must at least be giving Mellon something to think about now. I thought Walker was absolutely awful. Duffy had a decent first half, and Morris a good second half.

Man of the match was Glatzel. His first goal was a classic back post header, showing confidence and aggression, and that moment seemed to set him up for the rest of the game. It was a great cross for Maynard's goal, and a really clever, disguised finish for his second.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
So, having lost to Oldham in the League Cup earlier in the season after being two goals up, we managed to turn the tables. However, Oldham squeeze through as runners-up on head-to-head basis. BTW, only four of the sixteen academy sides remain and all of them are from the southern sections. So, assuming the next round is regionalised, we will be facing league opposition and RLC will be able to attend. ;)

Say what you like about this competition, it has given the fans something to cheer about over the past two seasons. More importantly, in the absence of a reserve team, it has given the fringe players a chance to show Micky what they can do. Hopefully Glatzel will now be a contender for Saturday and Stratulis will have strengthened his case for a contract next June.

drwhoman

I have always thought that Glatzel was a decent footballer particularly when playing just behind the main striker. The issue with many of these young men is whether they can succeed in the rough and tumble of L2. I watched ten minutes of the Liverpool Under 21s this am (in Australia). They lost 5-0 but they have some skillful players. The issue was that they were physically dominated by older and more experienced players. For example, Joe Worrall is around 30 and has played for several clubs. You simply knew what the outcome of most 50/50 challenges was going to be. Is MM willing to change his system and, if so, can Glatzel make the most of the opportunity? Time will tell!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
RLC mentions our defence and I’d agree that it was disjointed. The full-backs suffered by not getting much protection from the player in front of them. Duffy tried at least, though was lacking in pace but Walker didn’t seem to bother tracking back. Think Stratulis doesn’t normally play right-back, so allowances to be made there. Maguire was ok though didn’t get back quickly enough when he was attacking, hence NKP dragged out of position to cover. Davies probably the pick of the defenders though questions could be asked of the central pair for Oldham’s second a free unchallenged header. Murphy had no chance for either goal but was understandably a little rusty.

Overall the defensive frailties made for an interesting game but think were outweighed by the positives elsewhere on the park.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I still think we need to find a way to accomodate Maynard as shown yet again, he knows where the net is.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I still think we need to find a way to accomodate Maynard as shown yet again, he knows where the net is.
Yes, it's a real dilemma. Effectively it means 2 upfront which means having "legs" in midfield.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Just watched the extended highlights and looked like a very good performance absent the 2 goals. Yes Stratulis primarily at fault for the first - pass was very poor but Davies was wrong side of his man as well. Second Davies completely lost his man - looked behind him but not the right way so didn't see him. Looked like Stratulis may have called to him but too late...
Three very good goals however - delighted Stratulis recovered from his error (had his head in his hands after and could have folded after that but did not) and wow he is quick and can cross - Feeney take note how to clear the first man.
Even in 8 minutes of highlights 3 times you could see Glatzel managed to find space in great positions two of which when Morris went for a shot instead - with time these runs will be spotted. Seemed stronger on the ball also - great turn to set up the Maynard goal.
Walker difficult to know how well he did from the highlights.
Yes it was Oldham who are struggling but MM surely needs to find a formation that gets Maynard and Glatzel starting. Also have to hope that Stratulis doesn't disappear - he was after all playing out of position last night...

Player
Manager
John King
RLC mentions our defence and I’d agree that it was disjointed. The full-backs suffered by not getting much protection from the player in front of them. Duffy tried at least, though was lacking in pace but Walker didn’t seem to bother tracking back. Think Stratulis doesn’t normally play right-back, so allowances to be made there. Maguire was ok though didn’t get back quickly enough when he was attacking, hence NKP dragged out of position to cover. Davies probably the pick of the defenders though questions could be asked of the central pair for Oldham’s second a free unchallenged header. Murphy had no chance for either goal but was understandably a little rusty.

Overall the defensive frailties made for an interesting game but think were outweighed by the positives elsewhere on the park.
Neither full back covered the centre halves when we lost possession, albeit that is excusable for Stratulis as he is not really a defender.

Player
Manager
John King
But were those further forward doing enough to protect the defence?
It was more an issue that we turned possession over cheaply in midfield on a number of occasions. However, it is the basic job of a full back to cover the centre half, and the fact Maguire does not do it tells you why he is not in Mellon's plans. NKP was left one-on-one in a foot race on several occasions.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was more an issue that we turned possession over cheaply in midfield on a number of occasions. However, it is the basic job of a full back to cover the centre half, and the fact Maguire does not do it tells you why he is not in Mellon's plans. NKP was left one-on-one in a foot race on several occasions.
I’d agree that Maguire has defensive shortcomings which is why he’s not usually in contention for a first team place. My thought was the team as a whole didn’t defend well and it wasn’t just the full-backs at fault out of the defenders.

If you consider the Oldham goals the first was very much a case of sliding doors, where if one or two players had been in slightly different positions Oldham probably don’t score, fine margins. With the second, the cross shouldn’t have been allowed was a weakness on our left, but then it was poor that neither central defender challenged Dearnley who scores from a free header.

Think we also have to recognise that Oldham have quality out wide with players like Adams. In any event it will be a very different defensive line-up at the weekend, which can hopefully perform like at Crawley rather than the last two league games!