• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Next Tranmere manager

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Have some faith guys.. Have you forgotten how far we've come with Mark and Nicola at the helm. Let's trust them to first make a decent managerial appointment and then we can concentrate on players. Good luck to Connor too, great servant over the last four years.
If rumours are to be believed 4 or 5 of the 10/players we have under contract are going to be sold, if this happens it will need a massive rebuilding of the squad for whoever the new manager is and they will have their work cut out for a successful season .

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
.......... some suggestion on another site that Mark and Nicola are on holiday at present (and who could blame them, given what we've had to contend with), so that may not be imminent.
That would make sense to me. I have been in communication with her recently and things have gone quiet. They must need a holiday and they may be interviewing other candidates on their return.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think any new manager would object if large parts of the budget were unnecessarily tied up before he arrived. We have no idea if the new incumbent would rate Jennings and co., whether they fit into his style of football, and so on.

If that was not case, chairmen could assume total responsibility for recruitment.
A manager coming into any club will have to work with the existing players, even if only to determine they don't fit into their plans. Most of our playing budget is already tied up with the players already under contract.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A manager coming into any club will have to work with the existing players, even if only to determine they don't fit into their plans. Most of our playing budget is already tied up with the players already under contract.
But it would be most irregular for a chairman to make the recruitment decisions. Otherwise why bother to appoint a manager ?

The existing players were chosen by the previous manager, not an administrator. Palios is not strictly qualified to put a playing squad together.

Player
aldo
Mark and Nicky are not on their hols. they are going abt the business quietly as mark said they won't announce anything till there is something to announce. I know a few who work at the ground most of them on the pitch. oh and they are loving it the best they have worked with and it's not hard to see why. with no season on the horizon and not likely to be one for a few months yet that are holding back to save the club money and with a second wave most likely in the winter when the season might get cut again who can blame him. its frustrating for all of us lets stay positive. it will happen

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
But it would be most irregular for a chairman to make the recruitment decisions. Otherwise why bother to appoint a manager ?

The existing players were chosen by the previous manager, not an administrator. Palios is not strictly qualified to put a playing squad together.
There’s a difference between assembling a full squad and renewing a couple of contracts though. Some suggestion that Mark has had some involvement in player movement previously and no idea how accurate they are. However if we were buying a player and Mark didn’t think it was a good move, would he make the funds available?

Player
Manager
John King
There’s a difference between assembling a full squad and renewing a couple of contracts though. Some suggestion that Mark has had some involvement in player movement previously and no idea how accurate they are. However if we were buying a player and Mark didn’t think it was a good move, would he make the funds available?
But how does he determine which couple of players are worthy of contracts and those that are not ? That is a subjective call and is the manager's job, not his.

Player
ian goodison
seeing as Jackson is responsible for most of the coaching I too am not impressed but can he attract players to come here ? glad I,m not mark/Nicola massive decision to be made

ADD

Player
Norwood
That would be to my mind underwhelming. I had expected he was being interviewed as a courtesy. I am not in favour of a manger with no previous No1. experience. Yes everyone must start somewhere but I would prefer not at my club. He will be cheaper than the other managers of course... No pay off needed if he steps up and also likely willing to accept a lower salary to get his first managerial appointment.

Player
Manager
John King
I would be happy enough with Jackson personally. He knows the club and the current squad well, which gives us some continuity, and he has played a key role in four very successful seasons.

It remains to be seen whether he can succeed as a number one, but most of the other names touted carried some kind of risk.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mike Jackson is not totally devoid of managerial experience, having a stint at Shrewsbury and being unable to turn things around and keep them up. However the last manager with a similar cv, Dave Watson turned out to be a big disappointment.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He knows the club well. He's been though the good times recently and knows what is required as the boss. Wouldn't particularly object. Like RLC says, everyone is a risk.

Player
Manager
John King
However, Watson had no previous association with the club.

Palios has worked closely with Jackson for four years and must believe he is capable.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
You never know, Jacko might have coincidently felt it was the right time to make the step up having earned his stripes as a number 2. RLC makes valid points on continuity and Jacko contributing to an overall successful few years. The decision does make sense on some levels and he deserves a go.

he may not be a big name but hopefully Tranmere in L2 with the stadium, pitch and training facilities will attract players.

In my view he is a better option than the likes of fowler or Barry. McGreal was possible but my choices of Cook or Coleman, or maybe Adkins just weren’t realistic.

Will be interesting if he brings in a number 2 or to save money we bring back Garnett or give it to Parky. Would love McNulty to come back as player coach

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
As a coach i have no concerns with Jacko being at the helm. The area that does concern me is recruitment. However I have no idea as to how much involvement or input he may have had in the past. I dont think not being a big name is an issue in L2, but having a good network of people you can use for recruitment is crucial. How many players we will be able to recruit is questionable, so he may just be tasked with making the most of whoever is left, plus the youths.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Jackson apparently to be announced on monday, Parkinson likely to be assistant according to another site.

Any appointment is a risk this will be more so as a first time manager with a soon to be introduced salary cap and a massive squad rebuild.