• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Next Tranmere manager

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I would not be unhappy with Jackson. He fits the Tranmere mould of being an ex-player He provides valuable continuity, which should mean we start the season better than with other candidates. I don't know how much of our recent success was due to Jacko or what his strengths are, but I'd be willing to find out.

drwhoman

I would not be unhappy with Jackson. He fits the Tranmere mould of being an ex-player He provides valuable continuity, which should mean we start the season better than with other candidates. I don't know how much of our recent success was due to Jacko or what his strengths are, but I'd be willing to find out.
Any new Manager is a risk but he is as good as any. He will know the existing squad which helps immensely. I am sure Micky gave him a good reference!

ADD

Player
Norwood
Do we want continuity though BBC? Surely there is a new normal post COVID - will need to play youngsters/ have smaller squads than under MM. Also re continuity we only have 10 players under contract leaving aside the 3 first year professionals. Manny and CBT must be question marks and Nelson maybe will want to go also so possibly only 7 that Jacko has coached. A new broom in the circumstances would seem to make more sense now when a squad can be assembled than if we had a full squad just needing tweaking/ motivating.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If it is Jackson, why hasn’t an announcement been made already, given AM knows Mark and Nicola aren’t on holiday?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Pleased with that and it is interesting that MP mentions continuity in his statement.

Good luck Jacko !

Player
ian goodison
at least now we have a manager in place we can put the speculation to bed not my 1st choice but wish him every success

Player
Manager
John King
I think the appointment of Jackson has to help with the retention of the better players who are out of contract. There is also some talk of the likes of Woodyard being tempted back.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think the appointment of Jackson has to help with the retention of the better players who are out of contract. There is also some talk of the likes of Woodyard being tempted back.
Ellis banks and Gilmour are the out of contract players i hope we can re-sign, the rest I'm not too bothered about.

I would be very surprised.If we can afford woodyard especially with a salary cap on the way.

Player
Manager
John King
Ellis banks and Gilmour are the out of contract players i hope we can re-sign, the rest I'm not too bothered about.

I would be very surprised.If we can afford woodyard especially with a salary cap on the way.
I agree about Ellis and Banks, but I am not too fussed about Gilmour.

I would hope we can also sign McCullough permanently, depending on other incomings, and Nelson and Caprice are capable of doing a job in League Two.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If that's the case, it's a shame he wasn't appointed earlier to try and persuade Connor Jennings to stick around!

Of the out of contract players, Ellis is the one I'd most like to hang onto. If Jackson rates Gilmour more highly than Micky appeared to, then I'd keep him too. No strong feelings either way about the rest.

Jackson as manager is an appointment, which is not without it's risks. Having made his choice, I would hope that Mark helps him by avoiding ramping up expectations and when the time comes, provides some funds for squad building.

Player
Manager
John King
If that's the case, it's a shame he wasn't appointed earlier to try and persuade Connor Jennings to stick around!

Of the out of contract players, Ellis is the one I'd most like to hang onto. If Jackson rates Gilmour more highly than Micky appeared to, then I'd keep him too. No strong feelings either way about the rest.

Jackson as manager is an appointment, which is not without it's risks. Having made his choice, I would hope that Mark helps him by avoiding ramping up expectations and when the time comes, provides some funds for squad building.
He might not have wanted to keep Jennings, or at least not at the expense of losing other players.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I agree about Ellis and Banks, but I am not too fussed about Gilmour.

I would hope we can also sign McCullough permanently, depending on other incomings, and Nelson and Caprice are capable of doing a job in League Two.
caprice I believe is or has gone back down south, jobs are supposedly after nelson who had a filing out last season so.may go.

Mark in his interview said that Jacko has already spoken to one of our intended targets.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Interesting choice not what I expected until the rumours hit couple of days ago - just looked back at the start of this thread and he was never mentioned as a possibility - maybe because everyone assumed he would go with MM?
Don't think it smacks of ambition one iota and ultimately surprised that the Santini group did not push for a more high profile name. Going to be very difficult for him next season for sure so let's hope he does the business from the start and we can only wish him well.
Any news on contract length as I don't think it has been mentioned?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Don’t think it was mentioned ADD. I’m guessing Jacko didn’t want to follow Micky and with the current climate, it may just be a rolling 12 month deal which makes it less of a financial risk for Palios.

I still think some of the big names like cook and Coleman wouldn’t have come. Adkins May be enjoying retirement as his success was a long time ago. As for Other names like fowler, Barry or McGreal, personally I’d prefer Jacko for all the reasons palios stated

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Parky still rumoured to be assistant: I think under Micky Jacko did all the coaching on the training ground whereas Micky was a ‘manager’.

jackos title is first team coach but he may have to do less given his promotion

Player
aldo
let's hope we don't have loads of Thrillers!!!!!!. let,s get behind him support the lads and see what next season brings. he knows the club inside out knows the player's let's give him a chance