• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Orient v rovers

Match result

• Leyton Orient

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Orient v rovers
Posted by Ian
Breyer Group Stadium
Saturday, May 7, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, May 7, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
ian goodison
nobody wants to see people sacked but I worry no matter who we sign has mellon got the tactical nous to change/try things any differently next season? I worry whether he,s too set in his ways.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think Mellon is the problem @keep the faith
He has proven time and time again he can cut it at this level with numerous promotions on his record.

We just need a bit more quality and players with better mental strength.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
But doesn’t mental strength improve with appropriate guidance/mentoring and support mechanisms in place.
In other industries, mental strength is galvanised by good leaders, clarity of purpose/mission statement, by appropriate training, working to your strengths, feeling valued and by a proactive HR team. It’s hard to say if it is down to mental strength or down to not being quite good enough on occasions, flawed holistic directives (game plans), poor decision making at key moments (officials, players and managers all qualify) or just plain old bad luck.
There is a stark contrast in our away results and our home results; often things are seen as weaknesses when in actual fact the margins between what is perceived as success and failure are minuscule. You could argue that we showed good mental strength against the three promoted teams away from home, in hindsight three very good results; if you throw Swindon and Port Vale away games into that mix, then that’s not a bad return against the top sides; do we have a different outlook or different motivation at other times?
In all honesty, I’m down about missing out on the play-offs, but will take a standing eight count and return with gusto next season with high expectations; why bother if you don’t, but each to their own and I’m all for people letting off steam.
It’s not the end of the road, it’s a service station stop off (Burger King vegan/vegetarian selection is top notch :)); come July the journey begins again.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
But doesn’t mental strength improve with appropriate guidance/mentoring and support mechanisms in place.
I think as a person, it's either in you or it isn't. I don't believe you can change the character of a person. You can make them feel valued, give them support etc etc but when it comes to the crunch, you soon see what a person is made of.

Look at Dale Jennings. Ability not in question but he was flawed, he was given guidance and told this is where you need to be to move on at one of the biggest clubs in the world. Mentally, he wasn't there and ended up snacking on pot noodles, not learning the language and booking a quick return ticket back home. He could have been some player too.

We want players that will fight for the shirt. Is that too much to ask?

I think we had something like a win percentage of 70 at home. How could we be so good and so poor at the same time? It is the same group of players, same manager. However only they can influence what goes on on the pitch when the whistle goes and most of them could not perform under that pressure.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the inexperience of the squad was an issue away from home. There are a lot of players in the regular starting eleven who played their first games as a professional this season.

Those players can learn to deal better with the pressure of playing away from home.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well typically rovers get an away win when it was realistically too late but st least ended the season on s high.
I eventually found out the score early evening and the other scores.
Had the most amazing day ever, everything went like clockwork, the weather turned out great and the venue was stunning.
Off on honeymoon early tomorrow for a week in Spain will catch up on return

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It was a lovely sunny day, glad it went well @bigmart
Enjoy your honeymoon in Spain. I assume you're going to treat your wife to a day out at the Bernabéu? :lol: :laugh:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It was a lovely sunny day, glad it went well @bigmart
Enjoy your honeymoon in Spain. I assume you're going to treat your wife to a day out at the Bernabéu? :lol: :laugh:
Cheers. We are going to Costa blanca so away from football grounds !!!