• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Oldham v Rovers

Match result

• Oldham

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oldham v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Boundary Park
Tuesday, December 7, 2021 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, December 7, 2021 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is a trip to Boundary Park next for Rovers, as we hope to our respond to our humiliation on Saturday.

Oldham are having the kind of season that puts our own difficulties into perspective: mismanagement off the pitch, supporter unrest and a managerless side which could be on its way to the Conference. They are in terrible form, with four defeats in the last five league games. However, for all of their problems, the Latics have some decent attacking players like Bahamboula, Keilor-Dunne and Nicky Adams, as we saw in the cup ties with them earlier in the season. We will need to defend better than we did on Saturday to take anything from the game.

I think we will revert to the 442 diamond for this match, with Glatzel and Maynard up front. I don't think there will be wholesale changes, as there were so many poor performances on Saturday it is difficult to scapegoat particular individuals.

With a very difficult game to follow at Exeter on Saturday, we need to pick up three points.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Already played the Latics twice this season; losing a two goal lead and on penalties in the Carabao Cup, then coming from behind to a 3-2 win in the Pizza Cup. Oldham have only played once since parting company with manager Keith Curle, a 0-1 Pizza Cup win at Sunderland.

How will Micky and the players respond to the disappointing Cup exit in East London? It sounded like there were too many out of sorts or uncommitted performances to drop all of them, so it's unlikely to be wholescale changes. As to the actual line up, I haven't a clue, though it wouldn't be a total surprise if we reverted to one up front and stuck with 5 at the back.

I don't live that far from Oldham and the weather forecast isn't too promising around here, with rain or possibly snow featuring tomorrow night.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Really hope micky doesn’t revert to one up front. As RLC says, the hosts have a couple of half decent attacking players but really we should be going there for three points and being positive as they are a poor side especially at the back.

i was there 2/3 ago when an in form rovers lost 2-0 with Oldham’s Peter Clarke keeping Norwood in his pocket all game. Had a decent pie but the weather putting me off at the moment plus i think midweek games can be purchased on ifollow.

After saturdays FA cup exit a defeat at boundary park would really not go down well at all with the SWA ahead of a tough trip to Exeter on Saturday

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we will play two up front. Although it was a relatively cautiously line up on Saturday, we still played two strikers, so I am pretty sure we will tomorrow night.

Player
aldo
we always struggle against teams who are poor and this season has been no different, really hope the lads have had it given to them over the last few days and hope some turn up with some pride and wanna play for the badge and the AMAZING FANS

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Although Oldham are pretty terrible at the moment, I don't think we've been pulling up trees either. I think it will be a huff and puff game that I hope we can just nick. We need the win before we move into the Xmas period with some tricky games coming up. I don't see many changes but I want to see fight from the players and some desire. Can't predict Rovers at the moment so not going to give a score.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Just about got over the regret for not submitting to the other half’s bickering to stay at home to put the Christmas decorations up, rather than going to that limp display at Orient. Long suffering Rovers supporters soon take defeats in their stride when there is real intense effort and desire but……
Still will watch IFollow with a hot brew in hand recalling previous trips to Boundary Park in winter. Hats off to those brave souls who attend!
Who knows if we will turn up? Think I would have Joe Murphy back in as he is still a top keeper, vocal and help steady the ship, Also Sam Foley in from the start and Davies back in if fit as we looked very solid not long ago and get back to what worked. Score 0-1 Rovers: Murphy with a wind assisted long range effort.

Player
ian goodison
agree with brightonian regards murphy,davies (if fit) & foley but it,s mickey so may want to give them a chance to redeem themselves, can,t help wondering if things are not well behind the scenes only second guessing (too much time on my hands now retired) just want something to cheer the one,s up who are braving the conditions

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
First goal as ever will be key. I suspect they’ll be a reaction after Saturday and we’ll start the game on the front foot. If we can score early then we could win comfortably. If we don’t make any early pressure count and let them get in front then it could be a long night.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I hope for a win against what is a poor team but I'm not confident we well get the win

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Jolley starts with Nevitt, really struggling to understand Micky's selections.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Assume glatzel injured as not in the squad. Maynard needs match fitness so he needs to be starting games. No issue in recalling Jolley as in good form at Chester’s level but to start him in a big league two game seems strange….

hopefully a rovers win with Jolley scoring but if he struggles and is taken off then it just looks wrong

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
OConnor dropped and spearing starts. A bit harsh on Lee perhaps

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Assume glatzel injured as not in the squad. Maynard needs match fitness so he needs to be starting games. No issue in recalling Jolley as in good form at Chester’s level but to start him in a big league two game seems strange….

hopefully a rovers win with Jolley scoring but if he struggles and is taken off then it just looks wrong
Glatzel and knight-percival injured

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
What a very strange line-up that is.

Glatzel and Knight-Percival both missing through injury. Given Maynard and Nevitt showed some signs of linking up when Nicky first joined, it seems brave verging on foolhardy to be starting with the inexperienced pair up front instead. Elsewhere O'Connor and Morris, who were two of the better players at Orient get dropped, not that's more than faint praise while Spearing is recalled. Still no sign of Merrie and Walker. Real misgivings about this line-up, hope to be proved wrong. Right now I'd be happy with a draw.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well, I'm glad Davies is back in, not a big KP fan at all. That is one very young, inexperienced front two. One on hand, I'm glad they are getting a chance, especially Jolley, but this is the state we find ouselves in when we don't recruit properly. Anyway, fingers crossed it works out.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with Ian about Davies over KP and like he says, despite glatzels injury it just shows how poor striker recruitment has been (but why isn’t Maynard starting????)

Player
aldo
I am Jolly happy LOLhe is starting hope he has a good game, Nevitt needs to start to produce something goal wise now,I hope we get the win we could do with it

Player
aldo
he is past it too old and can,t score either, a lad I work with is a Newport fan, and saying how shit he was with then last season