• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Pizza Cup Rovers v Leeds U21

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
As Murphy suffered concussion in Saturdays game is there a minimum time period he will be out for does anybody know ?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
An initial slip by Walker, but poor defending by Maguire for the Leeds goal.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
3-1. Poor defending.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
4-1. Foley second.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Need to get foley up front on Saturday! Think he’s now our top scorer

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
A decent performance by Rovers.

He was up against a naive defence tonight, but Maynard showed that he is the only striker we have who knows where and when to move, and how to finish.

Foley did tonight what Watson should have been doing all season: breaking the lines and getting up in support of the striker. The shape of the midfield was the same as it has been all season, so RW does not have any excuses in that regard. I have been impressed by Foley's attitude and appetite, and he showed a similar attacking intent with his goal at Oldham, and his effort off the post on Saturday.

Elsewhere, I thought Walker was tidy on the ball and Duffy grew into the game and played well. Glatzel had an up and down match: a good assist for the second goal, but too easily brushed off the ball at times and indecisive around the box.

I would start Maynard and Foley on Saturday.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hard to take too much against limited opposition but a decent workout and some goals. Maynard still has an eye for goal with is very good news and as RLC mentions, Foley looked decent too.

I was a little disappointed with Glatzel. I thought he would have really shone through against the youngsters but his overall play wasn't great losing it too many times, making poor decisions and lacking pace when it was needed.

Nevertheless, encouraging signs which I hope we can take into Sat game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Maynard has to now start on Saturday assuming he is fit. He needs match fitness and the goals will be a boost for him so let’s make the most of that Micky and start him on Saturday.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Maynard has to now start on Saturday assuming he is fit. He needs match fitness and the goals will be a boost for him so let’s make the most of that Micky and start him on Saturday.
Maynard is a finisher, give him chances and he will score, now we have to hope we can create more chances on Saturday and going forward.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Playing a 4231 formation, from a Rovers perspective, it was a sound performance and a comfortable win, without seeming to pick up any injuries. Leeds kids didn't seem to have much end product, but they kept going right to the end.

Defensively, we did ok. O'Connor had a steady return and Macdonald a good one. It was telling how Leeds found a lot more space on the left and we conceded down that side after Calum had been replaced. Maguire did one or two good things in an attacking sense, but defensively seemed suspect.

The central midfield paring of Foley and Merrie played solidly, with Foley standing out for his attacking contributions. The three in front were more of a mixed bag. Duffy delivered some quality set pieces, but didn't stand out in normal play. Walker showed a nice turn of pace and set up Maynard's second beautifully, I'd have liked to see him being given a chance more centrally after Maynard went off. Was expecting a bit more from Glatzel against his peers, he saw a lot of the ball but seemed fairly lightweight. Maynard took both his goals well, particularly the first, where Clarke after an excellent run released the ball perhaps a tad late, but Nicky still put it away.

MoM Sam Foley, a couple of well-taken goals and good contribution all over the park. Along with Macdonald and Maynard, he must have pushed himself into contention for a start v Salford.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree about Maguire, and you can see why Mellon does not fancy him. Personally, I thought Duffy's quality in possession did stand out at times.

I still don't think MacDonald looks fully fit, and I am not sure he is ready to start in league games, although I agree he is vital in allowing us to play with a back four.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the reports. Shame about glatzel who if not Impressing tonight must be quite a way from a league start.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree about Maguire, and you can see why Mellon does not fancy him. Personally, I thought Duffy's quality in possession did stand out at times.

I still don't think MacDonald looks fully fit, and I am not sure he is ready to start in league games.
It's a difficult one with Macdonald, as MM said after the Scunthorpe game, the only way he'll get back to match fitness is by playing games. However, if he's only going to last an hour it does tie the manager's hands in terms of having to make a substitution. In a home game, where you hope Rovers would be doing the bulk of the attacking, it might be worth starting him to build up that match fitness.

You may be right about Duffy. He certainly seemed more resilient and wasn't running into dead ends like his debut.

Player
Manager
John King
Interestingly, in both of his two appearances this season Maguire has received an on-pitch boll*cking from one of the centre halves, Clarke at Oldham and NKP tonight, when he played a suicidal pass back into the eighteen yard box to Foley.

Last edited:

ADD

Player
Norwood
Interestingly, in both of his two appearances this season Maguire has received an on-pitch boll*cking from one of the centre halves, Clarke at Oldham and NKP tonight, when he played a suicidal pass back into the eighteen yard box to Foley.
Haha NKP should know it was his terrible pass on Saturday that caused Murphy's injury wasn't it! Maguire sounds really really poor - sounds like he should be shipped out on loan as clearly getting nowhere near a start.
Thanks for the reports - Leeds didn't sound up to much even for U23's but I looked and they have started ok in the U23 League so who knows. In any event was good to get some goals and get MacDonald back also.

Player
aldo
can we send him back, good win yes against kids but a win is a win-now let us take it into the weekend and entertain us, please

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

I still don't think MacDonald looks fully fit, and I am not sure he is ready to start in league games, although I agree he is vital in allowing us to play with a back four.
Begs the question how much input mm had into some of the signings