• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Palmer, Cass & others

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
With the Palmer deal sewn up until the end of the season, rumours abound that Cassidy may actually go to Leicester in a permanent deal this month.

It seems that we are in competition with Preston to bring Jamie Vardy on loan from Leicester (ironically), with Preston the favourites to secure his signature.

It will be interesting to see what transpires......

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If the Vardy rumour is true lets hope he fancies being in a promotion push rather than mid table.

I would dobut that Cassidy will go to Leicester.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well, Cassidy has certainly put himself in the shop window. Sadly, I don't think we'll see him again, but I think it's important we get a decent replacement in. Realistically, you need someone that has the same impact in terms of goals. We certainly don't want goals drying up at this stage.

Delighted Palmer is staying on.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Wolves won't sell Cass

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Wolves won't sell Cass

Agreed, or certainly not in this window....maybe in the summer, and certainly not to a league rival! Granted he will probably stay at wolves, as they re screwed at the moment,but they wont sell him...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I wonder what the plan is for him? Out on loan again, or are they going to give him a few games see how he gets on.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mccrhystal has been released and signed for bristol rovers.

Player
Manager
John King
Despite my original post, I still think there is a good chance Cassidy will come back to us. Whether Solbakken stays as manager or not, I can't see a struggling side with massive supporter expectation pinning their hopes on a teenage player who has not even appeared at Championship level yet.

I suppose there is always the possibility they will keep him and use him to warm the bench, which would be terrible for both Jake and us.

McChrystal's departure was to be expected as he is not good enough to get in our team now and was never rated by Ronnie. I wish him well at Bristol however.

Marvin Morgan at Shrewsbury is the latest striker to be linked with us incidentally.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Talking of players not good enough ,maybe we can move thompson on as well !

behing bagie ,and mgurk in the pecking order and we payed good money for him.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
he's one of only two left backs in the squad

i'm not sure about thompson but actively trying to offload him after 6 months would be very weird thing to do

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
get rid of black ,so who going to cover for zoom if he gets injures suspended etc...Goodison ?

Player
Goodison
Thompson seems to have discovered a bit of pace since he's come back from injury, it would be daft to start offloading players in January - better to keep a stable group and add one or two players then start making massive changes. It's also Thompson's first move as a footballer and I suspect off the field issues such as his first child been born may have affected his settling in at the start of the season, for me it's too early to write him off.

I think we need to bring in two centre backs (hopefully Daniels till the end of the season and maybe someone on a 6 month contract), a forward and possibly an additional winger for when Robinson inevitably gets injured - for me McGurk's best role seems to be playing behind the striker.

Player
Goodison
I don't understand why we don't offer new contracts to Zoom, Fon Williams and Wallace, as it's clear they are quality players and will increase any potential value of a transfer.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Last thing we want is unsettled players. I'd agree with trying to tie up contracts, but players might be waiting to see how the season pans out. If we go up, we'll have much more weight keeping players and signing new ones.

Regarding Black and Thomson, Black has hardly played, give him a chance. Thomson has potential but it's difficult breaking into a team that it performing so well.

Player
Manager
John King
People forget that Thompson actually played in as many games in our 12 game unbeaten run as Bell Baggie. I think his performances were better in that spell than people give him credit for and he definitely has talent.

Black was perfectly solid in the couple of games he played and linked up well with Zoum. He is as good a number 2 left back as we are likely to get and is rated by Ronnie.

At this stage in the season, with an already thin squad, we should not be looking to offload anybody.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm never an enthusiast of becoming dependent on too many loan players, but that's what we're going to be stuck with. It would be great if Cassidy did come back, Palmer has and Gibson likely to if he gets over the injury. Daniels is getting better, but hasn't lived up to initial star in the making billing.

Don't see any point in loaning out Thompson, who's shown flashes of brilliance or Black, who has sadly lived up to his sick-note reputation. I'm a bit surprised McChrystal has been released, as we could end up being dependent on Michael Kay as a central defensive cover.

Player
Manager
John King
While being dependent on loanees is not a perfect situation, with our resources we face a choice between occupying our current position with a few loanees in the team, or having a squad of 22 of our own - and being in 15th place. Ronnie has actually performed a minor miracle in striking a balance between loans, quality players under permanent contract and youth.

Regarding McChrystal, he was decent early on under Les, but his form at the tail end of last season was poor and in pre-season was atrocious. Given that we are likely to be able to keep both Daniels and Gibson and still have Goody in the background, I think it was a good decision to move him on. He will alsohave been on decent wages so his departure frees up a bit of money.