• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Pizza Cup Rovers v Leeds U21

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While noises have been made about wanting to progress in this tournament, last season's final was followed by a jaded performance at a struggling Grimsby team, where Rovers were only able to take a point. With hindsight, that game felt like a turning point, as Rovers were unable to convert games in hand through our progress in this competition into points on the board. So fairly indifferent as to how we fare this season, though a win's a win regardless.

It will be very interesting to see how Micky lines us up for this game. I don't know anything about Leeds youth, but suspect any side with Bielsa at the helm with be a little more robust than some of the relative lightweight U21s we've met previously. We'll find out on the night.

Unless we play the youth keeper, which is unlikely, Doohan starts. Defensively, we don't have that much cover in central defence, so unless Maguire or O'Connor slot in, then 2 of the 3 regulars start with Clarke most likely to be rested. In central midfield Spearing is likely to be stood down, up front who knows, though given Glatzel is familiar with this kind of opponent, it might be a confidence-booster to start him. so maybe something like this;

Doohan
O'Connor Davies NKP Merrie
Feeney Foley Duffy Hawkes
Glatzel Walker/Dieseruvwe

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
My boycott of the matches against under 21 teams will continue, so I will be watching this on Ifollow. Despite our appearance in the final least year, this remains an abomination of a competition in its current format, and I am not fussed if we exit at the group stage. However, it would be good if some of the fringe players can stake a claim for first team action, given our current struggles.

I am not sure the starting line up will be quite as strong as suggested by Boz. I think youngsters like Jolley and Burton might feature, and I think Micky will be keen to rest the regular centre halves, perhaps playing Maguire or Foley out of position to replace one of them. I doubt Hawkes will start the game, as he is fully in first team contention. However, it will be interesting to get a first glimpse of Walker, Covid permitting and, as suggested, a player like Glatzel could use this competition to regain some confidence.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think he’ll use this game to get some of the fringe players match fit. It also offers the chance to experiment without the risk of losing league points. If fit, I expect Doohan, O’Connor, McDonald, Merrie, Duffy, Maynard and Walker to put their boots on. I don’t think Dieseruvwe, Jolley or Burton will feature as they seem to be out of contention completely at the moment.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Play as many fringe players as possible and see what they give on the night.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Hard to know what a fringe team looks like when we have no idea what the best 11 looks like at this minute. I would like to see the younger players given a full run out and also given a licence to go any play.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Given our recent dire league form in front of goal no doubt this will be a goal fest!!

Hopefully some of the fringe players of late will see this as an opportunity to impress Mickey. I’d like to see Glatzel in a central forward role and not shunted out on the left. I’d also possibly give Maynard some minutes to build up his match fitness and think we need to give Merrie a game either at left back if McDonald/Maguire won’t be ready for a while, or in midfield. Surely this is an opportunity for our veteran players to be rested and as this is pretty much half of the recent current eleven there will be changes. Doohan will get a start and possible the likes of Mani D, loanee Walker if fit, Duffy to get some more match fitness, Foley and perhaps O’Connor if available.

Can’t really predict the score as no idea what team Leeds will field but a few goals would be nice to increase confidence in this area ahead of big spending Salford visiting PP on Saturday.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
No idea what team we will put out and no interest in the competition as such, but a goal wouldn't go amiss

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We're quite short of options at central defence, O'Connor and Maguire possibly, but I don't think Sam Foley has played much (if ever) there, so unless there's a youth team player to draft in, then at least one of the regulars will be needed tomorrow.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I assume that Nevitt, Spearing and Clarke will definitely be rested and maybe Cogley given how much he expends in every game. After that I guess it depends on how MM views the game - does he care? but also does he want to persist with 3-5-2 or will he switch to 442.
I would like to see Maguire play if MacDonald still isn't fit - surely he can't be as bad as it would appear MM thinks he is?!
Merrie will surely start and I expect Mani will also although I would like to see Burton and Jolley get a run out. Walker will surely also start. Wonder if as RLC suggests he will rest all his CB's and give Hayde a start. Also would like to see Stratulis who didn't start for the U18's mid week but played 30 minutes. I read elsewhere he is thought potentially to be the best we have had in a while.
A win would be nice with let's hope a couple of goals!

ADD

Player
Norwood
ps tickets are £5 but IFollow is £10... no thanks!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
O'Connor, MacDonald, Merrie, Walker, Glatzel and Maynard all start, Clarke and NKP at the centre of what looks like a back four. The youngsters are nowhere in sight, which surely means they will be shipped out on loan soon.

Hopefully Maynard will get on the scoresheet tonight.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We might get a few goals tonight. Let's hope so!

ADD

Player
Norwood
Surprised by such a strong line up - definitely expected more to be rested. 442 sounds like great news...

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Really not interested in this cup.
If dirty Leeds u21s are using the same tactics as their first team, I would think, that any result bar a loss, would be good!
Just hoping we don't get smashed!

0-2!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The Leeds team is quite a young one. I think we will win 3-0.