• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Oldham v Rovers

Oldham v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Boundary Park
Tuesday, April 2, 2019 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Norwood
I hope Banks has the same impact as he did against Carlisle, and that we don't pick up any unnecessary bookings in midfield!

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Have to hope Harris and Banks don't do anything stupid, as both have form for it this season. There are a few names I don't recognise in the Oldham line-up

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sloppy start from Rovers and we've been punished. Early days though. Come on Rovers!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Never really got going and Oldham stood firm in the second half. Bury lost 3-0 at home so we keep plugging away.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounded like a fair few were below par tonight. A bit puzzled that MM only made one sub, given the way the game was going.

drwhoman

Will look forward to the usual excellent RLC report but from the stats it looks like we were slow out of the blocks and needed a goal before half time to get some momentum. Seemed to have more of the play in the second half but a breakaway goal and good defending from Oldham saw us undone. On the subs I suppose MM felt that his team were doing enough but just could not put the ball in the net. At least Bury lost - 0-3 at home to Cambridge really looks strange. Overconfidence maybe. I suspect Rovers have to be more assertive from the start at Newport.

trappershat

Watched it on iFollow as i had to work late so couldn't go the game. Don't think we played that bad, Oldham played well and we struggled to create any clear cut chances. As others have said elsewhere a game to many. On another note the iFollow commentators are just dreadfull. 10 minutes to go and one of them was on about getting off so he can beat the traffic! FFS bit of perspective wouldn't go a miss.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We are still closer to automatic promotion than dropping out of the play-offs, but we have lost control of our destiny. We are certainly not out of it yet. A maximum of four wins out of the final six games will guarantee the play-offs. If two of those wins are against Bury and MK Dons, we should be very close to the top three. The important thing for now is that we bounce back on Saturday at Newport.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Really disappointed with that given our recent run and the numbers we took.
We started brightly and Morris looked lively and I thought we’d be ok but the first of two mistakes cost us. Lang skinned Ellis, came inside and fired in at the near post. We huffed and puffed and got plenty of crosses in that were either overhit or easily dealt with by the Oldham defence with only Nors offering any aerial threat.

Second half we kept going and after a decent spell were undone by another mistake. Monthe this time completely losing Lang who again finished well. After that you could tell it was one of those nights. Oldham to be fair defended well and never gave us much time on the ball. But what is disappointing is the manner of their 2 goals which were preventable. Banks was poor and at times bizarrely played on the left of a midfield 4 with CJ behind Nors. Was disappointed at 2-0 down we didn’t bring a second striker on and instead put smith on who was ineffective. We had Mullin, Dagnall and Pringle twiddling their thumbs whilst Micky persisted with the likes of Jennings, banks and Mullin - none of which had good games. What else is a squad for?

Not the end of the world but Mansfield etc will be made up with our result and burys too.

The only positive was a decent peppered steak pie

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We are still closer to automatic promotion than dropping out of the play-offs, but we have lost control of our destiny. We are certainly not out of it yet. A maximum of four wins out of the final six games will guarantee the play-offs. If two of those wins are against Bury and MK Dons, we should be very close to the top three. The important thing for now is that we bounce back on Saturday at Newport.
Newport have two games in hand, win those and they’re in touching distance of the play-offs.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky confirmed post match that McCullough has done his cruciate ligaments so out for a while

• Wow
Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
.... which is just another reason why we need a win on Saturday.
I agree. Of the games we have left, all, at this stage, are against sides still involved in either promotion/relegation issues. Oldham were the exception, which makes it all the more disappointing that we come away from Boundary Park with nowt.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It was one of those nights. The two centre halves have been superb in recent weeks but were very poor tonight, a mistake from Ellis costing us the first goal, an error from Monthe the second, although you have to say Lang took his chances very well and was outstanding.

We conceded the goals at crucial times: Oldham clearly set up to sit deep and frustrate us and play on the counter attack, and by conceding so early we played right into their hands. It was always going to be difficult to break down a packed defence with a 451 and Norwood had no space to run into and had a poor game. I disagree with Sparky about Smith who I thought did make a positive impact, and we created our first couple of genuine chances when he came on. It seemed an equaliser was imminent, but then we made another crucial error at a vital moment, conceded the second and the game was over.

We had plenty of possession tonight, dominating for long periods, but we were poor around both boxes: we lacked that bit of imagination we needed to break Oldham down, and our final ball was consistently poor, particularly from wide areas. At the other end of the pitch, I thought Manny and Ellis looked shaky all game and never really got to grips with Lang. While Harris had a decent game, I think we badly missed the work of McCullough in protecting the back four.

There were some positives to take from the game. We passed it well all night, albeit without a cutting edge, and looked a much better footballing side than Oldham. Despite the defeat, there were some good performances from Perkins, Morris, Jennings and Smith and the players kept playing and battling even at 2-0, just as the SWA kept singing.

We were always going to lose a game some time, but our response is crucial. Win on Saturday and we can quickly put tonight behind us.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree. Of the games we have left, all, at this stage, are against sides still involved in either promotion/relegation issues. Oldham were the exception, which makes it all the more disappointing that we come away from Boundary Park with nowt.
That is football. We have beaten a number of top sides in the last few weeks, that we would never have expected to get victories against. It is actually more damaging to lose to a direct promotion rival.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
That is football. We have beaten a number of top sides in the last few weeks, that we would never have expected to get victories against. It is actually more damaging to lose to a direct promotion rival.
The old Brian Clough quote about football being played on grass not paper still holds. I didn’t predict a result for this one, but wasn’t expecting us to lose.

Would be interested in your views and those of Sparky and anyone else at the game about Banks seemingly being deployed out wide. Also should Micky have looked at making more use of the subs?

drwhoman

Looks like that it is with McCullough if he has done his cruciate. He will not play again this season. Is he still on loan? Certainly a guy to try and sign in the summer if that is the case.

Player
Manager
John King
As far as I could see Banks had a number ten / free role in the first half, but was moved out to the left for a brief period in the second half when we switched to 442 (prior to Smith coming on), with Jennings just behind Norwood. I personally thought the substitutions were correct and did improve the performance, but we conceded through a defensive error just when it seemed we were going to get back in the game. Jennings was playing well in my view, so I would not have replaced him with Mullin / Dagnall. The Oldham fans got to Banks and he had a shocker, as in the return fixture. He probably should have been subbed.

There is a lot of nonsense being talked about tactics tonight. We started with the same tactics that won us seven games in a row, but certain players were below par and we made errors at crucial moments in the game.