• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

our squad so far

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think weve made some good signings so far and have the makings of a good squad, it looks like Wallace will be out for sometime yet but from Ronnies comments Koumas could be playing soon, it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

The lack of cover in defense is a big worry for me especially if the rumours of Ash being sold are true, we currently have no cover for either fullbacks and only Goody to cover centre half. Hopefully we can get in a decent loan player or two especially as I think Holmes needs competition to push him on.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm unsure how much credence can be given to talk of selling Ash, given we don't seem to have trialled many in central defence. The lack of cover for full-backs is a concern and a bit of a puzzle given we apparently had a couple of lads that looked the part at right-back during the early games.

Elsewhere, without Wallace and Koumas, the central midfield trio of Atkinson/Power/Rowe provide some option, although if Wallace's injury is going to extend well into the new season another loan maybe. We're reasonably catered for in the striking department. After defence, I'd say another wide player is a priority.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm getting concerned about Wallace.. I think he's going to be out for a few months.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I doubt Ash is going anywhere and I am not concerned about the lack of cover at full back. I'd rather we just covered those positions with emergency loans than have a player of the standard of Kay / Black sitting on the bench all season, which we can't really afford. It was interesting to read in the programme the other night that Ronnie still hopes to get Gibson back, but Boro are undecided at the moment whether he will be part of their first team plans.

The club have said that when Wallace has the staple removed from his knee next week he will be out for about another month, but I suppose that all depends whether there are any further complications.... Either way, the treatment he has had from BUPA seems crap, with his ligament problem going undiagnosed for months and his first operation proving ineffective.

Looking at our progress generally, it was encouraging that the Burnley staff and supporters commented that we gave them a far greater test and looked a stronger outfit than Carlisle did in their previous game, which suggests that we will be competitive in League One again this season.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would be very surprised if Gibson comes back as hes been involved a lot in the pre-season games so far so I think he will be in there squad.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I doubt Ash is going anywhere and I am not concerned about the lack of cover at full back. I'd rather we just covered those positions with emergency loans than have a player of the standard of Kay / Black sitting on the bench all season, which we can't really afford.
I agree. Ronnie has also said as much. I think the strategy was to get numbers up front and worry about defensive cover if and when we need it. It would be great to get Gibson back though..

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's not a strategy I feel entirely comfortable with. Unless we strike lucky with another Gibson, it's harder for a defender to come in as an emergency loan and instantly form an understanding with defensive partners. I would prefer to have another defensive cover player on the books and there must still be funds, like the money we didn't use for Jeffers, available for this.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
it's harder for a defender to come in as an emergency loan and instantly form an understanding with defensive partners
I actually think it's easier. Much easier than it is for a striker. Not so much in terms of forming a partnership but getting the quality in. We've had mediocre loan defenders before that have 'done the job'. The problems we usually have are scoring goals, not leaking them.

Player
Manager
John King
I would prefer to have another defensive cover player on the books and there must still be funds, like the money we didn't use for Jeffers, available for this.

I see your point, but the full backs that I have seen in pre-season were not good enough and apparently there is not a great deal of quality out there. With our severely limited resources, RM probably takes the view that there is no point simply spending money for the sake of it. We also have to bear in mind that whatever we spend now will not be available later in the season if we do suffer anothe injury crisis in the key areas (striker, centre midfield).

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
I think the squad is getting there, we have to trust Ronnie, just worrying that Wallace will be out for even longer now,
If we can keep injury and suspension free then we should be ok, but what are the chances of that!

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Koumas signs a one year contract with SWA.....could be a key signing for the club this season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Will be interesting to see what he can do when he's fit. Scored some cracking goals for us..

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Will take him a couple of games to get match fit but fingers crossed he can do well for us again.

Player
Manager
John King
I am delighted he has signed, as although I have got John Morrisey's name alongside (a reminder of the halcyon days) Koumas is probably my favourite Rovers player of all time, certainly the most talented home-produced player I have season.

I doubt his wages are astronomical and I think it is definitely worth the gamble in taking him on.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree with Ronnie when he say he's probably the most talented in the division. My only concern is the length of time he's been out, but I don't think we've much too lose. @Rockfords Love Child I don't think his demands would be that high, think he just wants to play again.

Speaking of goals, here's some cracking ones. Remember them like they were yesterday! :)