• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Oxford v Rovers

Oxford v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Kassam Stadium
Saturday, September 14, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 14, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Rovers travel to Oxfordshire on Saturday to face their next opponents Oxford Utd at the Kassam Stadium. Both teams are struggling with just five points from their first dozen games although Micky will be upbeat having seen Rovers come from two goals behind to earn a well deserved draw against Gillingham. Rovers are a few places ahead on GD having scored and conceded ten goals and although Oxford have scored the same amount as Rovers they have shipped fifteen goals already most notable conceding three against Bristol Rovers and Coventry and most recently four against Burton.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It seems only yesterday that I saw Jason Koumas curl in the second equaliser in the cup at the Kassam in the season we went down. I'm upbeat about this one, but unfortunately I can't go as I'm away. Despite the loss of Nors, we are still scoring goals, but don't seem to have a settled defence. I hope we can shore up the defence and build on the spirited comeback last week.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Although Oxford have had poor results this season a lot of their performances have apparently been good, particularly against the bigger sides. They have got plenty of talent in their squad, with players like Matty Taylor, Ben Woodburn, James Henry and Jamie Mackie and I don't think this will be an easy game. A draw would probably be a good result.

In terms of our own selection, it will be interesting to see whether Micky reverts to the 352 formation that was successful at Rotherham or sticks with the 4312 from the second half last week. Either way, I am sure he will want to play a front two while still preserving a three-man midfield.

Individually, Hepburn-Murphy has impressed with a couple of good substitute appearances and is pushing for a start, but the front two of Mullin and Payne are forming a relationship and will surely be selected. CBT is available again after his suspension and players like Borthwick-Jackson and Maddox are yet to be used, but it would not surprise me if we fielded the team that finished the game last Saturday.

Prediction: we have already sold around 400 tickets, so I think 6-700 SWA will travel and see Rovers take something from the game.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It seemed like Oxford would be an outside bet for the play-offs, with some good recruitment, including the loan of Ben Woodburn from Red Scouse, but their start has been disappointing and just hoping it doesn't all click against Rovers.

Difficult decisions on team selection and tactics for Micky. I wasn't totally convinced by Woods, but he is a natural full-back, so if fit he starts. While I recognise Banks' role in our fight-back against Gillingham, my feeling is he's too much of a luxury and fails to contribute defensively in away games, so wouldn't start with him. Agree with 2 up front, probably in a 4312 formation.

Player
Manager
John King
Interesting comments from Mellon in his interview about Mullin, basically echoing what I said last week. The staff believe he has the natural attributes but were disappointed in the intensity and consistency in his game, which is now improving. They challenged him to get better (the competition from Payne, Ferrier and RHM will have helped in that regard) and he is now becoming an important player.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Johnny Morrissey
Interesting comments from Mellon in his interview about Mullin, basically echoing what I said last week. The staff believe he has the natural attributes but were disappointed in the intensity and consistency in his game, which is now improving. They challenged him to get better (the competition from Payne, Ferrier and RHM will have helped in that regard) and he is now becoming an important player.

Micky's only playing him now because his hand has been forced due to injuries.
In my opinion, Mullin had the same intensity and consistency to his game last season in his few cameo appearances, scoring a few crackers in the process.
And he was realistic enough to say in an interview towards the end of last season that he couldn't get into the side because Norwood was playing so well.
Don't get me wrong, I think Micky is a fabulous manager but his obduracy is his achilles heel.
But at least, as fans, we all finally agree that Mullin is potentially a very good player. And I'm sure that we also agree that he has to now deliver on the pitch week in week out.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If he plays like he did on Saturday he will have no problem getting into the side and scoring goals. I'm still not convinced he has the consistency though. I guess time will tell.

Player
Manager
John King
I still maintain that Mullin was average in the eight games he started last season, as opposed to his sub appearances, and they did not give Mellon sufficient basis to make him the automatic replacement for Norwood. That was what my argument was really about, rather than whether Mullin has any ability, which he does.

Mellon's alleged 'stubbornness' is the reason he is a successful manager, not an impediment. He demands high standards of the players who work under him, whether it is Andy Cook or Adam Dawson.

Last edited:

ADD

Player
Norwood
I still maintain that Mullin was average in the eight games he started last season, as opposed to his sub appearances, and they did not give Mellon sufficient basis to make him the automatic replacement for Norwood. That was what my argument was really about, rather than whether Mullin has any ability, which he does.

Mellon's alleged 'stubbornness' is the reason he is a successful manager, not an impediment. He demands high standards of the players who work under him, whether it is Andy Cook or Adam Dawson.
Agree with RLC. Mullin last season did well as a supersub but was poor on the few occasions he started. I still expect Payne and Ferrier to be first choice if all fit but if he can stay ahead of Payne in the pecking order when Ferrier returns from injury then fair play to him as if he does he will be playing consistently well.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I forecast a win and a draw from today's and last week's games, so to stick by my prediction I must go for a win today. Let's say 2-0 or 2-1.

Player
Manager
John King
Interesting line up. Ray dropped to the bench and Woods and Hepburn Murphy start. Possibly 433 ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I certainly wouldn't have predicted that line-up and it looks like a 433 as RLC suggests. Bit surprised Ray dropped at this point, but think the right decision not to start with Banks, who is too much of a luxury in away games.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I certainly wouldn't have predicted that line-up and it looks like a 433 as RLC suggests. Bit surprised Ray dropped at this point, but think the right decision not to start with Banks, who is too much of a luxury in away games.
Exactly as I had expected Boz :)
In all seriousness i think with our injuries and CBT suspension that is possibly our strongest starting eleven- not sure about Borthwick Jackson as not played yet. Ray has not been as solid as I expected he would be and Sid deserves a start in his correct position.
One question where the hell is Maddox - supposed to be a good player and should surely be fit by now - not even on the bench????

Player
Manager
John King
In fairness, it is quite a strong bench including Banks, Morris and Gilmour, so no guarantee Maddox would get on there.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good changes. Ray looks shaky at the back. Woods looked good, bit of pace with hm. Come on whites!