• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Peterborough v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
An interesting game if not necessarily for the right reasons. Our hosts are in poor form, having lost a string of games most recently a cup tie at home to non-league Kidderminster. They have however beaten us 5-0 twice. The pre-match remarks from the manager don't suggest there will be much of a change from the Walsall game. I would have hoped that he'd have become more conscious of the pitfalls of an older unfit midfield after that game. Both Robinson and Koumas in the starting line-up again does not seem like a good idea. Robinson isn't fit enough to do the running required at left midfield, so either play him in the hole to link up with Lowe or use as an impact player from the bench. If Robinson plays then Max Power for Koumas in central midfield would be my preference.

I can't see many SWA travelling to this one given the £26 entry fee and hope that those who do venture to the match will get good value from Rovers for their money.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Despite their poor form I cant see anything other than a defeat for us. Kirby has to start ahead of Robinson and we need to have a go at them as they are leaking goals but I don't hold out much hope

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I can't make it because of a family do. But to be honest, after witnessing the Cup debacle, I'm quite relieved. I am pretty confident we can avoid another 5-0, but I believe Posh will start playing better again soon and I fear it will be this weekend. I think we'll keep it down to 0-2.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Kirby will start ahead of Robinson and this is the only change I would make from the Walsall game. Although Peterborough are favourites, I don't think the 5-0 defeats will have much bearing on this game. There have been significant changes in our back four since the cup game and Posh will be missing two of their best players (Tomlin and Rowe).

The key will be the ability of Pennington and Arthuworrey to cope with their forepower up front: in the previous games, Foster and Edwards were found to be out of their depth and we will certainly need a strong showing from the two centre halves.

The £26 admission price for a fixture between teams 7th and 20th in League One is a complete p***take. Like a fool, I will still be attending though.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think well get beat but only by a goal or two. I have fears about Pennington. I know hes only young but if they put pressure on the left side he'll struggle. I dont think his tackling is great.

Player
Liam Palmer
My mate is going to see Rovers at Peterborough for the NINTH time. He's never seen us win. 'Nuff said.

I'd be happy if we escaped relatively unscathed ie no-one sent off, no injuries, maybe even score a goal in a 2-1 defeat.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Peterborough must love playing us. They had lost their last 5 including Kidderminster at home and lost 9 in their last 11.

Along come rovers and they end their poor run. Sounds like after the pen there wasn't much between the sides in the first half but let's face facts, posh are a million miles from us so despite their run, not a great surprise to lose.

No Robbo in the squad either. Crewe game next week now a 6 pointer. We lose that and Moore has to go imo

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Conceded 13 and scored 0 against them. That's really poor.. It's going to be a dogfight.

Player
Manager
John King
It was a decent performance today: the scoreline is very harsh and does not really give a true reflection of the game. We had good possession for long periods and, in the second half, several decent chances when the match was still finely-balanced. We were also extremely unlucky: the penalty was a ludicrous decision by a homer referee and early in the second half Kennedy smashed against the post with the score at one-nil. The rebound fell straight to their keeper with Lowe standing two yards away and had it not been for that poor fortune I think we would definitely have taken something from the game.

Despite the scoreline the back four did well (with the exception of Horwood when he came on). In general play we were pretty solid throughout, with their second goal coming from a corner, the third a breakaway when Horwood pathetically lost possession on the halfway line when we had pushed up for a set play. Arthurworrey and Pennington looked pretty decent again, particularly the former; Koumas had a very good game, but man of the match was Kennedy, who was excellent. In our best spell of the game early in the second half he was particularly influential, and we were unlucky not to level in that period.

Of the rest, James Rowe showed some nice footwork at times, but seriously needs to bulk up as he is knocked off the ball too easily. Our midfield in general was not helped by Peterborough's disgraceful pitch, which made it impossible to pass the ball ten yards in certain areas. Robbo's absence from the bench suggests his career may be coming to an end, but thankfully Kirby did well again as his replacement. Horwood is not fit to wear the shirt.

Peterborough did not get anywhere near the level of their previous performances against us - largely due to our improved performance - but were very ruthless when they did get opportunities: Assombolonga is way above League One level.

I am gutted by the result today, but not the performance and at least the other scorelines were not too bad for us. However, we must, must, must beat Crewe next week.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Your report is more positive than much else I've read about the game, RLC. How did Kirby/Kennedy line up?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Ive been saying for a long time now that Ronnie should go but unless the takeover goes through he will remain in charge and I fear take us down. I hope he goes 4-4-2 next Saturday has a good go at them from the start as we simply have to win

Player
Manager
John King
Your report is more positive than much else I've read about the game, RLC.

Really ? The few comments I have read on other Rovers boards from those that actually attended the game largely echo my own thoughts. Similarly, Darren Ferguson has admitted the scoreline flattered Peterborough and had we scored during their edgy spell at the start of the second half the game may have panned out differently.

Kirby and Kennedy played left and right midfield respectively in a 4-5-1. I think we will go 4-4-2 next Saturday with Stockton and Lowe up front.

Whatever our opinions of Ronnie, Mart is right about the ownership situation. So the numpties on other sites that are planning protests against the board / manager at the Crewe game might be better advised to direct their energies towards supporting the team in a crucial game.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
An extract from a Peterborough forum:

I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's game, and -- win or lose -- I haven't felt that very often this season. It seemed as if both teams came prepared to play rather than look to use the heavy surface as an alibi. Within their limitations, Tranmere gave a good account of themselves, and made three very good openings (the shot against the post, the header wide shortly after, and Day's smart save late on); on several occasions this season, we haven't carved out that many good chances in a game. I thought the officials handled the game well (although a soft penalty was cancelled out by a harsh disallowing of Brisley's header). Given the circumstances, it was a good advert for League One football.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Another quote from the Posh forum

I don't think everyone should be getting too excited about a workmanlike victory over what was a shocking tranmere side.

My initial comment was based on having a look on the other Tranmere forums and a couple of ones where Posh fans post, it wasn't intended to provoke a reaction. My usual match source had baulked at paying £26 for what he correctly thought would be another defeat, so I can only go on what's written and brief highlights of the game.

Kennedy, unlike Peterson, presumably prefers playing on the right. If some are to be believed, Cassidy will have arrived on loan by next week and would be alongside Lowe in a 442. I'm unable to make the Crewe game, but don't think there's any merit in protests at that against either manager or board. There needs to be a positive atmosphere in that game and management can play their part with a more positive approach on the pitch; if our defence is as bad as Ronnie's post-match remarks suggest, the best form of defence is attack.

Player
Manager
John King
Another quote from the Posh forum

I don't think everyone should be getting too excited about a workmanlike victory over what was a shocking tranmere side.

In fairness though, the comment about Rovers is c**p. The Peterborough forums have their share of unenlightened posters, just as ours do (my fault, I suppose, for quoting one of their saner contributors).

Although I have taken a definite stance in the 'Ronnie out' debate, I do try to be reasonably objective about our performances. When we are rubbish, I say so (cf. my comments on Notts County away, Wolves away, Posh away in the cup, the second half at Carlisle......).

I agree we need a positive approach against Crewe, probably one of our most important games in recent years.

Player
Liam Palmer
I know this is a post about yesterday's game and not about next Saturday's match against Crewe, but I was at the Crewe v Posh game yesterday and Crewe were very unlucky not to draw. It took two excellent pieces of poaching/finishing from Chris Dagnall (!) to rescue it for the O's. We'll have a tough fight on our hands next Saturday. I just hope everyone gets behind the team (even although I think time is running out for Ronnie).