• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Oxford v Rovers

Oxford v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Kassam Stadium
Saturday, September 14, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 14, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
So if I am understanding this thread correctly we generally believe that we have a bottom 6 budget now rather than the top 1/3 budget which MP was saying previously he hoped to have every season irrespective of which division. Appreciate we cannot match Sunderland, Ipswich etc. but if we are that low budget wise we have a long hard season ahead and what worries me more than anything is that the extra fans who have started coming regularly over the past 2 seasons will melt away pretty quickly if this form continues...
I doubt Palios ever said we would have a top third budget in League One if we were promoted from the National League in successive seasons. It was an aspiration rather than an explicit promise. Achieving back to back promotions is obviously exceptional and we are some way behind the majority of teams at this level financially, let alone Sunderland or Ipswich. In that sense Mellon is a victim of his own success, as we have progressed well ahead of schedule.

If supporters can't put up with a tough season after two or three years of continuous success, I would suggest that is their problem rather than the club's. But I don't agree with you anyway. I think attendances will hold up pretty well this season.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Mark P clearly mentioned on a number of occasions that we would have a competitive top 6 budget in each division up until the Championship over a 5-year period which is what ADD was correctly pointing out. Because our return to life in League 1 has proved to be painful, fans presume that our budget is not competitive. Of course we are relatively uncompetitive against the very largest clubs in the division (Sunderland, Portsmouth and Ipswich etc.) but our budget probably compares favourably with many others. So this team and its manager are clearly underperforming.
Fans have bought into the utter misconception that "we have been promoted a year too early". Where I think Mark and many fans are mistaken is that a 3-year or 5-year plan will automatically deliver footballing success on a linear basis. This is plainly untrue. A sustainable business model will deliver a sustainable future as a business but is no guarantee for winning trophies. Our success in recent years is as much a case of 'mean reversion', the mean being our longstanding presence in League 1 or its equivalent in past years.
Clearly, there is a case to be made for upgrading our existing player resources but supporters of nearly every club in the land would say the same. Since the start of this season, in his interviews, Micky has clearly alluded to the fact that the new additions do represent an upgrade on our previous squad. So, ultimately, he is responsible for getting the best out of those resources. It is therefore not unreasonable to suggest that after x number of games, if no progress is made, supporters will be asking the question as to whether our manager is the right manager to manage those resources. And they will be right to do so.

Player
Manager
John King
Mark P clearly mentioned on a number of occasions that we would have a competitive top 6 budget in each division up until the Championship over a 5-year period which is what ADD was correctly pointing out.
He did not say that. He said that it was an aspiration to have a top third budget, but those comments obviously did not take account of the exceptional circumstance of back-to-back promotions.

Player
Manager
John King
Because our return to life in League 1 has proved to be painful, fans presume that our budget is not competitive. Of course we are relatively uncompetitive against the very largest clubs in the division (Sunderland, Portsmouth and Ipswich etc.) but our budget probably compares favourably with many others. So this team and its manager are clearly underperforming.
No they are not. If you want to make claims like that, you have to cite the wage budgets of those sides that are lower than ours.

There is only one that I know of. Accrington have a budget of circa £1.6 million, which is lower than our own, which is in the region of £2-£2.5 million. Of the other clubs, I would say only Wimbledon, Rochdale and perhaps Wycombe have similar resources to us.

The average wage budget at this level is over £4 million, which is considerably bigger than ours.

Player
Manager
John King
Our success in recent years is as much a case of 'mean reversion', the mean being our longstanding presence in League 1 or its equivalent in past years.

So you think our success since Palios took over is inevitable, a 'reversion to type', rather than the result of his efforts off the pitch and Mellon's on it ?

There was nothing inevitable about our return to the Football League. The club was in a mess financially in 2014, with a lack of ambition on the pitch and investment off it, and it has been a Herculean effort by the owners to turn that round.

Player
Manager
John King
It is therefore not unreasonable to suggest that after x number of games, if no progress is made, supporters will be asking the question as to whether our manager is the right manager to manage those resources. And they will be right to do so.
Mellon's task this season is to keep us in the division, and his performance will be judged after forty six games, not seven. It is unreasonable and unhelpful to be putting him under pressure at this stage of the season. Even if we went down, I would still potentially want him to stay because he is such a good fit for the club (as happened with Dyche at Burnley after relegation, among others).

