• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Cup Orient v Rovers - FA Cup Second Round

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We missed out on a trip to Stoke, so at least not a big money-spinner

drwhoman

We missed out on a trip to Stoke, so at least not a big money-spinner
True but it would have been a minimum of 82k for the kitty. All very disappointing really. Others have well identified the mixed quality and inconsistency of our squad. I will be pleasantly surprised if this is any more than a ho hum season. Maybe there is some merit in RLC's suggestion that we need a Football Director and a Head Coach (MM). We do need younger, more hungry, players. Too many of the team are probably on their last professional contracts which, of course, means that there is going to be a big turnover again next summer which is never ideal for any manager or coach.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
True but it would have been a minimum of 82k for the kitty. All very disappointing really. Others have well identified the mixed quality and inconsistency of our squad. I will be pleasantly surprised if this is any more than a ho hum season. Maybe there is some merit in RLC's suggestion that we need a Football Director and a Head Coach (MM). We do need younger, more hungry, players. Too many of the team are probably on their last professional contracts which, of course, means that there is going to be a big turnover again next summer which is never ideal for any manager or coach.
£82,000 would not be game changing. We would need to make several hundred thousand for there to be a significant impact on recruitment.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Mickey has had his ups and downs in the transfer market, but he has normally been very good at assessing when a player is past his sell-by date. I remember he got rid of once excellent players like McNulty, Pringle, Buxton and Vaughan. None of them did anything after leaving Rovers.

When Micky returned at the end of May, he had to rely on others to assess who was worth a new contract, e.g. Feeney. I don't know how much say he had in signing new players and he must have been a bit out of touch with the English game and League Two. Certainly, the overall recruitment strategy will not have been his doing. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mickey has had his ups and downs in the transfer market, but he has normally been very good at assessing when a player is past his sell-by date. I remember he got rid of once excellent players like McNulty, Pringle, Buxton and Vaughan. None of them did anything after leaving Rovers.

When Micky returned at the end of May, he had to rely on others to assess who was worth a new contract, e.g. Feeney. I don't know how much say he had in signing new players and he must have been a bit out of touch with the English game and League Two. Certainly, the overall recruitment strategy will not have been his doing. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Fair points to a degree but Micky was only in Scotland for 1 season so he can't have been that out of touch with league 2 football.

Player
aldo
let us hope the Stadium does not take another battering today as we are supposed to be getting some of the worst winds, I love Micky and what he has done for the club, but he is one stubborn sod if he doesn't like you no matter what you don't play and we always play the same type of Football, and some times I just find it boring, Also I am not saying changing the Manager all the time helps, but some times the manager needs to change his thinking, we also need getting away from dadds army,and bring in some younger players