• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Oldham v Rovers

Match result

• Oldham

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oldham v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Boundary Park
Tuesday, December 7, 2021 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, December 7, 2021 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Morris with another great shot.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Only livened up since Morris came on....question is... wny didnt he start

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well for 85 minutes we were second best to a poor Oldham side who missed some easy chances but Jolley topped off a very good performance with a poachers goal.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Credit to Micky for bringing back Jolley and giving him a go, now if we can get a win on Saturday things will look better

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Huge win for Rovers. Made up for Jolley, I thought he was probably our best player with his runs and effort all game. The lads put in the effort (well, most of them) but there is a clear lack of quality on the pitch. Agree with frenchrover, the game changed when Morris came on. A decent side would have put Oldham to the sword, there was a lof of huffing and puffing and some poor finishing from Oldham, but we take what we can get and I hope that gives the lads a bit more confidence moving into the next few games.

Player
aldo
we are going to play a very good side at the weekend Rovers are going to have to Turn up big time,and again made up with tonight

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Over the 90 minutes Oldham had the bulk of the chances, hit the woodwork, had shots cleared off the line, a goal correctly disallowed and spurned a free header from an excellent cross. Things seemed to pick up with the late substitutions, Morris in particular going close on a couple of occasions and Foley stinging their keeper's palms before our late winner, well-finished by Jolley but some good work from Nevitt in the build-up.

Some detailed assessment still needed by the management team. Mcmanaman was patchy, Feeney's set-piece delivery continues to be woeful, Foley was very quiet until the last quarter of an hour or so. I wasn't expecting much from Jolley, but he seems to have improved out of all recognition and Nevitt looked much better with a strike partner rather than on his own up front. If the rumours of Glatzel being out of action for a while are accurate then at least we look to have something to work on. It was a brave decision by Micky to go for the Nevitt-Jolley pairing, but it paid off. Enjoying the win, fortuitous though it might be for the next few days before thoughts turn to the tougher game at the weekend.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we just about deserved that for the second half performance.

In the first half Oldham were the better side, and we rode our luck with the disallowed goal and the effort against the crossbar. However, I thought we looked better in the attacking areas than we did on Saturday, largely down to the energy and running of Jolley, who looked unrecognisable from the wan player who struggled to make any impression in his previous appearances. I thought we were second best in midfield in the first period , with Spearing looking unfit and having a poor game, and there was not enough protection for the back four.

However, after the break we kept the ball much better and were the better side. Yes, Oldham still missed a sitter with a free header, but we had much more control, and I thought Feeney played well and helped us to get up the pitch, albeit his final ball still deserted him at times. The timing of the substitutions was perfect, O'Connor and Morris giving us the energy we needed, and the latter again showing he is a class act at this level.

Individually, I thought the two centre halves were very good, which they needed to be in the first half given the lack of midfield protection, and another poor defensive display from MacDonald. However, Jolley was man of the match. In addition to the goal, he demonstrated he has other talents, linking the play well at times, and carrying the ball with skill and trickery. As with Glatzel, it is incredible what a spell away from the first team squad can do for the confidence of a young player.

I did not think the victory was lucky, as we ultimately took one of our opportunities and Oldham spurned theirs, which is why they are second from bottom. We had numerous chances in the game, with Hawkes goalbound shot deflected wide. Morris hitting the crossbar and forcing a great save from the keeper, and Jolley nearly adding a second after his goal.

On to a very different assignment at Exeter on Saturday.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Glatzel and NKP both out for a few weeks with hamstring injuries, so Jolley likely to get an extended run in the team.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Glatzel and NKP both out for a few weeks with hamstring injuries, so Jolley likely to get an extended run in the team.
This Further highlights the poor summer recruitment, we don't have another recognised centre half so we are down to a 39vyear old and an injury prone centre half for a few weeks by the looks of it.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That's good news for Jolley. I hope he takes advantage of the opportunity. You wonder if the couple of goals he scored with Chester gave him some much needed confidence.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
That's good news for Jolley. I hope he takes advantage of the opportunity. You wonder if the couple of goals he scored with Chester gave him some much needed confidence.
He appears to be stronger than he was