Fortunately our Chairman has more sense than to respond to the knee-jerk reactions of some supporters.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
So you think our success since Palios took over is inevitable, a 'reversion to type', rather than the result of his efforts off the pitch and Mellon's on it ?

There was nothing inevitable about our return to the Football League. The club was in a mess financially in 2014, with a lack of ambition on the pitch and investment off it, and it has been a Herculean effort by the owners to turn that round.

In previous posts, I have been outspoken in my praise and thanks for Mr and Mrs P.

tyke

Player
Geenacre
He did not say that. He said that it was an aspiration to have a top third budget, but those comments obviously did not take account of the exceptional circumstance of back-to-back promotions.

Only occasional poster here but just to agree and add that through a combination of circumstances, Mellon has lost the spine of his team from last year--- Norwood, McCullough (much underrated and missed as defensive screen) and Ellis. That combination produced a team which did well to make it into the playoffs and very well to win them. Even with a bigger budget, instantly upgrading and replacing them in three months is a big ask. The name of the game is to survive and create a more stable base from which to prosper. It may not be pretty but team morale, giving 110% and grinding out results is going to be the way. If Mellon's post-match comments are a little bit less than expansive, fine.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Only occasional poster here but just to agree and add that through a combination of circumstances, Mellon has lost the spine of his team from last year--- Norwood, McCullough (much underrated and missed as defensive screen) and Ellis. That combination produced a team which did well to make it into the playoffs and very well to win them. Even with a bigger budget, instantly upgrading and replacing them in three months is a big ask. The name of the game is to survive and create a more stable base from which to prosper. It may not be pretty but team morale, giving 110% and grinding out results is going to be the way. If Mellon's post-match comments are a little bit less than expansive, fine.

You make a very point, Tyke, in suggesting that the spine of the team has been ripped out and, yes, it was a big ask to have replaced those players in 3 months. But I can't help but feel that our approach to recruitment over the summer smacks of a scatter-gun approach - at least it feels that way.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We are still paying the price financially for 3 seasons in the national league where the losses mounted up and we are trying to play catch up financially to a number of teams of similar or even smaller size, if we can stay up and with the external investment I think we can improve over the coming years although it will be difficult.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with Tyke that we are missing a McCullough type defensive midfielder to screen the defence and bringing someone of that ilk until Luke regains fitness would have been a good move in my view. Arguably needed more than a Maddox or Ponticelli, though both of that pair may come good.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
I thought that we started brightly on Saturday, however it was so evident to see that Oxford had identified that we were very weak on the left side of our team. Rides had a torrid game and was constantly shown how out of his depth he is at this level, however he had zero support from our midfield and forward players. Once Oxford had worked that out they looked to play long diagonals from their left to right which we did not react to. Their number 11 (Fosu?) was the best player on the pitch, and their defence looked very comfortable aside from a couple of times RHM nearly got on to the end of long punts upfield.

I do worry that we are still looking to play long balls up to Payne's head. Even if he is able to win it, there were no players running on to anticipate that which meant we just surrendered possession time and time again.

it was another game which our lack of discipline was again apparent. Yes, the officials were poor but we cannot keep giving away mindless fouls in dangerous areas and not expect to be punished. The first penalty was very soft but it was a penalty, and the second looked like a tired tackle.

As the game wore on Oxford grew in confidence and the end result was probably a fair reflection. I don't think it is necessary down to single individuals but it is clear that we are in for a very tough season and IF we do manage to stay up, that will be as impressive (if not more) than the promotions that we achieved in the last 2 years.

At least we have a nice easy home game up next. Oh wait............

Player
Manager
John King
In fairness, I thought Mullin did track back a lot to try and protect Ridehalgh but that completely neutered his attacking threat. We need a left back that is capable of defending one v one. With regard to discipline, I think a lot of the fouls we give away are simply the result of the opposition being too skilful for us, rather than recklessness.